Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Roll Eyes IWD - New Run

Greetings!

I hope this can be a legit thread. I was unable to see any of a similar nature.

It has been a while since I have been able to play IWD. Its' the first RPG I completed with enormous satisfaction.

I am undertaking the journey once again after an unfinished soloing quest. I got bored after I had all teh best weapons after Kuldahar and my major strategy was to summon 5 elemenatals and let them do all the bashing.

This time I have a party of 6 (fighter, paladin, cleric, ranger, thief, mage). As you can see its a rather safe and balanced party. I have upped the difficulty level to Heart of Fury mode and have begun having problems from the beginning. After a few tries I finally killed of the rotten beetles in Griselda's cellar.

I seem to have more trouble with the goblins at the edge of town - don't think this warrents a spoiler alert - they seems to wipe me out in under a min of fighting.

Help would be appreciated.
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Mad Re: IWD - New Run

Never mind.

Broke up the battle and dealt with the goblin in sets of 1 or 2 till the last bunch consisted of 3.

Anyways, moved on and reached the cavern in the next map (next to Easthaven) and was continuing the same tactic. Now there is a large group of orcs.

I keep buffing with remove fear (not that any orc casts fear here), bless, protection from evil and draw upon holy might.

My offensives are hold person, sleep, colour spray. But these do not do any lasting damage. They only break the ranks delaying them till i attack some others.

Assistance would be appreciated.
Either learn or leave
Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: IWD - New Run

I want to do a Drizzt party some day....w/ Breunor, Wulfgar, Catti-Brie and Regis. This party obviously needs a mage!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Light Bulb Re: IWD - New Run

I dont think that is possible in IWD. Should be possible in IWD 2 though.

It'd be really cool!
Either learn or leave
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Default Re: IWD - New Run

There's at least a few HoF-from-scratch threads around with good advice in them. My opinion is admittedly biased, since I was a major contributor to them...

Forget any spells whose effectiveness depends on the "Hit Dice" of the enemy or the difference in level between enemies and yourself.

Charm Person, Hold Person, Chromatic Orb, and Grease will be good spells for you. Any Held enemy can be hit automatically, so make sure you switch your targets and kill them before it wears off.

You may have a bit more trouble than you might have because of your single-class characters in HoF. It's worth it to dual or multi class certain characters (cleric, thief, mage, druid) to (or from) warrior classes for the better Thaco, ApR, HP, and weapon skills and usability.