Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-24-2001, 08:18 PM   #1
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I just completed BG2. I'm quite happy with myself. Didn't cheat once or use the XP cap remover. Gonna try it again with another class. I did it with a necromancer and a good group. I want to be evil thi time so I get Edwin. What group should I have and what should I play. I'm willin to try anything thats not mage related.

Warby
Old 11-24-2001, 09:26 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

a monk is nice and different. you will save on items as well, since monks dont use armour of any description. in an evil group -

jaheria, is neutral so will work. nalia and aerie are out. imoen and yohsi will work. minsc - i somehow doubt he will not attack you. edwin, obviously. mazzy, nope. anomen, nope. keldorn, nope. korgan - a good evil fighter for you. S - no thats a spoiler and not available till much later. haer'de'leis - nope. cernd - a druid and so neutral. will work. but crap. so wont. viconia - shes a drow, and not a good one like drizzt. take her.

the problem with an evil party isnot so much choosing who to take, but praying there enough of them. to keep neutrals keep you rep above 4. to keep evils, keep it below 18. use slayer when you get it, kill some innocents until then. be careful what quests you take. the problem is that rep seems to want to rise unless you do evil things the whole time. do not even think about donating at temples.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:10 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

I remember reading an article in one of the online gaming magazine pages about playing evil within BG2 that was very interesting.

The main point that I remember from it was that roleplaying evil is not necessarily about killing everything in sight like a ravaging monster. Sometimes it can be more subtle. Stealing from the stores. Always demanding to be paid for jobs. Donating to temples is actually OK up to a point. (Imagine the crime boss that donates heavily to the church to build a good rep in his neighborhood. Is that crime boss "evil"? Of course he is. Does he have a "good rep"? Also yes.)

Roleplaying evil doesn't require you to be in search of the lowest possible rep. It is possible to roleplay evil and yet have a relatively high rep. Having a good rep keeps prices reasonable at the stores that you're not robbing and the local constabulary off your back.

Of course, if you want to roleplay a ravaging mad-dog killer ....
Old 11-24-2001, 10:14 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

Oh, on the topic of which characters to include in an evil party ...

Anomen actually can be a perfectly good candidate for an evil party, if you manipulate him properly. Remember, when you meet him, he's on the cusp of a personal struggle in which he can go either way. Push him the "evil" way and he's yours.
Old 11-25-2001, 07:42 AM   #5
Barb
Symbol of Cyric

Yup, he becomes a fallen Paladin
Old 11-25-2001, 06:22 PM   #6
Warby
Zhentarim Guard

I was thinkin of a monk or bard. I'll prob just play good again. Sir Amomen was a very good cleric.Keldorn was a good fighter. Jaherie ended up as a fighter and wasn't very good. Won't use her next time. Jan was a ok back-up/support mage.Valygar was good when duel wielding Daystar and celestial fury and eventually the equaliser sword. what about:

Me: Monk
Sir Anomen-Good Cleric
Keldorn-good at killing demons and handy dispel magic
Jan-good thief/mage
Hier'Darlis-Never had him before
Valygar-Good fighter

I've just swapped Jaherie for Hier'Darlis.What about that group?

Warby
Old 11-25-2001, 08:17 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Personally I think Jaheira is one of the best, most versatile NPCs in the game, as well as the one with the best-thought-out character, but whatever rocks your boat [img]smile.gif[/img]
I would try to use only NPCs you haven't had before... what's the point in playing with all the same guys from your previous game? If you play good, take along Mazzy, Nalia, Aerie, HaerDelis, Imoen.... just try to take on new people, see what they are like, try different romances and dialogues.... [img]smile.gif[/img]