Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Complaining Fraud and Breach Complaint Filed against Atari over Dungeons & Dragons License

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Media Contacts:
Hasbro, Inc.
wcharness@hasbro.com.
Wizards of the Coast LLC
Tolena Thorburn@Wizards.com.

December 16, 2009 (Pawtucket, RI) - Hasbro, Inc. today filed a complaint in the District Court of Rhode Island against Infogrames Entertainment S.A, a.k.a Atari, S.A., alleging fraud and five different breaches of their licensing agreement for the Dungeons & Dragons brand.

Dungeons & Dragons is owned by Hasbro’s wholly-owned subsidiary Wizards of the Coast, who discovered earlier this year that Atari may have entered into an unauthorized sublicensing relationship with Namco Bandai Partners (NBP) for the Dungeons & Dragons digital game rights. NBP is a competitor for both Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro, and such an agreement is prohibited under the contract between Hasbro and Atari.

“While unfortunate that we had to take this action, it is crucial for us to protect the Dungeons & Dragons brand,” said Greg Leeds, President of Wizards of the Coast. “We have been working for several months now to reach resolution with Atari, and they have left us with no other choice than to pursue legal action.”
Hasbro is seeking compensatory damages for economic losses suffered as well as a termination of the licensing agreement.

---------------------

Sounds JUST like something Atari would do.... But it sounds like some DnD/Forgotten Realms games are in the works, or will soon be maybe!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Fraud and Breach Complaint Filed against Atari over Dungeons & Dragons License

And we desperately need some new games! This recession and my unemployment would be much more pleasant if I had an DnD/FR game to play.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Fraud and Breach Complaint Filed against Atari over Dungeons & Dragons License

Yeah this has been a long time brewwing, all the way back to even before the epic failure of TOEE, Atari has been screwing D&D Gamers. So many issues with NWN1 like insistence on bad Securerom malware and the more recent disappearance of Premium Modules. I hope Hasbro takes them to the bank and quickly finds a replacment.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

WotC fights Atari. I don't know who I want to lose more. It would be nice if they could both lose.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
WotC fights Atari. I don't know who I want to lose more. It would be nice if they could both lose.
I agree totally.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post

I agree totally. I felt sickened when HASBRO bought AD&D (I still like to call it that)
WotC has been sitting on their hands or making REALLY poor decisions when it comes to Games for the PC or Consoles.. Come on, get a good developer and crank out a killer game.

And they pretty much killed the Forgotten Realms. WotC pissed the hell out of nearly every novel reader jumping ahead 100 years. This means nearly EVERY SINGLE character we loved is dead in the world now.

It pissed off some (now ex) Authors that have been fleshing out their characters, only to find out they're dead now. (WotC is FORCING them to write about the Spell plague).

I mean, some of the novels are okay, but.... With Mystra dead, and loads of new gods, loads of new lands... just seems like a reboot, when one wasn't needed. They had TONS of land and another continent to explore yet in the 'old' FR'..

Bah... As Bruenor would say......

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

WOTC has their cons , but they have kept D&D alive past it's heydey. They have failed to keep a parrallel line of products open to appeal to what i guess you would call "classic" RPG customers with a few exceptions IMO. Good thing TSR made books and game systems that last.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 03-21-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: with proper care and storage :D
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I've probably asked this before, but I've always wondered, what does TSR stand for?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

That's So Raven.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Ironworks Forum Re: Fraud and Breach Complaint Filed against Atari over Dungeons & Dragons License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
I've probably asked this before, but I've always wondered, what does TSR stand for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSR,_In..._Studies_Rules