Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Problem with my Icewind Dale game...

I hope this is the right place to post this problem, I'm new to the site, and I have a question. I've had Icewind Dale for a long while now, and am having a great time with it, but here's what's going on... I played it a while back, but never really finished the game, but within the past week I've gone back to complete the adventure, but every minute or so, my game freezes up, and I have to restart my computer to make things work again. But when I go back to play, after a minute, it freezes again. I have Windows XP Professional x64 edition, tons of memory and hard drive space. Can anyone help me with this situation? Thanks - Gavindale
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

Default Re: Problem with my Icewind Dale game...

Is there anything different about your OS compared to when you first played it with no problems? Because the game is a few years old, it sometimes has problems with newer systems, such as Vista.

Freezes generally indicate bugs or graphics issues. Try messing around with your graphics options.

Another option is to backup your save games and reinstall, but I wouldn't do that until you're sure it's not an OS or graphics issue. Sometimes files get corrupted and a reinstall will take care of that.

Last edited by Aerich; 12-06-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Aerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Gavindale
The Magister

Well, I know that when I first bought and played Icewind Dale, I was using Windows 98, which is the recommended version listed on all the sites I've been to. So yes, you are probably right, Windows XP might just be too new for the game to work perfectly. Concerning a possible graphics issue, my card is pretty much top notch, which again presents the possibility that the game is not really compatible with it. What I might have to do is obtain a Virtual PC and install Icewind Dale to that.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

IWD1&2,BG1TotSC, and BG2 and all it's expansions run just fine on XP 32bit. I suspect it's the 64bit that's giving you the problem.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Go to config. Disable all graphics options. 3D acceleration and such. See if this helps.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

I know you can have issues with XP if you have the game installed then install SP2. It does funny things. I had to reinstall the game.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Shadow Stranger

I have Windows XP and I have never had any problem with the game freezing. I never got around to finishing it.

Have you tried the Windows Compatibility function? In Windows Explorer right click the program and bring up the context menu. Choose the Properties line, then you will see a display with various tabs. One tab is called Compatibility, choose it and check the relevant boxes.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Gavindale
The Magister

Well, it's been quite a while now, but I think I have this IWD problem down, I had to change OS and all. I think it will work now. Question for you guys... are there any sites or downloads for character portraits or any other downloads that might be of interest? I know I posted this question a moment ago, but I don't really know how to delete that post and keep this one. Any help with my question is greatly appreciated! Thanks! -- Gavin
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/index.php

Check the subsections on the left... under mods and customizations you can find some portraits.

Though I haven't checked any of these myself so can't vouch for anything...