Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2004, 06:10 AM   #11
philip
Galvatron

Opera is bloatware and from what I heard more about it I'm not going to like it at all. And I'm very happy with firefox so if it's not really possible I'm not going to do anything.

Thanks for the help anyway!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #12
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I started using Firefox the other day. The thing I find about it is you need a large number of plugins before you can actually do much. Is there a way to just download a giant plugin, which covers everything?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #13
philip
Galvatron

That's what firefox is about. It's as lightweight as you want. I haven't heard of any packages that have a lot of plugins in it
Old 10-11-2004, 06:55 AM   #14
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I started using Firefox the other day. The thing I find about it is you need a large number of plugins before you can actually do much. Is there a way to just download a giant plugin, which covers everything?
You don't need extensions to do anything. Only two of them add functionality, two of them modify existing functionality slightly. One of them stops some annoying Javascript messageboxes from coming up (because no-right-click scripts don't actually block right click in Firefox). Of all seven, there are only four (EMButtons, Download Manager Tweak, Blank Last, and Mouse Gestures) that I would want to ever appear in the official builds. None of them would I say need to be in the official builds, though. One of them - ChatZilla - I am very glad isn't.

EDIT: If you mean plugins as in Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, Quicktime, et al, you need them in every other browser I know of aswell, it's just IE installs software on request without asking or telling you.

Quote:
Well neither of those scripts does what I want. I want to block everything which doesn't originate from the server the site is on (ads!) but make for example Ironworks and other forums an exception to this.
edit: those extensions only allow blocking all or none or load images individually.
But what you can do is to block all images from non-originating server in your preferences, and when you need to see external images on Forums and such, you can tell it to show all images on that page.

[ 10-11-2004, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #15
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Well neither of those scripts does what I want. I want to block everything which doesn't originate from the server the site is on (ads!) but make for example Ironworks and other forums an exception to this.
edit: those extensions only allow blocking all or none or load images individually.
But what you can do is to block all images from non-originating server in your preferences, and when you need to see external images on Forums and such, you can tell it to show all images on that page. [/QUOTE]But then I've got to tell it everytime I need it. And those extensions only have all images and no images as choice so it doesn't work.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 AM   #16
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, I've done a bit of testing, and the Adblock Extension seems to be quite good. It is designed to do exactly what you want, and it doesn't seem to have the problems some of the earlier versions did. I use the bottom build of it on that page... I like to avoid the icon version, because the statusbar icon is annoyingly large. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I use the following filter for it:
code:
[Adblock]
/\D(588|468|234|120)x(600?|120|90)\D/
googlesyndication
us.yimg.com/a/
/\/buy_assets\//
/[\W\d_](top|bottom|left|right|)?banner(s|id=|\d|_)[\W\d]/
/[\W\d](double|fast)click[\W\d]/
/[\W\d]click(stream|thrutraffic|thru|xchange)[\W\d]/
/[\W\d]value(stream|xchange|click)[\W\d]/
/[\W\d]dime(xchange|click)[\W\d]/
/[\W\d](onlineads?|ad(banner|click|-?flow|frame|ima?g(es?)?|_id|js|log|serv(er|e)?|str eam|_string|s|trix|type|vertisements?|v|vert|xchan ge)?)[\W\d]/
[/QUOTE]Which seems to block everything I've come across, except for valid images. [img]smile.gif[/img] To use it, save that into a text file and import it through AdBlock's prefences dialogue.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #17
philip
Galvatron

Thanks!