Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
costaeurope
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sunglass Man Hi ! A newbie needs help :)

Hi there !
I just downloaded Dungeon Craft and I think it's great !
I am happy to join the community !
I am creating and testing a module and maybe I discovered a bug. When a char equips (ready) an item (a weapon in this case) then if the same char. removes it he cannot ready another weapon (the program say that a similar item is already held) even if you trade that item to another char. The result is that the first char. cannot attack anymore. Could somebody give me an hint on this ? Thank you !

Last edited by costaeurope; 05-14-2008 at 10:31 AM.
costaeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
costaeurope
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: Hi ! A newbie needs help :)

I also tried to create a spell using the spell editor. It was set as 1 lvl magic user. Then (after save) I tested the module but the new created char. cannot select that spell on the starting list. Is this normal ? I wanted to test the spell but now I don't know how to do

Ps: I am new here so if this is not the right place to write this kind of message please let me know.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

Hi Costaeurope. Welcome to Dungeon Craft!

This is the right forum to talk about anything even remotely related to DC.
For the first issue, was the item removed from the character or removed from the database?
For the spell, open up the spell editor, highlight your new spell and select edit. If you could take a screenshot of that page and post it here (select 'Go Advanced' and attach it to the post) I would be more than happy to take a look at it.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Magic users don't have access to all spells immediately. If you want to test the spell, make it a cleric spell. You can always change it back after you tweak it

ST
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Or you could leave it as a magic-user spell and when testing, start from the beginning and create a new magic user. Your spell should be available from the list of spells to stick in the characters spellbook.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Right, becuz you set your memoziable spells up in Magicuser character creation, so you'd have to make the spell first...

ST
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
costaeurope
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi there !
Thank you so much for the answer ! I am so happy DC is a live community. So, we were talking about:

Problem with the Item Readied.
The item was removed from the character.
Testing the game I noticed that when a char. finds a weapon and he equips it that's working perfectly. The char. starts using the weapon.
Then I tried to remove the weapon from that char. clicking UnReady: the screen displayed correctly READY NO but the char. cannot ready another weapon (or even the same one). When I try to equip another weapon it says "A similar item is already readied". So, checking the main char. page I noticed that the weapon results still readied. And in combat the char. is still using it ! Therefore I tried to trade the weapon to another char. The weapon is traded and in the main char. page the weapon disappear (and also the base damage of 1d2 vanish). The char. still cannot ready any weapon but now in combat he cannot attack (even with the base hand attack).
I tried with customized weapons and also with prefab ones. Nothing changed. The same problem happens with armor (I just tried it).

Problem with the new spell.
Ok... of course I tried starting from the beginning, but the spell was not available from the list of spells to stick in the characters spellbook. That's the first problem.
In order to test it, following ST suggestion I setted it as a clerical spell. In this way I tested it. Everything works correctly (images, sounds, spell cost, iniziative, range) but no effect occurred. The spell I tried to create, named minor absorber shield, is an abjuration spell that creates a barrier of force around the touched subject that absorbs up to 10 damages and last 30 rounds. Therefore to simulate a such spell I tried to improve the HP of the char. by 10 using the editor. But with what I selected no changes happened. Of course this spell cannot be cumulative but the increment of the spell could cumulate with other different hp increasing spells (eg. aid spell of clerics).

That's all for now! Thank you so much for the help and the warm welcome !

Costa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot1.jpg (87.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
manikus
Jack Burton

For the problem with the weapons/armor, make sure that the item is not cursed (I'm pretty sure you've already done this.) Try to do it in the engine again as a test and then upload the error log here. The error log is in the UAFWin folder and there may be one in the UAFWinEd folder, depending on how big and bad the bug is. I tried to duplicate this on my DC set-up, but couldn't. I presume you're using a modified items database?

For the spell, remove the "+" in front of the 10. When you tested it as a cleric spell in combat, was the subject at max hit points? If so, it wouldn't have added any more (with that script alone, there are ways to temporarily raise max hit points).
If removing the + doesn't work, export the database (done through the database editor menu) as a .txt file and post here so that I can try it on my DC.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
costaeurope
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Item readied/Unreadied
Perfect! I am following the instructions.
I am uploading the UAFWin and the UAFWinEd.
Yes I am using a modified item database!

Spell - Minor Absorber Shield
Ok... I tested it again and I noticed that the spell seems working correctly even if the ammount of HP displayed doesn't increase. It works even if the char. is full healed. I describe what happened during the test: Alisia has 7 HP (full healed), when the combat started she cast Minor Abs. Shield on her self (she was not damaged). After the casting the display still indicated 7 HP (in green), even if she had to have 17 hp. When the first monster hit she lost 1 HP but the display indicated still 7 (this time in orange). After 11 total damages the display indicated correctly 6 Hp and Alisia died after a total ammount of damages of 17. So it works correctly. The problem is that the program does not show the new ammount of HP the char. have when the spell is effective so is quite complicate testing it. Casting more time the same spell doesn't give any HP but other spells like Cure Light Wounds work, even if they heal also the extra HP (an energy shield cannot be healed!) but this is another problem If there is a way to perfectionate it in this sense with a script it would be cool. And there is still the problem that if I set the spell for Magic User it doesn't appear in the starting spells selection list for the new wizards. I exported the database in order to attach it here.

Manikus, thank you so much. I am learning a lot about DC and, even if I am not a programmer, I hope I could be useful in a near future in some way... at least as a professional tester
Attached Files
File Type: txt UafErr_Eng.txt (5.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: txt UafErr_Edit.txt (5.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: txt spells.TXT (81.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
costaeurope
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do you find any answer ?