Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-04-2002, 01:05 PM   #1
Lord Delarue
The Magister

ok read the title, for all of the trouble you have to do to get this item, i think blackrazor is much better, the equalizer is only +3 when determined what it can hit, so that sucks in TOB and you can not even hit kangaxx with it, so basically it would have been a good sword if you could aquire it in a much earlier stage of the game, but that's just my opinion
Old 04-04-2002, 01:11 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Since I never played Evil, I've never taken Blackrazor, but I agree fully with for what you went through to get it, the Equalizer should have been comparable to Carsomyr...or at least upgradable in ToB as some of the other items from SoA were.

I eventually gave Equalizer to Nalia to let her wield it after she got longsword prof. She rarely used it; instead, she was using the Gesen bow at a distance with far better effectiveness.

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:35 PM   #3
Lord Delarue
The Magister

Now that's an opinion to my liking, i mean, you can get the equaliser only for chapter 6 and 7 and those chapters are(in my opinion) not the most hard, because you have done the mindflayer and beholder dungeon(which are the hardest, especially mindflayer, the first time i played it, i died all the time, i never heard of skeleton warriors or mordenkainen's sword) so maybe the sword would have been good for that part of the game, but it's just to late, and if you sazerac would upgrade it, what would you upgrade?
Old 04-05-2002, 04:18 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I dont like the Equalizer either [img]smile.gif[/img] It is not that great IMO
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:35 AM   #5
Lord Delarue
The Magister

Ok, i'm finally going to ask, but what stands IMO for?
Old 04-05-2002, 05:40 AM   #6
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

In My Opinion... and some ppl say IMHO which is In My Honest (some use it as Humble) opinion

and btw(By the Way) ppl stands for people [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:43 AM   #7
Lord Delarue
The Magister

THe last 2 i knew, but IMO and IMHO were so hard to find, thanx for the help
Old 04-05-2002, 10:05 AM   #8
kanri
Dungeon Master

I think that the equalizer was to much trouble to get and it was so weak. I like using magic better any way.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
Lord Delarue
The Magister

I can't play without magic no more, when i played BG2 for the first time, i had this really crappy walkthrough, from a magazine, it was good to get through the game, but it didn't say what tactics you should use, so i got killed time in time out, so i used cheats to get myself to the top exp you can get in Soa with exp cap removed, and i did this when i still was in Irenicus dungeon, so that was kinda fun, but i was still getting killed time after time when doing hard monster, like when battling the shade lich(for kangaxx), i had to reload the game 20 times or so, and that was on lvl 40 or whatever it was, and also the first time i met vampires, in firkraag quest, i was getting killed over and over, but when you get to know how to play this game, it's so much fun, ok but i'm getting of of my thing i had to say, so the first time i played it was like all melee, a cloudkill or a fireball from time to time, but nothing advanced like lower MR or breach, just meleeing with all i had, even with my mages(big mistake of me), but now i just have to play te game with magic, so much more fun. I know this post doesn't have to do much with the original one but it's fun to talk about
Old 04-05-2002, 04:38 PM   #10
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Delarue:
ok read the title, for all of the trouble you have to do to get this item, i think blackrazor is much better, the equalizer is only +3 when determined what it can hit, so that sucks in TOB and you can not even hit kangaxx with it, so basically it would have been a good sword if you could aquire it in a much earlier stage of the game, but that's just my opinion
That's partially true.

The Equalizer is only +3 against anyone of True Neutral Alignment.

Here's the exact stats of the Equalizer:

THACO & Damage:
vs True Neutral +0 to hit, +0 to damage
vs Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Neutral +1 to hit, +2 damage
vs Neutral Good, Neutral Evil +2 to hit, +4 damage
vs other alignments +3 to hit, +6 damage

I've used this sword, it does a lot of damage when in the proper hand, it depends on the Alignment of the character you're killing. Granted, it especially comes in handy at the beggining. (I got bored of waiting for it one day) However, it's still a useful sword.

Basically when fighting someone of Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral alignment, the sword acts like a +4 longsword

For Neutral Good or Neutral Evil alignments, it's a +5 sword.

For Chaotic Good, Lawful Good, Chaotic Evil, and Lawful Evil, it's a +6 longsword.

This is where the Sword of Neutrality's power comes in handy. If you did have this sword at the begginning of the came, you'd barely lose.

However, I really can't understand why it doesn't work against Kangaxx...(Maybe Kangaxx's alignment is True Neutral, and only +4 weapons or better can kill a Demi-Lich)

So for pure power in a weapon, The Equalizer is pretty decent, especially with Immunity to Charm and Confusion. At one point in the game, I did 45 damage with this Longsword. (Edit, I can't remember what damage I did do with the sword when I had the Girdle of Fire Giant Strength)

[ 04-05-2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Jerr Conner ]
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote