Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2001, 12:14 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, it's cricket season again!!!!!!!!!!

The Aussies left for Gallipoli yesterday, on their way to merry old England, to try and keep those horrible Poms from taking the Ashes back. This thread is therefore a celebration of Australian cricketing magnificence, as I am confident that in days to come we will repeatedly be entertained by their ginormous feats of daring and skill.

I'm forgetting something...what is it??

Oh...England are playing, too. (j/k)

No matter who you support, visit this thread in weeks to come and post your comments and opinions? Can England survive without Nasser Hussein? Will the Aussies be stretched past three days in any Test? Who will stop Shane Warne and his lethal flipper?

Let us know!

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 12:28 PM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

oohh.. noo... not again.... hockey! hockey!!

teach how to play it and ill be there routiing fer ye!!!

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 05-29-2001, 12:29 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

All are welcome to post here, even if you don't know what cricket is. And it's "cricket", not "a cricket".

I am particularly interested in responses from Donut on this topic.

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 12:33 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Well I'm not Donut (though I am rather shaped like a LARGE one). Please explain
the game to me (briefly please). Being a dumb old Yankee, (can't believe I just called myself a Yankee, being from the south and all!) I don't get it? It kinda reminds me of Baseball. I know its not though.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 05-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

NO!! NOT the CRICKET invasion again!

EEEFFF! Those bugs are so persistent! sigh...I was sure I eradicated them last time...hmmm...*hunts through pack for Extra Strength Anti-Cricket spray* AHA! Here it is, hmmmm, not much left. Ah well, you Crickets are safe for now, but I will return! BWAHAHAHHA!!

The Cloudinator

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 05-29-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
It kinda reminds me of Baseball. I know its not though.

Baseball!?!

Sir Taliesin, please!

Where do I start. There are 11 men each side. They play 2 innings in a Test match. If a team is attacking in their first innings, then they will be defending in their second. There is a long rectangular strip of grass in the middle of the field called a wicket. On either side of that wicket are 3 stumps with bails on top. The attacking side has a bowler that tries to hit this stump. In an over they bowl six balls from each end, alternating after each "over" (6 balls bowled). They must have their elbow straight while bowling until after they release the ball.

There are 2 batsmen at any given time, one on each end, defending the stumps. Their objectives are 1) protect the stumps from being hit; and 2) make runs in the process. If they hit the ball they can run to the other end. If the ball is caught they are out. If the ball is thrown to either end and one of them is not in his crease (crease is at either end of the wicket) and the bails are taken off the stumps, then that batsman is out. If the batsman hits the ball and it travels to the fence, then that is automatically 4 runs. If they hit the ball over the fence that is 6 runs. If they hit it out of the ground that is still 6 runs and someone has to go and find the original ball.

If a bowler hits the stumps (the batsman fails to hit the ball or it bounces off the bat on to the stumps then the batsman is out. The next batsman then comes up. (People have been known to bat all day - 8 hours if they are really good.) If the stumps fall 10 times (i.e. 10 batsmen get out) then that team has been "dismissed" for however many runs they made. The minimum number of overs that a team has to bat is 75. They can bat on after this if they want but it will leave them less time to bowl the opposition out. If after 75 overs they have lost less than 10 wickets, then they can "declare" their score, and make a decision to send the other team in to bat. Teams win by bowling the opposition out in both innings and having a higher aggregate score.

Clear as mud? I've left out about a million details because my fingers are starting to hurt. Any cricket aficianados out there that might be able to clarify?

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 04:27 PM   #7
Lord Shield

Stop us from taking the ashes back? Who need to. Our cricket team is full of losers, with the exception of the non-English players (most of them). Brits only invented the game, doesn't mean we have to win it too

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-30-2001, 12:44 AM   #8
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Now... what are the chances od England winning one test?
I am getting a little tired of Australia not losing, or otherwise being challenged. :|

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 05-30-2001, 02:44 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

umm.. sort of.. kinda like... got it...

thanx anyway, but i prefer tennis and hockey! wehehe

anyways, what country is the "windies"???(cricket stuff, memnoch should know it)

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 05-30-2001, 02:50 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:

anyways, what country is the "windies"???(cricket stuff, memnoch should know it)

The West Indies. In the Carribean, they're known as the Calypso Kings.

------------------