Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 04-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I'm going to just quote my friend Neb here:

Quote:
It's an MMORPG, yet an untraditional one.
For one thing, it's one of the rare few commercial MMORPG's that don't have a monthly fee. Secondly, it uses an unusual, though not entirely unique, instancing system that prevents a lot of "griefing." On top of that, they've practically eliminated grinding, levelling and camping as game-centric elements. It also uses a unique graphics engine, even on the lowest settings, almost everyone who's witnessed it has been impressed. And it probably has the best net code of any MMORPG ever. Even people with a 56k can play it with negligible lag.
so, its a MMORPG that looks good and is more than running between the outdoors and town to loot then sell?

Quote:
Exactly.

The focus is almost entirely on gameplay, completing missions and exploring. You never have to stop doing missions and exploring for a while to level so you can deal with the next mission or area. There are, of course, still elements of grabbing loot, selling them, getting better gear and so forth. And of course levels and XP still exist, but again, they're just sorta side-things, not the main point of the game. It also has a very nice PvP system. Based almost entirely around "arenas," PvP zones. Mostly team PvP, though.
what is the focal point then?

Quote:
Exploring. PvP. Guild Wars. Doing missions.
Click The links for screenshots I've taken:
A guild Wars Arena Of GodLike Proportions For Up to 4 Guilds to Fight Simultaneously For Controll of a Small Platform

As I'd put it:
It's about the things tha tmake an RPG fun without the things that make it boring like worying about "getting that right spell" or having to pick at your stats constantly or take an hour and a half just to reach a destination like in Final Fantasy XI.

Quote:
First off, the world is big enough that you can, quite frankly, spend at least several weeks finding every single nook and cranny. And that's with 24-hour-a-day playing.Secondly, it has a VERY long campaign that you can do if you want. Which also has the bonus that you can "skip" missions by exploring around them, since each has it's own starting and staging area, so if Mission #3 is really impossible for you, explore around it and find Mission #4.
Its large, but is it full of things to take up the space?

This area has no mission or quest signifigance, it's just there to be pretty, and look there are Mergoyles to slaughter.

Quote:
I'd say it is.

To describe how good it is...

Look at Ian. Ian likes anime a lot. Ian likes FFXI a lot. Ian played Guild Wars once or twice then sold his FFXI account and never played it again. Guild wars isnt even Anime Themed.
I played for a whole year and was totally addicted and had about 809 friends who I abandoned. Suckers, all of 'em [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Look at the various MMORPG's. If you buy WoW, and you want to go and explore it, then for every month that you spend exploring and levelling, you have to pay. So basically you have to rush through it as fast as you can to get your money's worth. And you'll be slowed down by having to level before you can explore new areas. GW, on the other hand, only costs you money once. So you can take a break from it when you feel like it, explore at your own pace, no need to rush and hurry.
FFXI cost me almost 500 dollars in all to play. I sold my character for 750 so i made a profit but there's still the point that the game was very time and money consuming where as guild wars is neither of those and just as fun!

Quote:
Guild Wars also has exceptional game balance. There is literally no single class that outclasses any other. Especially when it comes to teamplaying. Another bonus regarding Guild Wars. You can actually playing it singleplayer, albeit still online. There are six classes in the game, and you can combine two for your character or just make a single-class guy. Four of those six classes are present as NPC's that you can drag along into missions or explorable areas. And they are, in fact, surprisingly intelligent and skilled. Not to mention that they aren't "mercenaries" or anything that you need to hire for in-game money, they're free, like a public service if you can't find a party. Or if your party can't find someone willing to be a healer, they can drag along a Monk NPC.
Here's me standing next to a monk NPC enjoying the scenery

YES! I love being able to hire Healer Mage Bots without having to wait around for an actual healing-spell oriented monk to have to show up (as rare as they are) In FFXI I could spend up to 7 hours waiting JUST TO ASSEMBLE A PARTY because healers were so uncommon.

NOTE: Each Guild gets its own Custom Flag insignia which is worn by all guild members as a cape for a low one-time in-game currency price

Quote:
Yet another bonus. Whenever you discover a "safe" zone(Mission staging area, town, city.), you can instantly warp to it at any time, cutting down on having to walk for ages just to get somewhere to sell your stuff.
FFXI there was no town-warp, There was only a 30 minute airship ride or a 2 hour chocobo ride.

Quote:
Further advantage. No seperate "servers" or "shards." No matter where your friends are or when they signed up, you can play with them.
FFXI had a lot of servers and WOW has an ungodly number of servers, finding friends either way is nearly impossible and requires complete character recreation just to change servers and even then it is a random locaiton you are placed in so you have to annoyingly create over and over again and hope to get lucky.

And this is just by the lake... You wont beleive what you can find by the OCEAN...

Here's a question we got:

Quote:
Hmm. Is there a lot of variations in the game, like do you end up fighting the same generic boss or monster all over the place, and are characters very unique (like, for an example of few differences in a game would be Diablo II. They take 1 monster then make a new monster by changing the color and giving it an elemental attack or something similar)
Here's my response:
Well from what i've seen the monsters seem totally randomized at times while in other places, like training missions, they reoccur.

Quote:
For example, when you fight the Charr(Think pyromaniac orcs.), you fight a lot of Charr, but various classes of them.
See, most monsters have CLASSES.
Not most, ALL.
There is no monster that cant do something a player cant.

Quote:
Just like the player characters, in fact the same classes.
And in fact some monsters that can do things you can't.
so, the monsters are basically in effect very similar to PCs in what they are capable of doing, especially in battle?

Quote:
Pretty much, it's very evenly pitched at times. The monsters even tend to gather in "parties." For example when fighting the Shiverpeak Centaurs, it's common for them to have a Monk or two, a couple of Rangers for support and a few Warriors for front-line fighting.
so they are smart AI vs animated meat targets

Quote:
Some of the monsters even dual-classed and use both classes effectively.

I'd call them smart, yes. A lot of the zones are also pretty alive.

Monsters don't just stand around unless they're near a camp of some sort, usually, or are mindless monsters like undead.

They patrol, fight their enemies, etc.
It took this many NPCs to barley stay alive against the hoards of undead.

They arent afraid to call in reinforcements either.

Quote:
For example one area we were in we almost constantly saw these birdmen called Caromi Tengu fighting their mortal enemies the Ettins.

And yeah, if you hit ONE enemy in an army, be prepared for him to bring along all of his friends.

You also know how you can often just lure smaller groups off of large groups?

This works in Guild Wars. Against stupid enemies.

A few enemies are smart enough to only be lured a short distance away from their friends, then they run back to them.

But oh boy, if you manage to attract the ire of the ENTIRE army, then they aren't retreating at all, then they follow you till they catch you.
Another shot by the water

An interesting question: Is the world's enviroment dynamic?

Quote:
Not a lot of interaction with it, admittedly.
he's going to soon take that answer back [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Here was the guy's response: Well, i have a friend who plays WoW. One day he was talking to me about how the developers will sometimes add buildings in places and stuff like that

Quote:
I mean, the place is alive, but it's not like you can go into a forest and chop wood. Guild Wars is far more alive. Sometimes you'll leave an area, and then when you come back five minutes later, the devs will have changed something. Maybe added an NPC, a quest, changed the monsters, whatever.
oooh

Quote:
Indeed. And again, despite this, they manage to keep down the load on your conneciton. The only time that a "weak" connection might have problems is on entering a new area for the first time, then there's gonna be a good while of loading, I'm afraid. But during actual play, there should be few problems.
Aside from long load times you dont ever have a long LONG long load time after your first load tho [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Here are some of Neb's own screenshots:

One view of picteresque Lion's Arch bay

Kryta has it's share of unique sights

Ah and one last question:

How customizable are characters?

Quote:
Like I said.

Six classes, single or double-class are availiable combos. Several faces, sizes, hair styles and other things at character creation. Only one starting outfit, though, per class.

But.

As soon as you start crafting yourself new gear, you have five or so SETS of gear to choose from. Where you can mix and match pieces. For example I can wear a Drakescale Vest with my Druid's Boots.
Each Job has about 2-4 outfits which all look differitn and can mix and match parts

Quote:
And each piece can be coloured with dye.
And seriouisly.
We've only been playing the beta so far.
It's easily possible that there's more in the full version.
Whens the full version out then?

28th of April.

[quote]If you pre-order, you get a special item when the game starts for real, and also the opportunity to participate in the beta weekends.
There's one weekend a month, and still one left. It starts next weekend.

This is one of Someguy's Screenshots. His processor aint that great and the graphics still rock.

Quote:
Oh, and another reason you probably haven't heard about it: To be frank, Guild Wars usually appeals to an older and more mature crowd, surveys support this. 30-somethings are less likely to be hanging out at DARKSTARR'Z GAMING DUNGEON and telling people how they're f*gs for liking World of Warcraft instead.

Plus, one thing you might want to know...

Did you play and enjoy Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Diablo 1 and/or Starcraft?

Because...

World of Warcraft wasnt made by the people who produced ANY of those games...

A core group of the Arenanet/NCSoft developers who're making Guild Wars are old Blizzard employees who worked on those games AND Battle.Net's amazing structure.

But left before the retardation of Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3.
NC Soft (A korean developer) is also responsible for making the games Linneage, Linneage II, City of Heroes, the upcoming Tabula Rasa, Carmageddon and many other games.

Cleaning up the beaches of Kryta

Among the ruins of Ascalon with Charr on my heels

This is another one of Someguy's Screenshots... "Flame On"

Quote:
And you know those crazy Koreans, they know their MMORPG's.
KEkeke and all that.
another question: is there alot of inventory management? and how about menu navigation?

Here's my answer:

You can TOTALLY customize EVERYTHING on your menu. you can take away the menu entirely if you want.

Quote:
Your GUI is totally customizeable. Location, existence, everything. As for your inventory: Not a lot of management. No maneuvering large items around to make room for stuff. The only "management" that exists is that you can buy more bags to increase your inventory size.
Also if some junk is taking up too much room you can desynth it into crafting materials and add it to the pile of crafting materials.

The thing I love abotu crafting is the NPC does it for you, so you dont have to spend hours crafting junk to gain skill levels in crafting so you can craft better stuff later. All you need is the stuff and the money and you can make anything your job requires.

The WOW player's response:
thats nice, instead of wasting tons of materials to make crappy stuff untill you can make slightly less crappy stuff...

Seeing the changes the Searing has wrought

Sexy Waters

Quote:
Yeah, you automatically find newer and better crafters as you get further into the game.
My response: you can also go for the really cheap route and just make body tatoos LOL.

Quote:
Monks and Necromancers can choose to replace parts of their armor with tattoos. You have five slots. Head/face, chest, hands, legs, feet. So that'd be five tat pieces of "gear." Each class also has unique head/face gear.
Except necromancers... they just get face scars for some reason...

Quote:
Mesmers have masks, Monks have tattoos, necromancers have scars or tattoos, elementalists have some sort of gem things, warriors have helmets and rangers have masks... Well, the scars are unique, no other class has 'em. The rest of the body gear is also unique from class to class, there's no overlap there. The rest of the body gear is also unique from class to class, there's no overlap there.
AH but what about spellcasting?

Old Guild Hall

Surreal City

Quote:
Select a target, choose the spell to cast, your guy casts it at the target, you lose some "Energy" Oh, there's lots of that. Four out of the six classes are spellcasters. And yes, they're all unique anyway, trust me.

let me explain this...

Okay, skills and spells operate in the same way. They cost energy to use or cast, and they each have a "stat" that they're tied to that determines their strength. For example Fireball's strength is determined by your Fire Magic stat. Each time you level up, or complete certain quests, you get a "skill point" which you can buy a skill or spell for at a skill trainer. There are also some quests where a skill or spells is your reward for completing it.
Necros use pets for instance and death magic and drain health whiel mesmers deal status effects and drain health without gaining any. Elementalists use elemental attacks and their skills and Attributes determine what kind of magic they're strongest in. So they can put like 12 points in "Earth magic" and 3 in fire if they want a little fire but more earth and those points effect spell strengthe, longevity, etc...

Quote:
No skills or spells have level requirements. If you can find a trainer that has it and have a free skill point and gold enough to buy it, you can get it. A few have an "X% chance to fail if your stat in Y is below Z" but that's about the only requirement, ever and thats only for certain cases like hammer bashes and such.
Skill piotns are obtained not just by leveling but also by doing and completing missions and I ALWAYS find that I have too many left over

That's ARMOR?

Got a Few Too.

Quote:
Oh, and one thing about skills and spells.

You have a "quick bar" which you have eight of them in. You can change them around, etc. as much as you want while you're in a "safe" zone. But once you're out exploring or on a mission, they're locked. Can't be moved, can't be removed, can't be exchanged. And you can only use those eight skills/spells that're there. So it forces you to strategize and prevents you from having to keep a zillion hot keys memorized.
And thats another fun thing to do is customize your skills out.

WANT TO SEE ALL THE SKILLS WE'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED AND WRITTEN SOME OPINIONS ON?

Click Here. This Is My Own Custom Skill Guide.

Skills are seperated by job of course [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Ever play Magic: The Gathering? See, you know, in theory, with M:tG, no card is stronger than any other, right? A 1/1 creature is weaker than a 5/5, but probably costs less mana to summon.

Guild Wars is like this. No skill is stronger than any other. Meteor might do more damage than Fireball, but maybe it's easy to interrupt you when you cast it, slower to cast or just plain more expensive.

Maybe skill X isn't as useful, generally, as skill Y, but in the situations that it's specialized for it will kick all kinds of ass.

Especially offers a lot of balance to the PvP areas where you might not have found a certain skill or spell that someone else has.

Which reminds me of something really great about PvP.
See, whenever your "normal" character finds a spell or item, that item is considered "unlocked."

At any time you want, you can create a max-level PvP-only character, that can only fight in the arenas. And has a free choice of any skills and items you've unlocked.

So you don't have to spend months building up your character to max level before you can participate in PvP.
Yeap ^_^;

Divinity Coast Shot

Ooh lookie a beach!

Quote:
And if you want to, you can take your normal exploring/mission guy into the arenas, too. Either before or after you've maxed him out.
There are a lot of little arenas here and there for low-level characters only, for example.
Dragon Skeleton

Bring on the awesome

It's like, it's set to only let in players level X-Y, then another may be levels Y-Z and there may be another arena that is an anything goes level wise?

Quote:
Also different kinds of arenas.There are 4v4 arenas with random teams, for example, and 4v4 arenas where you party up with some others before you join the battle. There's also a huge arena called the Hall of Heroes. It's a massive 8v8v8v8 arena. Four huge teams fighting a "king of the hill" battle.
Oh, and once you establish a guild for a modest cost, you can also do some cool things.

#1: You can buy a guild cape. You design it yourself, and all members, present and future, get one for free.

#2: You can buy a guild hall. And you can pick from one of 8 or so styles of guild halls. Every time you play against another guild, you either attack their guild hall or they invade yours.

Oh, hey, link the dude to our guild site.
Blades Of Khorne BoK

Quote:
The background music is actual music from Yak's Bend, a small town in the Shiverpeak mountains.
It is also played in our guild hall because we chose the freezing cold one.

Seriously, Take this game into consideration.

*EDIT: less offensive title.

[ 04-06-2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
/)eathKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

oh we just got another interesting question worthy of answering in its own post because of how awesome this is compared to the PUNNISHMENTS most MMORPGs give for dying:

Q: ooh, big important question just poped in my head. Lets assume your char dies. (heaven forbid) What happens next? do you do what happens in WoW (ethral realm body hunt) or do you spawn at the nearest town with no gear or what?

Quote:
Now. You lose no gear from dying. You lose no XP. You just have a temporary percentlige loss to your maximum Health and Energy until you get to a town again, or cure it by killing lots of things or getting Morale bonuses. if your part of a group and you die, you wait untill you get brought back to the last checkpoint you passed Or until your group goes into a new area, then all dead party members are instantly rezzed and teleported to the group.
Cody added: Or enter a cinema.

All of this is true and absoluttley awesome, because the death penalties are not permanent neither are they something you have to work to get back, so no time is lost, just a temporary % of your stats go down a little each time you die and the cap is at 60% decrease in stats, and once you reach a town the stats shoot back up to their normal ammount.

I SHOULD ALSO POINT OUT:

The Death Penalty can sometimes be reduced and even reversed to be a positive penalty that increases stats.

Killing a Here monster for instance or completing a quest objetive earns the whole party a specific % of their decrease back or their stats are all increased by a % if its low or at 0 and there's an increase.

Q: I'm assuming resurection is a healing spellcaster spell, but can it also be gained by lets say using a scroll or something similar?

Quote:
Any class can pick up a Resurrection Signet, though. I seem to remember that a Rez signet only works once per mission, though.
yea, from what I've surmised, the Monk is the healing class

Quote:
Yes, the opposite of a Death Penalty is a Morale Bonus. You get positive Morale from killing heroes and completing mission objectives.
heroes? is that a term for a special (or just tougher) group/single NPCs

Quote:
Tougher single NPC's.
Named NPC's, specifically.
Or just lead a party.
Like a powerful monk centaur leading a mixed group of centaurs.
so its basically a power bonous for killing tougher monsters. The more you kill the better your bonous?

Quote:
Exactly...

They stack up to a max of +15% to health and energy. Which'll also soften the blow of getting a Death Penalty, which is 15% per death, if I remember right.
Q: Oh and what about the music?

It's just down-right awesome music composed by the guy who made the Never Winter Nights soundtrack. I've noted a few similarities in stanzas and such with the NWN soundtrack but each track is original.

Q: Alright. What about different races?

none but you do get a height adjustment toggle. And in the full version there might be differint races. Who knows... there were Dwarven NPCs though.

Quote:
No, new races in the full version. But. They say that there's a small chance of new races in any expansions they release, though that's far from a promise.
The humans are very diverse though they dont all look the same at all.

You can be a goth-looking Necromancer, or a huge square-shaped warrior or a light on their feet monk or a freaky noble-looking mesmer or a gruff ranger or a young elementalist.

Q: Can i name my character Joe?

A: No the game requires at least 2 seperate characters in order to be a Name. So a name like J O E would work, but its probably taken. We suggest things like "Lady Deathstrike the Magnificent" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

My guild runs like:

Ian The Deathkiller
Hegazi The Violet
Cody The Whats-his-face (forgot his name)
Andy The Jolly

etc.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I don't get it, WOW and guild wars can exist in the same world. You don't have to quit one to play the other. WOW is awesome, addicting, and beautiful and so much fun to play. And monthly fees are a non issue..

So, I won't be quitting WoW, and don't need to. [img]smile.gif[/img] That doesn't mean I won't check GW out too [img]smile.gif[/img] . It's like the fanboys an each side think it has to be one or the other, and thats just not the case. Enjoy BOTH!

Thats what is great. Choice.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I don't get it, WOW and guild wars can exist in the same world. You don't have to quit one to play the other. WOW is awesome, addicting, and beautiful and so much fun to play. And monthly fees are a non issue..

So, I won't be quitting WoW, and don't need to. [img]smile.gif[/img] That doesn't mean I won't check GW out too [img]smile.gif[/img] . It's like the fanboys an each side think it has to be one or the other, and thats just not the case. Enjoy BOTH!

Exactly what I was thinking

I think they both look awesome, and if I ever get a decent internet connectio I will probably get both, the only thing about GW's that I dont like the sound of is the dying part, I think the way they do it in WOW is well more realistic (Even though it isn't [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) respawning instantly doesnt really make much sense... Though if it works in NWN's then its good enough for me
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:

I totally agree also. I don't get this VS. thing either. Right now I am having a blast in WoW but don't view GW as competition but rather, alternative. If and when I need a change I may try GW by all means but for now I'm good. We all like games, so why bother taking sides and going all fanboi on a particular game.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:

I didn't mean to spark so much anger, I wasn't saying that guild wars couldn't exist in someone's gaming lineup alongside World of Warcraft or any other MMORPG, but my title does apply to a lot of the people who don't like paying a monthly fee for an MMORPG and as a beta tester of the game I am totally hopped up on it so I've been playing WOW and FFXI for so long and lost so much money on the two, myself, that I consider Guild wars the holy grail of MMORPGs in my own opinion and that's why I love it so much, hehe. Also I have a veyr busy schedule and not enough time for two games myself, so when i wrote the title I really meant it as being the reason why I quit Wow not the reason why I think people should all just stop playing their Pay-to-Play MMO, just that this is a really great MMO worthy of some serious consideration from the gamers out there willing to give it a try. It's sort of like when Tribes came out people called it "The reason to stop playing Halo" and frankly it didnt mean people couldn't enjoy playing both FPS games, they werent even on the same console, for cryin' out loud [img]tongue.gif[/img] It's just a figure of speech which applies to my own personal regard and love for the game. I've played and been heavily addicted to MMORPGs for too long now and I've nearly come close to losing my job, family, life etc... to them. So Guild wars is an MMORPG which I can play with my friends without having to worry about it + I didn't see a thread on it here so I figured i'd spread the word about it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by HiveTyrant:
the only thing about GW's that I dont like the sound of is the dying part, I think the way they do it in WOW is well more realistic (Even though it isn't [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) respawning instantly doesnt really make much sense... Though if it works in NWN's then its good enough for me [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
Well the penalty isn't permanent and reaching a town can sometimes be quite the hassle if your'e trying to get through a tough mission and your'e not strong enough its not like you can just die, respawn, die respawn, die, etc... and fight your way through the enemies while weakened, it doesn't work like that. The weaknening stands out, trust me, and if it ever gets to 60% you may as well be 10+ levels below your current level. The reason the respawn points work isn't just because theyr'e respawn points, its because they're shrines which are protected by a sculpture of some random in-game god.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
I don't get this VS. thing either. Right now I am having a blast in WoW but don't view GW as competition but rather, alternative. If and when I need a change I may try GW by all means but for now I'm good. We all like games, so why bother taking sides and going all fanboi on a particular game.
I know, like I said above, I think that I was a little bit liberal with the title. Witih all the World of Warcraft threads I figured i'd make a thread title which would attract attention. I'd like to appologize if anyone thought this thread was like fan-boyage. How can I be a fan boy of a game that hasn't even launched yet and that i've only played for a total of 6 days (best 6 gaming days i've ever experienced in my life with an MMORPG though).

[ 04-06-2005, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: /)eathKiller ]
Old 04-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

This is a quote from Neb:

Quote:
Originally Stated by Neb:

This is Neb speaking, since a lot of what Ian posted is my ranting about Guild Wars, I thought that I'd reply to some of the criticism.

First: I never attacked World of Warcraft, it's fanboys are far too sensitive if they thought that. I merely used it as an example because it adheres to the standard MMORPG format that almost every single commercial MMORPG uses. Secondly: Monthly fees cannot be called a "non-issue." Not everyone, consider for example a student, has a lot of disposeable income, and play WoW for a year, then you'll have paid more than four times as much as it would cost you to play Guild Wars for a year, I'll bet.

Thirdly: Neither Ian or I said that anyone SHOULD quit World of Warcraft, or whatever their current MMORPG of choice is. The main reason that we highlighted the differences is because Guild Wars is very far from the standard commercial MMORPG and might therefore appeal to people who would not be interested in, say, Everquest. We were mostly trying to convince people not to dismiss the game as "another game where you just camp and wait for monsters to spawn" because it gets classed as an MMORPG.

HiveTyrant: Another bonus of Guild Wars is that you don't even NEED a decent connection to play it. Ask Ian, he managed to play it for a good long while on just a 56k connection. Of course load times are tougher, but the actual gameplay would suffer so little from lag that I doubt you'd really notice it very much.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, thank you for the clarification. I do understand your enthusiasm, trust me. When I came to WoW I was contantly thinking "My god, this is so much better than the 'XY' game I've been playing" and sometimes felt the need to let other people know what (in my opinion) they were missing.

As many here know I am now a big fan of pay to play games mainly for the security and law they offer online which serves to help with griefers and bad experiences etc (new content and stuff comes next but this is my main reason).

I think the problem was that there have been a few attacks on this board upon WoW and unjustly so IMHO. Your post I think just hit a nerve with the original title and was taken as another one of these posts is all [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Neb on Guild Wars Security:

Quote:
Neb Sez:
Guild Wars, though not pay-to-play, is still policed. And the basic structure of the game itself prevents almost every single popular method of "griefing." In fact, it's not even possible to grief in Guild Wars unless someone actually LETS themselves be "griefed."

And personally I don't consider my enthusiasm for GW to just be part of the first good days until I get tired of it, I've been fascinated with this game for, hmmmm, I'd guess the time is up to over six months now.

Besides, even if I get tired of it, I can just take a break till the next expansion or big update comes out, after all, I'm not paying every month to keep my account in existence, so it's not like I'll be paying for the time where I'm not playing.
This is very true.

Guild wars is very secure, just because it isnt P2P doesnt mean its going to end up like Neverwinter Nights or something. Phantasy Star online got policed too and it didnt have a monthly fee, the PC version remained scratch-free. the Dreamcast version was another story but that was just a bad example [img]tongue.gif[/img]

cheating in guild wars is quite impossible, I assure you.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Yeah well, my two comrades didn't say quit WoW or whatever MMORPG you're playing. But *I* do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

But honestly, Ian man you did a great job with the post, you and Pat both. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of the community. I don't have a lot of like, "OMFG CHECK THIS OUT AND THIS AND YOU CAN DO THIS" to add, but I'm just here to say thanks to Ian for making the post. And thanks for mentioning me, I feel so loved. (Mine's the best character anyway, he's the sexiest and makes things go BOOOOM.)
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote