Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-17-2001, 01:58 PM   #131
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
If someone, commits a crime, it isn't because of society. If someone commits a murder, it isn't because of the tool he used to do the job. We have lost the sense of personal responsibility in our society, and that more than anything else will bring its downfall.
It is true to say we have lost the sense of personal responsiblity regarding crime, however it is untrue to remove blame from society and the tool. They are not mutually exclusive but go hand in hand.

A suicide bomber needs a bomb to perform the crime. A thief needs a tool to break a lock. An iron bar or an axe will do far more damage than an closed fist. Same person, same intent, less damage with no tool.

Society is also very much to blame. Where are people NOT learning the skills needed to survive nonviolently. Drugs are a social problem and the cause of much crime in Australia.

When we blame we (need to) blame an individual, the tool, and society - not exclusively one or the other.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 06-17-2001).]
Old 06-19-2001, 06:02 PM   #132
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It is true to say we have lost the sense of personal responsiblity regarding crime, however it is untrue to remove blame from society and the tool. They are not mutually exclusive but go hand in hand.

A suicide bomber needs a bomb to perform the crime. A thief needs a tool to break a lock. An iron bar or an axe will do far more damage than an closed fist. Same person, same intent, less damage with no tool.

Society is also very much to blame. Where are people NOT learning the skills needed to survive nonviolently. Drugs are a social problem and the cause of much crime in Australia.

When we blame we (need to) blame an individual, the tool, and society - not exclusively one or the other.

Well said, Yorick! I am also the sort of person to intervene if I see something wrong happening. Never needed any other weapon than a cold steely voice, either. In countries where guns are not readily available, most of the thugs get scared if they realise you are not afraid of them.

Another 'weapon' I have found useful when confronted by a group of youngsters clearly 'looking for trouble', is to approach them with a pleasant smile and ask for assistance. It is amazing to see the change of expression, and how eager they become to help. One such group was a local 'gang' who were known to the police as 'dangerous'. They treated me with the utmost courtesy. I would not dare approach such youngsters if I'd thought they carried firearms - and I'd probably have been mugged.
Weapons promote violence, they don't protect society from it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 06-19-2001).]