Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 04:32 AM   #1
SpongeBobTheDestoyer

I've tried, and quit and tried again. And quit again. Having a party is just way cooler. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I think.

For one, it seems like you go through the game without a change in strategy. In a party you can go into a battle with so many more options. Scout ahead with a thief. Then set up a defensive position and bring the enemy to you or prepare an offensive bumrush with your tank storming in or a barage of magic spells or summoned creatures or whatever, the list could go on forever.

Growing up reading and playing D&D gave me a lust for magic items. The more people in the party the more items you can seek out and put to good use or evil use, each one specific to a certain class of character. I just hate wasting or selling all of these super enchanted items in a solo game.

Leveling up so fast is great but isn't it a bit cheesy? It doesn't take very long for your character to reach demi-god levels. It sort of takes the challenge out of the easier quests. And if a party defeats a dragon and a soloer defeats a dragon why does one get more experience? Just because he/she did it all by themselves? Both the group and the solo "experienced" killing a dragon. I guess I don't agree with the way experience is divided up. Rant on brother...I miss the dialogue between NPCs. I alway picture this adventuring done by a band of well-doers or their counterparts.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. I would just like to finish one solo so I could join so many of you out there who have, but alas, it's too freaking boring!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:43 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

It might be boring ,but you can learn all advantiges and disadvantiges of a class or kit. You can learn much new tactics and new things. But if you are bored,you aredone with it. Soloing is not for boring or not boring. I consider soling as a challenge and i really get to know abilities and options of the class.

Like SixOfSpades would said:"i don`t belive in soloing. I rather have a party of adventures how help me with my quests."

[ 07-01-2003, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:46 AM   #3
BaRoN NiGhT

solo-ing is just too hard, but fun, to do.but that is just in the beginning of playing the game.later, if u play several times and get a bit bored, u want something just different from the usual thing, maybe a bit more hard character to play, a more hard difficulties, or even just playing by yer self (no pc).this happens to me.playing solo is cool too, cause the game increase in difficulties and needs more strategies to execute from yer head too beat the demons, than the strategies u usually use when playing in a big party.
and for the experience thing.i think the 'dividing experience'thing is fair enough, cause if yer plaing in a party of 6, that means u beat him with 6 types of power.and those 6 types of power r different in the affect to kill the dragon, so u have to divide the experience.the same as if you were doing a homework with 6 of yer friends helping u.which one makes u more understandable?i think its more understandable if u do it alone, even if u did ask something to yer friend or to your teacher about it before, u just understand more doing it alone than doing it with yer friends.

edit:sorry Xen, forgot to erase the quote thing [img]graemlins/happyteeth.gif[/img]
--------------------

[ 07-01-2003, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: BaRoN NiGhT ]
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:48 AM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

[img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] Baron Knight:there is no need to quite the entire post. Some people still have Dial-Up connection. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-01-2003, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 07-01-2003, 05:13 AM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

i tried soloing a few times myself. this time i was playing a solo tactics/ascension(and the usual weimer mods) game, and i almost got to spellhold(just windspear hills left), but then i got an inspiration(alright, alright, i finally got it to work) to play bg1 via BGT. ah well, i saved all the essential files and promised my self i would return to it as soon as i finish bg1...well see

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:22 AM   #6
Alson
Galvatron

I'm with SpongeBob here all the way. Go parties! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for the challenge aspect - call me a fruitcake, but am I the only one who finds soloing much easier?! Sure, you have less firepower... but you don't struggle to keep 5 other party memebers (= possible losers, read ahead) alive! A solo character can just put on all the Phat Lewt and stroll through most battles. In a party, one needs to micromanage inventory and equipment for every memeber of the party, with respect to his/her part in the party array. I find this to be one of the most interesting and fun parts of BG2. Heck, I spend more time planning my parties than playing them!

Anyway - parties. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:26 AM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes parties are better from the roleplaying wiew too. And in a party you can have mcu more versatile tacitcs. And as said above soloing [b]is
Old 07-01-2003, 06:47 AM   #8
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
I'm with SpongeBob here all the way. Go parties! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

As for the challenge aspect - call me a fruitcake, but am I the only one who finds soloing much easier?! Sure, you have less firepower... but you don't struggle to keep 5 other party memebers (= possible losers, read ahead) alive! A solo character can just put on all the Phat Lewt and stroll through most battles. In a party, one needs to micromanage inventory and equipment for every memeber of the party, with respect to his/her part in the party array. I find this to be one of the most interesting and fun parts of BG2. Heck, I spend more time planning my parties than playing them!

Anyway - parties. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
exactly! soloing is challenging before you hit level 13-15(depends on class), then it turns out to be a walk in the park. the banters and romances are the thing that makes me come back to the game over and over again, and you miss all that if you play solo! i find a party made by yourself to be just as lame. no party interactions, worse yet, while creating the party, you usually plan ahead so you have a party that can take on anything without a second thought. all the characters are also likely to be uber powerful stat wise. to end the rant, ill quote Alson - "parties [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] "

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Party on! [img]graemlins/3party.gif[/img]

Seriously, no matter how versatile your character is, you're still less so than a party. My own tends to be small, 3-4 members, but I try to cover all the "necessities": at least one tankable character, one healer, one thief and one offensive spellcaster. You don't need all these but it's make the party more "whole". Besides it's more realistic to play a party considering the number of foes you'll encounter.

[ 07-01-2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 07-01-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Oh,i soloed too much games now days...*goes make a new party*