Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-21-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
Raphael Argus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all, this will be my first post.

I finally found some time to play W&W, and I'm extremely excited. I sat down today to prepare my party and I can't seem to change screen resolution. I see the options for D3D support in 640x480/800x600/1024x768, and when I select one it notifies me that the setting will take place when I log in again. So I quit to desktop, log back, and no change. I'm running Windows XP and a Geforce Nvidia chipset with the latest drivers. Honestly, if I can't play with better resolution I'll be fine. Afterall, I just finished playing Ultima 6 so this should look pretty uber compared to that =P Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have tried all three of the D3D settings without any change.
Raphael Argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Raphael Argus! May your skill inspire legends throughout the Gael Serran...

Now, as for your question... hmmm... I don't have a good answer. What's your resolution currently set to (outside the game, that is)? Perhaps it's currently too low, or too high.

*edit* what exactly are you trying to change it to or from?

[ 05-21-2004, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:13 AM   #3
Raphael Argus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello [img]smile.gif[/img] And thank you for your quick response. My current screen resolution in Windows is set to 1280x1024 with a color depth of 32-bit. I have actually tried to lower the windows screen res to all three of the available settings for W&W and set my color depth to 16-bit. Still, sigh, no luck. I'm currently running W&W in software mode. Looks to be about 300x200. Seems odd that it offers the D3D settings but will not use them. If you need any more information, just ask =)
Old 05-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Raphael Argus, it is the best around, and we are happy to have you with us. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Hmm I'm dang sure I replied to this thread! Weird to say the least.

Anyway, welcome to the board Raphael.

I would like to get a little more information. When you say Geforce Nvidia chipset you mean exactly what? An FX card? Nforce board?
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #6
Raphael Argus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks all, tis great to be here. In response to my Video Card, I am using a 64MB Geforce 3 card with the latest drivers. I've been playing W&W and enjoying it, but the D3D support would be great. I just started another thread in General Gaming that I am having the same problem with Might & Magic VII. The game runs well unless I try to use D3D and then crashes to desktop.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Raphael Argus:
Thanks all, tis great to be here. In response to my Video Card, I am using a 64MB Geforce 3 card with the latest drivers. I've been playing W&W and enjoying it, but the D3D support would be great. I just started another thread in General Gaming that I am having the same problem with Might & Magic VII. The game runs well unless I try to use D3D and then crashes to desktop.
Well I'm fairly sure the only way to play M&M 7 in windows 2000 is to do so in softare mode. A shame really.

What driver version are you using? 53.xx something I guess? I don't know which version the latest is. Also are you using Directx 9?

You could try to bust back to Directx 8.1 using dx-buster and then install driver version 41.09 (which was a very stable dx8 build).
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
Raphael Argus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks WillowIX, I think I will try to revert to an old DirextX and earlier Nvidia driver version. I'll try 41.09 first and see how that works. Currently using 56.72 and Direct X 9.0b
If I remember right, the D3D really did look better so this may be worth it. I tend to only play one game at a time anyway, so taking a lea back in drivers won't matter much =)

And Apophis is a false god, so just knock it off
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry to use your thread for my little problem Raphael, but since I have exactly the same hardware config (hardware and drivers) than yours, may be you could have an advice.
I run MM7 in software mode too, but no way to run WW I get starting screen with music for a couple of seconds and then ... back to Windows desktop.

Any suggestion ?
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote