Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Default Re: D&D Legends of the Sword Coast! (Video link)

Btw...does anyone have any experience with installing the older games such as ToB and Icewind Dale on a OS like Win8? I'm clueless on how to even get started, it won't even let me install the game when i insert the disc in the drive. Kinda bummed out about this, i would love to play some of the older games again.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
Shadow Stranger

You could try double-clicking the Setup.exe program on the relevant CD. I can play BG1 on Windows 10.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Falling on Floor Laughing Re: D&D Legends of the Sword Coast! (Video link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Btw...does anyone have any experience with installing the older games such as ToB and Icewind Dale on a OS like Win8? I'm clueless on how to even get started, it won't even let me install the game when i insert the disc in the drive. Kinda bummed out about this, i would love to play some of the older games again.
Here's what I have to do, but it will require access to an older machine(I keep 3 old WinXP machines serviceable to run legacy games).

1. Install the game on the XP machine, AND install all mods you will be running.

2. Once the game is set up they way you want to play it, copy the game folder to a flash drive. You'll need a sufficiently large enough FD to do this, of course. A 4GB drive should do, but an 8GB drive will work for certain.

3. Now copy the game folder to the new rig. I put it on my Data drive/partition, but the game should work just fine on the C: drive. Be aware that the PC will not "see" that the game is installed because there will be no Registry entries.

4. Put a shortcut for the games EXE. file on the desktop, d-click it, and the game should run. Be aware that you will have to tweak the game resolution almost certainly. AAMOF, you may have to run the Widescreen mod again to make it look acceptable.

The above is what worked for me, YMMV however. I had to do this for IWD1, IWD2, and Neverwinter Nights 1. For some reason BG1 and BG2 would load fine on my Win7 machine without the above procedure.

Hope this helps.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Windows 10 Won’t Run older Games Using SafeDisc Or Securom DRM--their DRM looks much like a rootkit-- (copy protection crap). You can get a crack for the EXE like I do--I did BUY it, so I don't need the hassle.

Just gotta be careful of where you get the nocd crack...
Here is some news on Windows 10 and DRM: (I won't be upgrading to v10 for a long time) No need to. I paid almost $300 for Windows 7 Professional, and plan to use it as long as I can Like I did with XP!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/...sk-securom-drm

Some people in the comments section are saying Diablo 1 and 2 work, and another does too--they use that DRM.. so it may be hit or miss. but 98% games that worked on Windows 7 should work on Windows 10.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: D&D Legends of the Sword Coast! (Video link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post

Johnny, go download Dosbox.
http://www.dosbox.com/

once loaded, you can install it to the drive you want. or hover over the windows logo bottom left, right click and click Open Windows Explorer, and click to your CD drive, then click on the install file. should work. If not, go into dosbox (windows one) and try that. once installed, run the Program wrapper DOSBox, it handles DOS games really well, and especially ones that use that EMM386 crap. )

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/...e-Install.html

Old 09-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #16
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i'll give it a try. I already had Dosbox, since i desperately wanted to play Settlers 2 once more, it may be useful for other stuff as well. btw i never thought of this before, but i still have one or two older PC's stored in a room where i keep all sorts of crap i don't really wanna get rid of. They may actually still work, or worst case scenario need one or two components replaced. That may actually be a better bet then trying to install it on my new rig. Even the games that aren't even that old won't run on this OS, like LotR the battle for Middle Earth, which is quite an entertaining RTS. It does allow me to install the game, but when i try to run it, i get some sort of error message, that according to my research on the internet only occurs when you have Win 7 or 8.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #17
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
Johnny, go download Dosbox.
http://www.dosbox.com/

once loaded, you can install it to the drive you want. or hover over the windows logo bottom left, right click and click Open Windows Explorer, and click to your CD drive, then click on the install file. should work. If not, go into dosbox (windows one) and try that. once installed, run the Program wrapper DOSBox, it handles DOS games really well, and especially ones that use that EMM386 crap. )

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/...e-Install.html
Dosbox is great, but it'll only work on the 8-bit DOS games. It won't help with Icewind Dale or ToB.

johnny, you could also try using a virtual Windows XP machine.

Or for an easy solution, if you don't mind spending the few bucks, buy them digitally from gog.com or steam. They come pre-packaged for newer OSs. And you can get them really cheap off sales sometimes.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: D&D Legends of the Sword Coast! (Video link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
Dosbox is great, but it'll only work on the 8-bit DOS games. It won't help with Icewind Dale or ToB.

johnny, you could also try using a virtual Windows XP machine.

Or for an easy solution, if you don't mind spending the few bucks, buy them digitally from gog.com or steam. They come pre-packaged for newer OSs. And you can get them really cheap off sales sometimes.
Yeah, Forgot to add that. only really old games use dosbox. GOG.com is AWESOME! and they remove the DRM from the games too! We're talking like $5.99 for a random old game.. sometimes cheaper! love them!! Good idea ZFR!!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Hi thought to let you guys know google store have app games for baldurs gate 1 & 2 and Icewind dale.

In case you want to play on a tablet. Touch screen feature needs to get used to but I'm playing baldurs gate 1 in my tablet and its not bad experience.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I was thinking of getting that version, but I have an 8 inch tablet, and it'd be hard to see , would be cool on a larger one! (I got all the remastered BG's and IWD) so cool.. brings back so many good memories!

I'm almost done with Grimrock 2.. (Engine is exactly like Eye of the Beholder), just better--graphics.. even some of the treasure chests when you go to open them, there's a 10% chance the second you click to open it, it comes alive (a mimic), the first time that happened, I jumped like hell! heheheh.... underwater levels.. really cool stuff! You play Grimrock 1 or 2? Its on GOG if you hate steam btw.

Dishonored II and Legends of the Sword Coast are the two I'm REALLY waiting for. Then, early next year, the next Deus Ex: Mankind Divided looks epic! (soundtrack is even amazing).