Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-07-2005, 10:05 PM   #21
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

This is a bump for Sir Degrader. I didn't know how to link to this, so I thought this way he would spot it.

Sasha is (was) an American Eskimo and Spaniel mix. An awesome dog, the likes of which we won't find again. Anyway, there's some very useful stuff in here from lots of people.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 AM   #22
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

The humane society staff at our local shelter once told me that they have far more large breed dogs and puppies come in and be put down for lack of homes. The reasons, they said were that a lot of people don't bother with neuter/spay of their dogs and large dogs tend to get loose more often and roam farther than small ones do, thus resulting in more unwanted puppies.

And the other major reason? Most people don't like large dogs that jump on them or get out of control....but a goodly number of them TAKE a puppy that is GOING to be BIG in a year and then they don't bother to train it properly. So when the pup is full grown and chewing on their hands or slippered feet (aww it was sooo cute when they were pups! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) they get mad and dump the dog on the shelter, in ads in the paper or on the street.

So the solutions seem sort of simple: spay and neuter pets, train the puppy to behave the way you want him/her to from the start! So simple but it just doesn't happen.

I love big dogs. Wish my house was bigger, I'd have a couple... although my cats would object! Hubby wants a medium sized dog so we may get one in year or two. Then again.. it may be a big one, cuz like your wife, Variol, I may break down and then we'd end up with a big pup. [img]smile.gif[/img]

LOL, my dad's always said he'd like a SMALL dog... like a chihuahua sized dog. All my life I've heard him say that....and to date, he's never had one smaller than a bassett hound and the rest have been Lab mixes or that size. His current dog is a shepherd mix!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #23
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think there's also way too much impulse buying. You see a cute little puppy in the window and you don't consider the fact that in a year, it will be 60+ pounds.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #24
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ahh, thanks for the bumping. About the original topic, don't get a terrier or a dog that has been used for fighting, hunting dogs are also liable to let their instict get the better of them and kill other animals. An APBT or Tosa Inu may be fanatically loyal, but will likely slaughter the cats. I find that any dog not of the aftermentioned types is will suited to cats as long as they have been raised together.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #25
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Good news! We found a new dog on the weekend! We looked at him on Sunday and we will pick him up on the weekend. He's a year and a half and also a spanial mix. He is bigger than Sasha though, but not much. I'll post a pic when I get a good one!