Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Ok, I recently made a solo paladin for the purpose of having more or less a fighter/cleric DC without having to dual on solo in the middle of dragons eye, and it is surprisingly effective (even on insane!). However, I have some questions regarding it:

1. I am currently wielding the defender axe +2, and am in DE lvl 4. This is probably the best item for me currently, but when should I get a better one? I don't think a +3 weapon would be better, due to loss of AC, but would +4 be worth the switch? (obviously I will switch when I get to a certain item).

2. How much priestly power do paladins get in the long run? I am around lvl 10 and only have 1 lvl 1 and lvl 2 spell slot. At higher levels, do they eventually get on par with clerics, or do they max out at low level spells like in the BG series?

3. I know that The Glory of Suffering was taken out of the game, but since I'm trying to solo a paladin I think I'll import it when I should have recieved it. When in the game is this?

TIA

[ 04-11-2005, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

1: just look through the weapons you get, you should know when the time is right (I held onto that axe for my dwarf fighter for a very long time)

2: Paladin's max out at lvl 4 for cleric spells, just like in BG
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

2: Paladins can cast up till level 6 spells, if you have HoW installed.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

The weapons are random so it's dificult to say... but if and when you fine that shield of red knight something I think the ac will be high enough to justify switching weapons... (and btw axes are dwarfish, sword are paladinish ).
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Swords are generally viewed as being more cultured and civilised than axes, but there's nothing wrong with a paladin battling evil with an axe, it's just not the archetype.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Midget Gems

As you would expect my small adventurers feel right at home with a nice Axe - it doesn't trail on the floor like a big sword. My little Gnomes had to make a really big effort to get the nice +2 Defender. Also I love the +2 Throwing Axe - nice weapon and no ammo to carry.
As for Paladins, I somehow see them using a Mace or Flail as well as Swords, but always with an impressive shield.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Krowlars
Dungeon Master

I think that the most appropriate weapon to be used by a paladin would be the one favored by the god he worships... It makes sense that a paladin of Thempus (a "barbarian" god of war), uses an axe as his "holy avenger".
Krowlars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The Glory of Suffering is a reward item you receive from Sister Calliana back in Kuldahar, but you have to bring her a particular item first. That item may only be found in Lower Dorn's Deep, so it would be fairly late in the game when you would have been able to acquire it. Great armor, though. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 AM   #9
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for all answers regarding spells and weapons! My paladin is actually not even touching swords at the moment (I'm in Severed Hand), his main weapon is his axe, folowed by a cold morningstar of phasing and a sling +1. If paladins get lvl 6 priest spells, they get Heal, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
The Glory of Suffering is a reward item you receive from Sister Calliana back in Kuldahar, but you have to bring her a particular item first. That item may only be found in Lower Dorn's Deep, so it would be fairly late in the game when you would have been able to acquire it. Great armor, though. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I thought that the creators took the item out. Is this added in by HoW? Thanks.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm 95% sure that you cannot get the Glory of Suffering, even by fiddling around with Dalekeeper. iirc, it was supposed to be the reward for a quest, which was left unfinished. afaik, you can find the stats for it in the game data, but never the item itself.

It is NOT added by HoW. Give up your pipedream, and get one of the many good, attainable, suits of armor.