Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default What is Bittorent and Logmein?

Anyone have any info that I can understand re these two sites?

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: What is Bittorent and Logmein?

Someone is a bit adventurous eh?

Bittorent - a file sharing p2p. With a bittorent client (eg bitcomet/utorrent) you can download any program/file/movie/ebook/music/etcetc hosted on a torrent website for free. Some say this is illegal, some say sharing is caring *cough*. So it's up to you if you want to use this.

Logmein - A program that enable you to control another computer where you have installed it. For example if I install this program in your computer, I can take control of your computer whenever I want from my own computer. So for security purpose, better find and uninstall this program from your computer asap.

Those are my tl:dr version. I'm sure someone will write an essay for you later.

Last edited by Kakero; 07-25-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

While there is some legit use for Bittorrent, it is often (mostly) used for piracy.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

WoW is updated through torrent systems - that is legal - but agreeed most use of i.e. Utorrent and other applications is most likely for illegal use.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah P2P is a companies cheap way of distributing files (i.e. make your customers seed them).
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I use Logmein to log in to my work cpu.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well forget the torrent stuff, I don't need to do any illegal stuff, not to mention I worry those sites would have viruses or other yucky stuff.

I actually used Logmein so a friend could help me get songs from my PC onto my ipad. Well that went (as Charlie would say, "tits up"). Not sure what went wrong but ended up trying to do some windows update? on the ipad, which locked it up. I was on itunes and it then said it wanted to "Restore" my ipad to its default settings to fix the problem. Well I clicked that restore button a zillion times, and each time, after waiting for it to restore for 20 minutes, it just errored out (Error 2003, which was apparently an "unknown error"). I then searched my problem on the net and it said I could reset the ipad by holding the two power buttons down at the same time for 15 seconds, then plug it in, but that didn't work. My ipad was stuck on an itunes icon with a plug picture. I couldn't do a thing with it, including even seeing if it needed a recharge.

So I had to go to the Apple store. There are only two nearby and everyone and their mother was there (which is always the case no matter the day or time). Then their computers went down for 30 minutes, so I was there for about 2 hours. They have a "Genius Bar" which is where the people are who help you LOL. My Genius ended up doing the same dang thing I tried, but on a Mac laptop. Weird, but it fixed it.

I don't dare try to plug my ipad on my PC again now LOL. Not sure what the problem was (windows is all updated on the PC, even turned Norton off). I can't help but wonder though if Vista may be the culprit, cause I've had trouble with itunes on that PC before (even had to reinstall itunes because it randomly got "corrupted" once, and sometimes when I click on my itunes icon, nothing happens and I have to manually load it in Google).

Timber, how to you use Logmein to get on your work PC computer without somebody on the other end allowing you? Just curious.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You just set it up with a password etc. it's all in the user guide.

IIRC Logmein is windows exclusive, so that would explain issues with the iPad. Trying to bridge with an Apple OS would most likely error you out. Even a Windows tablet would be iffy I think. That is of course if they haven't changed this with an update (been a year or so since I used it). Most people use it to access a PC from another PC and that's about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
So I had to go to the Apple store...Then their computers went down for 30 minutes, so I was there for about 2 hours.
Hilarious. An Apple store that not only can't properly service the waiting customers (same issue here) but also can't keep its system up.

Quote:
Timber, how to you use Logmein to get on your work PC computer without somebody on the other end allowing you? Just curious.
I didn't set it up, but I probably could have been the one. Essentially you just set up a password that allows Logmein to access it remotely. I usually just lock it, so that all it needs is a ctrl-alt-del entry via our internal network (oh, and since you can't hit ctrl-alt-del while online without affecting the machine you're on at home, Logmein has a button that solves that, too) but Logmein can *sometimes* access it even if it's turned off -- emphasis on *sometimes.*