Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, gang... time for a little opinionating. What do you think is the most useful and least useful trait in W&W?

Note that I'm talking about traits, not characteristics (as labelled in the user manual).

For me, Iron Lung is the most useful. Breathing underwater is just so difficult... and important [img]smile.gif[/img]

The most useless... it's a tossup, but guardian angel wins out over deadfall. Why? Well, guardian angel saves you from a hit that would drive you below one HP... but not if you're at one HP! So you get hit, get saved, and get killed by the rebound. Nice...

What do you think???

*edit* only one trait per side, please. No "I like 'em all"... pick a choice and defend it [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-31-2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hmm..
(And much contemplating follows)

Regeneration and Heroic Legacy, respectively. Note: I've never had either [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:13 AM   #3
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Snakeskin as the fave - really helps against the salads and protects (most of the time) against annoying continual poison damage.

Gravebind is pretty useless... by the time you're a powerful Valkyrie you're pretty much untouchable from anything anyway, let alone undead.

Just my opinion...

Moiraine Sedai
Old 06-01-2004, 04:12 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

It's hard to tell. Most of traits in W&W are really useful. Most of them bring some essential advantage. I even cannot select the most useful trait at all

Some candidates for the best trait: Crusade. Bags of XP's and a high level. Arcane Void. Do you know how many magical attacks it deflects? Trickery. It allows every role to open all chests in the game. Getting this trait is only a matter of ordering events. Iron Lung. No more problems with swimming underwater. Stunning Blow. All your weapons will act as if they had a "sleep" bonus attack. Naturally, all attack boosting traits. I am sure it's not all.

Some candidates for rather unuseful traits: Gold Digger. Brings nothing or rather, I haven't seen any difference between having and not having this trait. Gravebind. I agree with Moraine Sedai. Night Vision. It is active only if a whiskah is the leader. It equals the Torchlight spell. You will use Illuminate instead Torchlight soon in the game. Deadfall. Unless you are trying to jump down from a top of a hill, the falling damage is usually 2 - 4 HP. Well, with this trait, it is lower. Cloak of Night. Well, I would like to cry: Monsters! I am here! Come to me! instead of trying to sneak around somewhere [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 05:08 AM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I am sorry, but I have to pick two - especially since they are so well associated with one another. I have to pick occultist and cabalist as the most important spells - especially for parties that go through more than one game - for those traits are the prerequisites of all good armour and weapons.

As for the most useless trait - except for the missing ones - I believe that would be blood to gold - at least with the way I play the game.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Now, bsftcs.... I'm talking about traits, not spells. I'll give you cabalist and occultist, but the Fiend spell Blood to Gold is definitely over the line [img]smile.gif[/img]

Of your two traits, however, I would pick occultist over cabalist.

Why? Because occultist gives enchanting, which gives protection spells. Which gives the ability to cast firestorm on the opponent right in front of your nose, and not have to worry about whether you'll live or die.

Cabalist gets you useful blessings (armor, attack, damage, regeneration), but I believe that I can do without those. Combat may take a little longer, and I may consume a few more healing potions, but I don't *need* them.
-+-+-+
Old 06-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Blood to Gold... what was I thinking?

All right - boogreism then - now there is a worthless trait for you. But luckily the only trait that will go away once acquired.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #8
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Now bsftcs...I wouldn't say that Boogreism is a worthless trait...it makes the game so much more interesting if you're a mage...

Now most useful...I'd say Giant Strike and Fletchery...Giant Strike because it has helped me kill a ton of monsters before anything can think about touching me and I love the double damage....and Fletchery because of the money generating capablities of it... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Boogreism worthless? Why, Willow will have your head for making fun of her precious pets

Actually, the 100HP bonus more than offsets the little bit of spellcasting inconsistency... but not the loss of horseriding ability [img]smile.gif[/img] At least in my book...

Remember, guys... please try to decide on one trait that you consider the most useful. I know it's hard to get down to one, but see if you can do it.

*edit* I realized I was arguing with everyone who posted, which was not my intent in starting this thread. So at this point, I take it all back and I'll shut up for now

[ 06-01-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Old 06-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

The most important trait is SAVE SAVE SAVE! lol!!

I never found Iron Lung all that useful. I recall trying it in my first game a few times and gave it up and I do love Collasium - my favorite of the dungeons because of the swimming but that is probably more just me and the way I play than any real comment on that trait. I can't say I really noted any particular trait (other than SAVE SAVE SAVE) as being especially useful. My memory is too rusty for a real contribution to this discussion.

Wyv
Wyvern is online now   Reply With Quote