Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Arrow

This is a situation I'm sure everyone's experienced; it's not earth-shattering but then most things aren't.

You're talking with someone and they start telling you a story they've told you before. Do you stop them or just let them retell the story?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

If it's a good or brief story, by all means let them retell.
Otherwise you might hint at faintly remembering hearing something like that before, but of course it won't do to groan and beg not to have to sit through that old story again.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I pretend to guess parts of the story along the way, goading them to new heights of enthusiasm.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
mad=dog

It depends.
If I am offered an option I am truthful. "Have you heard about Charles?" "Yes, I have heard that not long ago."
If I am not offered an option I make a split second decision similar to Legolas. Is it worth interupting? Might there be variation? Is this a person who are generally good at delivering a story (and hence able to make something out of nothing)? And if I do interupt it is also in a curtious manour. "..that reminds me that airlines are now..." "Pardon, but I think I know what you are aiming at...".
Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Depends who it is obviously. My gran (being 82) is cool cos she KNOWS she tends to tell things over and over again, but she always says, "if I've told you before, let me know" and I do, and she's cool about it. lol.

If it's a mate, I'd probably joke about it and say they're getting senile and of course tell them that they've already told me. I tell so many stories to so many people, I must sometime repeat myself too, so I basically avoid putting them in an awkward situation by always asking beforehand: "have I told you that one about..." and then stopping if they say "yeah".
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Jorath Calar
Harper

Yeps depends on who it is... and ofcourse the story... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If it's other people. I'll tell them that they've told me that story before. If it's my mum I'll just listen quietly and agrees to whatever she was talking about, no choice really, since I can never defeat her in an argument.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

If someone's recounting their story with obvious relish and that sort of self-satisfied smugness that comes with an upcoming laugh, I'll let them re-tell it. If the story's bland to all concerned I'll be like "heh, yeah.. I remember you mentioning that."
Old 08-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #9
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Usually if it sounds familier I cut in early with I think you told me this one already, but keep going just so I can check. If it is short/funny I will let them finish it and tell them after that they had already told me but since it was "a good one" I didnt mind hearing it again. Otherwise I cut in and let them know.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If it's a good/short story, by all means let them tell it. If you have no wish to hear it again, then what I like to do is say "Oh yeah, you told me that!" The key is to sound like I'm just remembering hearing it, like I had forgotten I'd heard the story. That way it's not like "Yes, you told me." but more along the lines of "Oh, look at us, forgetting things all over. No worries, though."

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote