Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 07-25-2002, 10:12 AM   #21
morningstar
The Magister

Good advice everyone, my sons suggested the GForce instead of Voodoo. Thanks for the tips on the drivers too, I will remember that when I get my new card.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:34 AM   #22
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Bungleau, I dont think that my pc is capable of accepting any sort of video card. I've read the manual & it says the Intel 810 chipset offsets the need for any video card. I think the chipset is part of the motherboard. For all I know it may have a 3d capability that I just haven't used yet. I have posted on the Wizardry 8 forum to see if anyone there knows.
Radek, I haven't been back to Collasium yet but I will try what you said.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:18 PM   #23
WillowIX
Apophis

Of course you can plug in cards into your computer kev. There must at least be PCI slots (the same you plug in a modem, ethernet card, sound card). Just buy a pci card and youīll be fine. As bungleau sais itīs not as good as an AGP accelerated card. Intelīs chipset usually has good support. And since your able to access the internet you must have pci slots. Most motherboards have internal graphics support. And in a way that "offsets the need for any video card". It does not mean that putting in a graphic card wouldnīt be better. It just says that you donīt need to buy one to get the computer to work lol. Not quite a lie but almost. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] And I seriously doubt that the internal chipset has the 3D acceleration that wiz8 needs! Just my opinion though, but then I canīt live without a nice video card in my dear little comp lol.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 03:07 PM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ditto what WillowIX said. "Offsets the need" means "you can use what I have". It will not be as effective as a nice vid card that you pick up at a local store, unless you're picking the card up from the discount bin where they're getting rid of old equipment at flea market prices [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

My own personal rule, BTW, is that I will not have a video card with more memory than my PC [img]smile.gif[/img] When I installed W&W (or shortly before then), I upgraded to a lot more memory. Don't know how much it's help ('cause I didn't measure before and after), but I truly enjoy it.

At today's prices, assuming your machine will handle it you should be able to get to 256MB easily.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #25
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

When I install the new ram (256) I'll look for a PCI slot but my pc has the audio & video on the intel 810 chipset onboard, an ethernet 10/100 base-t adapter chipset onboard & a 56k (v90) fax/modem chipset onboard. I think all of these items are built into the motherboard.
I used dxdiag to discover that I only have 4.5MB of memory on my intel 810 but I need a minimum of 8MB to play Wizardry8. Interestingly it is capable of 3d & I am now playing W&W on d3d. It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.
Radek, re the teleporting, it works without the mermaid.

[ 07-26-2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: kev ]
Old 07-26-2002, 09:57 AM   #26
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

As much as I do tech stuff, I have a hard time remembering chipsets and the differences between them.

What I can tell you is that I haven't seen a motherboard in the last five years that did not have a PCI slot. Fewer have ISA slots, but every one has had a PCI slot or four.

And most ATX form factor motherboards come with a bunch of stuff on-board -- audio, video, game port, USB... the list goes on. I have yet to see a machine where you couldn't disable what was on-board and use a card for the same purpose. Given the nature of on-board stuff, though, it's probably fairly generic. You can probably get a video card for US$50-60 that will perform better than what's on-board, and if you want a real vid card, you can be lots better than the on-board stuff.

It's not that I'm against on-board components; it's that by their nature, they're a standard part of every board. Therefore, by their nature, they will not be the best possible components. They'll be the best priced components from a good supplier.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #27
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm glad to hear that Bungleau, I'm sure that I can find a second hand videocard somewhere but if I had needed to replace a motherboard, fax/modem etc It would have cost too much.
You told Morningstar to stay away from Voodoo, is there anything else I should look out for?
Old 07-28-2002, 03:46 AM   #28
morningstar
The Magister

Wow, I didn't know my question would generate such good info. Thanks everyone. I have worked out the Teleporting problem, I have a Portal on the Valeia side of Ishad N'ha, one near the gates of Brimloch Roon on the Ishad N'ha side and one on the port side of Brimloch Roon. I tried putting one in Cet's Pyramid but it cancelled out the portal at the Port gate. Also I found MORE LILIES! Good HP's gained though. By putting up the game level really helped, and I found some monsters with great points such as the two headed giants! ON TO MORE PLAYING!
Old 07-28-2002, 07:41 AM   #29
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Morningstar...
If you have (or learn) ' Call of Home ', you don't need a portal at the Port gate of Brimloch....

Kev....
Quote:
originally posted by; Kev

I have only recently bought an ibm compatable pc after years of playing rpg's on my Amiga & various consoles. Wizards & warriors rocks.
If you bought your machine 'New', It will probably accept an AGP card.
The best way to find out ....is to open the case and look. (seeing is beleiving) If it has 3 or 4 slots/connectors (in line with covered openings in the case) and the 1 on top is different from the others ( a different color and set off to the side)....It will take an AGP graphics card. If they're all the same...it takes a PCI card.

As far as 'What you should look out for' or 'look for', that depends alot on,... How Old/New your system is, What you can use, What you want it to do, How much you can spend, What you can find...etc.
Let us know what CPU you have ( ie..PentiumIII, Celeron, ???)and whether you can use an AGP or PCI card. Then we can figure out your options from there.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:31 AM   #30
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I opened my pc this morning & no pci slots. The only free slot on the board was the 168 pin sdram slot. There are no blanked covers in the back of the case. The case is very small not your standard ATX tower. It is fairly modern I bought it in 2001 but I think it was manufactured on 05/11/2000, thats the date on the BIOS screen.
Pc model BKi810
Motherboard; 6A69M (This is an intel i810(E) chipset with Award BIOS v6.00, a knockoff of a pcchips board by Hsing-tech in China)
processor;socket 370 celeron 566MHz
memory;64MB sdram
os;Windows ME.
Have you guys heard of any video card that can external?