Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2001, 04:52 AM   #1
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

I would like to announce our need for an Official Archiver for The renowned and beloved establishment we fondly call the Moon's Hope Inn. That person would be one who could not only archive all the way to when someone (I don't know who, I haven't caught up with my back-reading yet ) first mentioned we should have the party for the initiation of our own sweet Ranger Zeeke in his new capacity as Corset Loosener (also adding the party invite(s) threads -I will make a list of links later). Preferrably in .pdf format, but if anyone has an idea for a better format, whatever would be best and easiest. He/she would also need a site big enough and available enough for us all to view/download from... PDF's are pretty big... Each page of a thread is between 300-700 kb's (averages 12 PDF pages). I know because (here comes news I haven't shared yet 'cause I wasn't decided as to what to do with it) I found most of the original crashed thread (Hello EveryOne! Come on in...Take a load off!!! -03-13 to 03-18). All but the first page (gone ) and page six, the second half of which should have gone to page 37 (nonexistent) It was purely by accident that I found it. In the large threads, I make it a habit to make bookmarks to some of the 'inner' pages... I was sadly preparing to delete the bookmarks to the thread after Ziroc told me it couldn't be saved when I decided to click on one. What the h&ll, I thought, and imagine my surprise when it took me straight to page fifteen! I printed them to PDF format, all 35 (37, missing pages 1 and 37) Graphics didn't come out great, but they are recognizable. It's big, though! 12.7 mb's for the whole thread and just under 5 mb's zipped up! ( again!) Anyhow, I haven't said anything 'cause I'm not really wanting to load them on my public Extra Downloads page as public domain, and they watchdog pretty closely, prohibiting any downlowds that don't have a specific link on their site (I can understand why, as they give you unlimited space and don't want people using it as a warez mirror site) I don't want to make these public domain! They our ours alone!

Anyone willing and able to take this on please apply here! Not only will you have to do the work of archiver and have a site to host them on, you would be asked to proudly display "Official Archiver of The Moon's Hope Inn" in your sig.

Ahem. Thank you, my friends! Please, all are welcome to the Inn! Stop by anytime!!! And she gracefully waits for any takers of her job notice...

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

[This message has been edited by LadyRae (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 03:28 PM   #2
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

BUMP!!!

Whoops! Didn't mean to be quite so loud! Just saving this poor little post bofore it d r o w n s ! I saw you all at the Inn, but I must dash off to rl and shouldn't even be doing this...

Please bump this for me! I realize I probably won't get any takers as there would be a lot of work involved in this position (that's why I'm not doing it -My plate is already too full!) But I want every one to see this. TTYL (probably for a little while around 6-7pm PDT). Be well.

------------------
Smitten by The.Relic

[This message has been edited by LadyRae (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 03:48 PM   #3
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Ahhh... Lovely Princess, I see that you have stopped in. I hope you pay a visit to the Inn. Sadly, I don't have a site, nor do I know how to go about getting one or setting it up. I also have very limited hd space, otherwise I would gladly offer. I am sorry dearest
I replied to your sweet e-mail this morning and it was returned to me, so I sent it again, I hope you get it.
Smitten by LadyRae
Old 04-01-2001, 05:51 PM   #4
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Giving a little help to a friend.. . . . BUMP!

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (the question is waiting for what?)
Yes, I do get cold. That is why I need someone to warm me up.
No, I did not lose the rest of my outfit!
Does anyone feel a draft or is it me?
Official Party Planner and Events Coordinator of the Moon's Hope Inn
Does this make me a party girl?
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild
Putting this in to see if BK is really reading

Old 04-01-2001, 06:40 PM   #5
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

LadyRae, I would love to archive the pages. However, I don't know how. I would need detailed instructions. BUT having said that, I'm hoping someone else will step forward instead... I already have too much to do in RL! LOL

Anyway, use me as your last resort.. but I'm willing. It would be a shame to lose so much interesting playing!

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
LadyRae, I would love to archive the pages. However, I don't know how. I would need detailed instructions. BUT having said that, I'm hoping someone else will step forward instead... I already have too much to do in RL! LOL

Anyway, use me as your last resort.. but I'm willing. It would be a shame to lose so much interesting playing!

I have Adobe Acrobat v 4.0 and was able to archive the Initiation Last night. Seems decent enough. Only thing is that it takes up about 2.3 MB (graphics included). It also has links enabled, so if you click on something outside of the archive, it will take you there. I had problems with Stealthy's link to his website though. It seems to recognize everything else, but can't make head's or tails out of that. My only other problem is that I don't have a Webpage that can handle but maybe two of these. I could put them on the X-Drive, but haven't found a good response for that. I could do like Moraine did with the CD's and just break the pages in halves or quarters til I could get it small enough to put on Stealthy's site. Have we figured out how much room he can handle? LadyRae, if you can handle an e-mail over 2 megs in size (probably like 3 megs as downloads seem to get bigger for some reason), I could e-mail you and let you tell me what you thought. Has anyone approached Wolfgir yet? He has server space and may be able to host it there. If we ask him REAL nice, I bet he would do it.

Ok, I thought the PDF format was optimized for compression, but I was able to ZIP the file to just below 1 meg too. This is sounding more and more possible all the time. I can't save that big a file to my AOL folder though, so we need someone to host it if they could. I can break it down in 2 halves and maybe get that to go. I will try that later tomorrow at work (fast connection). If someone can help me with the links (which ones you want archived), I believe I can handle it.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 04-01-2001).]
Old 04-01-2001, 07:51 PM   #7
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Oh Tobbin you are a saint!! Thank you for doing that!!! Uh... could I have a copy of the initiation please?

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-01-2001, 09:28 PM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Oh Tobbin you are a saint!! Thank you for doing that!!! Uh... could I have a copy of the initiation please?

I don't know if you're e-mail can handle it, but I just sent it. It's a little over 700 something K. Probably closer to 800k. Well, let us know what you think. I sent it to Cloudy too, but haven't heard back from her yet. Catch you guys later.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 04-01-2001, 09:48 PM   #9
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Tobbs, you rock! You could try to email crosswinds (I shouldn't have any trouble receiving, I hope) or mopy@mailandnews.com (they're back up) I did receive a failed to deliver message from an email The.Relic apparently tried to send earlier today (Marc, I didn't get it ) Can you think up a better (smaller) format? I tried it with html and decided that would be too piece-meal (though a lot smaller) and MS doc's would be just as big and a lot harder to deal with. I think the internet drive is a really good idea (doesn't MySpace.Com offer 300mb's?) Maybe one of us could set up an account then maybe email the username/password to all involved??? I'm really excited about this. I know I'm not the only one who would like to hang onto these. Like I said, I have 35 .pdf files (from the first thread that crashed) now that zip up to about 5 mb's (I do also have them in html format as download webpages)Let me know. Thanks! I think maybe we can make this happen!

------------------
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-01-2001, 10:06 PM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:
Tobbs, you rock! You could try to email crosswinds (I shouldn't have any trouble receiving, I hope) or mopy@mailandnews.com (they're back up) I did receive a failed to deliver message from an email The.Relic apparently tried to send earlier today (Marc, I didn't get it ) Can you think up a better (smaller) format? I tried it with html and decided that would be too piece-meal (though a lot smaller) and MS doc's would be just as big and a lot harder to deal with. I think the internet drive is a really good idea (doesn't MySpace.Com offer 300mb's?) Maybe one of us could set up an account then maybe email the username/password to all involved??? I'm really excited about this. I know I'm not the only one who would like to hang onto these. Like I said, I have 35 .pdf files (from the first thread that crashed) now that zip up to about 5 mb's (I do also have them in html format as download webpages)Let me know. Thanks! I think maybe we can make this happen!

Is it possible that you have the links still from where the pages you have are at? I am pretty familiar with PDF and it sounds like you used the PDFwriter rather than Adobe itself (printer driver dealio right?) I am using Adobe by capturing the website directly. Doesn't get all the white space, so it's smaller. I think I do have it set up for Printed output though, and I could change that to Screen output. That would make it even smaller. Also, I don't think I am LZH'ing the output either. That could tweak it even more (don't like doing that too much as you can lose some quality.)

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL