Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2002, 06:33 AM   #1
jellylad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I may be speaking a bit prematurely (almost certainly am, in fact), but has anyone out there ever rested (in the game, not "real life")??

I have just (almost) cleared out Arnika (and done the monastery and the roads) and not rested once. I'm on day 2 now and my chars are all tickety-boo, with not one death and no reloads. I'm only playing on normal though.

I'm not saying I'm a wizardry guru or anything......
jellylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

You are probably just lucky. Here in my second time through the game, on the road between the Monstery (sic) and Arnika I (level 6 party) ncountered a mob of:
9 soldier ants
8 mordais
6 forest bugs (forgot their name)
In one single combat, not only did I use almost every potion I found in the Monastery but I defenetly had to rest afterwards, to regain spell points and hitpoints.

It was one epic battle, my Samurai was reduced to 2 hitpoints and had to fumble through the common backpack in frantic search for a Hv healing potion while my Fighter had to protect him. My Valkyrie used her cheat death ability and had to be reanimated. And my Bishop was muttering "My Abbey for a Fireball!" during the whole show.

Damn it was a good fight but damn we had to rest afterwards

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: Warhammer ]

Old 01-14-2002, 07:56 AM   #3
jellylad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, I thought I must have got lucky on the road, cos i read loads of posts about how tough it was and how big the size of the battles could be.
Wish I'd have had loads of critters just for the XP.
Ah well, maybe I'll meet them as I stroll back to the monastery with the wheel key.....
jellylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I hit quite a few mobs between the monestary and Arnika. About four packs of 6 and three packs of 4. I didn't have to burn any potions (except some lt heals) but I had to rest 3 times on the way to Arnika.

But if you want XP, you can wonder back and forth on there, because it'll repop over and over. And the mobs get bigger and bigger (they cap out in each area from what I hear).
Chaosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:13 PM   #5
Naugrim
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was pretty much the same way.. I had read about all these problems people have had leaving the monestary and had seen a little of it with my first party, but my current party walked to Anrika with nary a scratch. However after I returned to the Monestary and finished looting I ran into problems. Walking out of the mountainous region to the first grassy area near that locked up inn I ran into a group of around 13 soldier ants, 6 plants, and 10 or so brigand-types. Fortunately, by then I was able to dish out some pretty good damage and had some good luck with sleep and terror and the like.. But I about died when I saw all the red dots converging on my position.. heh
Naugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:25 PM   #6
Erydian
Manshoon

Lucky! [img]smile.gif[/img] It took my current party forever to get to Arnika, mostly because after every fight I *had* to rest, and while I rested new creatures spawned.

If you are after some extra exp, just go back out to one of the road maps. Resting will cause monsters to respawn, as will exiting, and then re-entering a zone.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:43 PM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

my all magickal group hasta rest after every encounter.... well, not so much now, but definitely after every 2 or 3 encounters...

but i don't see a problem. that's what resting is for. it's not like you have a time lock on anything either. and it's FREE!! woohoo!! when you're a group of poor mages that's so great.

V***V
Old 01-15-2002, 06:10 AM   #8
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

Forget about the XP they are useless. The most depressing thing about this game is, that it will constantly adjust your opponents to your leveleven if you stay on the same spot. I spend hours on the road because everytime i rested i was attacked afterwards and had to rest again...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:49 AM   #9
Zud
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have rested a few times when all my protection spells need redone and I have used about all my mana up. what I hate about arnika and arnika trynton road are those daym juggernauts. tough beasties to kill (I like using the lava lamp and sirens wale on em) but still a long fight most every time and not much exp for the fight. when I can clear out some wasps or the like in just a couple rounds and get 5-10 times the exp.
Zud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:17 PM   #10
MaskedFrog
Drow Warrior

I think this game has a perverse sense of humor. My first trip down the road I had to run, hide, run, hide ... all the way to Arnika. I encountered Brigands and Crimson Poppies. Now my party is over level 20 and I was wondering up the road and what do I encounter. Level 1 plants and Low level brigands. Personally I did not think the road spawned anything that low level.
MaskedFrog is offline   Reply With Quote