Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #41
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
7 years is nothing in terms of medical side-effects. It is hardly "long term". A lifetime is adequate IMHO. But no company wants to wait that long on their cash so they push stuff out faster and we hear it on the news a year or two later about how bad X drug is because of Y.

[/QUOTE]Well articulated but no [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Your point being..?
And BTW, for those of you so stuck with the number 7, modafinil is the result of medical research that started in 1970, running tests on humans since the seventies.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #42
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
quote:
quote:
quote:
7 years is nothing in terms of medical side-effects. It is hardly "long term". A lifetime is adequate IMHO. But no company wants to wait that long on their cash so they push stuff out faster and we hear it on the news a year or two later about how bad X drug is because of Y.

[/QUOTE]Well articulated but no [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Your point being..?
And BTW, for those of you so stuck with the number 7, modafinil is the result of medical research that started in 1970, running tests on humans since the seventies.
[/QUOTE]Whose point being? The rolloing eyes threw me off.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #43
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Light Bulb

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]Whose point being? The rolloing eyes threw me off.
[/QUOTE]Hear hear... the completely compelling argument of rolling eyes was lost on me as I re-read the "no company wants to wait that long on their cash so they push stuff out faster and we hear it on the news a year or two later about how bad X drug is because of Y." Read : YEAR LATER AFTER THE DRUG WAS PUSHED TOO EARLY. Geeze louise, how long were cigarettes out before mainstream downsides were published? Get a grip, people. I'm sure the drug "Ice" had no ill side affects for the first couple (and yes, you may take that to mean the first 7 if you wish) years before the massive reports of mainstream addiction, anorexia and downright abhorrent affects were published to the public. If not the few years that the drug Ice then perhaps the MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF YEARS THAT CIGARETTES TOOK TO BECOME LOCALLY CONSIDERED AS UNHEALTHY. FFS. Cigarettes give some a buzz. This drug gets rid of other 'side effects' of UNHEALTHY BEHAVIOUR. Are the two not similar?

For Gods sake, something that can replace the need for something as necessary as sleep NEEDS more than 7 years of testing, regardless of whatever un-educated person on this forum says. I ask you this, oh-optimistic ones, would you let your 17 year old daughter take this drug? Yes? How about if this 17 year old daughter was taking this drug in an attempt at trying to support a substantial higher education as well as a needy 3 month year old baby? Is this reasonable?

If the answer is yes I think a different question entirely needs to be addressed.

Sleep is arguably the most natural thing in ALL living mammals (I'd say all living things but I'm not up to debating symantecs right now). How could we try to replace that with a drug as well as give the pretense that there is no side affect after only 7 years of testing? I'm sure some MAKE UPS have the same amount of testing.

I'm shocked, disturbed and downright outraged that some would defend this as being 'not-unhealthy'.
Dave_the_quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #44
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

I'll just stick to meth if i don't wanna sleep.....
Old 11-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #45
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:

I'm shocked, disturbed and downright outraged that some would defend this as being 'not-unhealthy'.
Why, do you have any reasonable reasons to suggest there are side effects? It sounds to me that you really are just outraged at the idea of getting rid of sleep.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #46
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well it is pretty messed up.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #47
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Look, guys, our sleep schedule is evolution's way of tying us to the sun.

I saw a study 10 years ago where a group of people lived underground for 6 mos. with ZERO reference to time. No clocks, no dialy news show to tell them the time -- nothing. The mjority of them developed a cycle of sleeping 2 in every 24 hours.

The amount of time your brain needs to rest is not the same as the amount of time you feel tired, because the timing of your sleepiness is so very tied to the sun and whether it's light or dark outside.

I sleep 4 or 5 hours a night -- I'd definately take this pill, just to supplement a lifestyle I already live.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #48
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

My views entirely Timber - summed up nicely there.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #49
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Look, guys, our sleep schedule is evolution's way of tying us to the sun.

I saw a study 10 years ago where a group of people lived underground for 6 mos. with ZERO reference to time. No clocks, no dialy news show to tell them the time -- nothing. The mjority of them developed a cycle of sleeping 2 in every 24 hours.

The amount of time your brain needs to rest is not the same as the amount of time you feel tired, because the timing of your sleepiness is so very tied to the sun and whether it's light or dark outside.

I sleep 4 or 5 hours a night -- I'd definately take this pill, just to supplement a lifestyle I already live.
Are you sure about this study? Here in Finland the lenght of day shifts between 6 and 24 hours, but I still sleep about 8 hours a day. There are people in Antarctica, and I don't think I've ever heard of them sleeping just 2 hours.