Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-23-2001, 08:15 PM   #1
Waluin

Something tells me I hopped into this one a little soon, although I dont know how since my team is pretty beef.

I didnt bother to write down names, I dont usually think about it, so excusem my horrendous misspellings/forgetfulness.

My team is composed of me (lvl 11 blade), an level 10 Misc, followed by V-something (the gent needed to get into the sphere), the formerly flying elf cleric/mage, the bounty hunter fellow, and the half-elf woman. The rest range from level 9 to level 11, respectfully.

My problem: Just met the Solamnic Knights (*BIG* dragonlance fan, so I immediately was pleased with the brief crossover) and offed the fish-men in the north room rather handily. I was sweeping over the halfling opposition when I tried to cross the second bridge area in their camp.

This halfling mage is TOUGH. I cant do anything to him, and he disables us rather handily. I cant even distract him from doing spells in time, everything I throw at him doenst seem to do the trick before we all get aced by a spell or frozen in place.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2001, 08:19 PM   #2
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Try casting silence on him or hitting him from range with arrows to disrupt his spellcasting. Jaheiras insect spells can also give magic users some big problems.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-23-2001, 08:21 PM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Hi there new one!

Sure, it's pretty simple if you've got some handy summoning spells in hand. Cast them where the entrance is to the cave, (near the solomatic knights) and then lure each one or two into the area.

The mages won't chase you, but the fighters will so you have some backup to help you fight them off - do a "gang up" style attack.

Then, when only the wizards are a threat, have a few leftover summoning spells such as Jaheria's (half elf woman) Animal Summoning 1 and get them to be the "bait" for the the powerful spells.

You just go in and endure the remaining minor spells and hopefully it won't be too long before they fall to your blade's offensive spin!

Good Luck

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 08:22 PM   #4
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Use an antimagicshell scroll and he cant effect you, there expensive enough and availible from Ribald in the adventurer shop.

------------------
Old 06-23-2001, 08:25 PM   #5
Waluin

wow, thanks guys! what prompt replies! I'll be sure to give 'em a try. I'll try em till I bust through, and tell you how it went if I succeed!
Old 06-23-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
vesselle
Hathor

woah! i just finished the planar sphere. you haven't even got your toes wet, yet. it gets a lot rougher, especially as baddie mages go.

SPOILER
i have jaheira the half elf maid *lol*, plus aerie (the wingless one) and anomen (cleric) as my magicians...i took them all out to the solemnic knights and completely redid every dang spell they know and then let them sleep. i beefed the group before each different area encounter with prot from evil, bless, aid and chant and then everything else was dispel magic, silence, feeblemind, command etc.

i also made sure they had their scripts set up. (note: i have Grog's scripts for cleric, druid, mage, and cleric/mage and i gotta say they are totally rocking! they utilize wands, potions and spells AND they dont run out and go toe to toe with the worst enemy in the area!) you prolly don't have those, so use the wizard disabler script. at least with that one, your casters will be using everything they have to get rid of the baddie mage in question right off the bat.

that quest is a toughie. but it's so much fun. you really have to manage your fights. be careful entering each new area. if you're low on your spells, take everyone back to the solemnic knights and rest.

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-23-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 08:40 PM   #7
bogong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Try having Jaheira cast two fire elementals with your party out of sight and some-one invisible to guide the elementals or other summonded creatures. These are great for distracting and wearing down your opponents. As is her Insect Plague.

Aerie should also be loaded up with anti-magic spells eg Lower Resistance, Miscast Magic etc.

Old 06-23-2001, 08:50 PM   #8
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Well...........he did say that they were at 9th to 11th level - that's why I suggested the enemy luring tactic.

If he was higher, then why bother when the pit fiend does everything for you? (LVL 9 WIZARD = Gate)

------------------
Old 06-24-2001, 12:14 AM   #9
Waluin

heh, man I suck. I can't take him down. Will keep trying.
Old 06-24-2001, 12:33 AM   #10
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
heh, man I suck. I can't take him down. Will keep trying.
i broke my team up.

i put 3 fighter types up front~ each one of them dual-weilding sharp axes and blades. think of it. that's 6 sharp things banging him, disturbing his concentration and interrupting his spell casting. that's like totally the point. stop him from casting.

when the crew loses hps, pause and have them slop down a potion.

then, i have an archer and 2 magic casters tossing off miscast magic, dispel magic, and the occasional bless or aid.

i lost one person. anomen got spelled, and minsc decided anomen was a practice dummy. one hit and anomen was out of the picture. minsc felt pretty bad, but like, we all know he's not very bright so we deal with it.

i had to do this encounter 3 or 4 times. i was about the same levels you're at, too. you can do it. just stick with it. one of these attempts, you will get your crit hit ::smiles::

V***V