Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Gavindale
The Magister

Default Quick question about updating IceWind Dale

I had posted a while back about my problem with Icewind Dale game play, about how the screen and some icons are blacked out, and the map is blacked out as well. I was told to update my video card/driver, so I did but the problem isn’t fixed. I was thinking maybe I should try and update the game, but there is no update option on the main screen. How do I patch the game? I’m sorry if this is rather elementary, I don’t know much about this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Quick question about updating IceWind Dale

Either try downgrading the drivers to a way older version or go to start menu->run->dxdiag and put video hardware 3d acceleration off while playing the game.

If that doesn't help give us some more info, including screenshots preferably (use photobucket if ye don't have some upload site yet). It helps us diagnose the problems.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

The patches take the form of executable files (though some sites zip them). You download the appropriate file, extract it if necessary, and run it.

Depending on what your IWD install consists of, the last patch versions are :

Icewind Dale only - v1.06

IWD + Heart of Winter - v1.41

IWD + HOW + Trials of the Luremaster - v1.42 (there is no additional patch for this one - TOL installs 1.42)

The 1.06 patch for basic IWD is available here :

http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/icewind/downloads.shtml

The HOW patch, and the TOL add-on, are available here :

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

(Site is in english)

Last edited by Kezardin; 06-27-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Gavindale
The Magister

Well, I tried to update my drivers and also patched the game, but still no luck. How do I downgrade my driver for this game? What's the lowdown with that? I'm very eager to play - been waiting a while for this - but if anyone has any other suggestions - I will try anything - please let me know. Thanks again! -- Gavin
Gavindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Kezardin
Elminster

Some other things to try :

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=30840

http://blog.yimingliu.com/2008/04/

(The second site is aimed at BG1 but should still be applicable to other Infinity Engine games)

Last edited by Kezardin; 07-15-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote