Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default temp gone characters

I know we can temp gone a character and they would not show up in combat, but outside of combat it is not an effective temporary removal of characters because the characters that are not temp gone can trade items/recieve healing spells/ ect from those that ARE temp gone...

I would like to make a non-NPC's inventory, money, and spells/abilities unavailable while a quest/ASL is active. I know that the spells could be scripted to not work on someone who is temp gone or cast by someone who is temp gone. BUT is there any way to somehow deny access to a characters items/money temporarily? OR temporarily remove characters from the party without being heavy handed (like a training hall event loop that keeps returning you to the training hall and you can only exit from if the player removes the required characters from the party)?

I am tossing around mod ideas and I have an idea for something that would allow for an interesting sub-plot in a mod.

also, can we change a NPC characters name thru script? AFAIK, the name can be get- but not set.

ST

Last edited by SilentThief; 09-28-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: EDIT - for clarity
SilentThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: temp gone characters

Oh, how I hate this forum's software...

I'm on a system where I have to agree at a prompt page every hour and if I forget and click "Post Quick Reply", I lose the post. I forget to check and/or save a copy to the clipboard first, because this is the only forum I use where I can't recover the data... Grrrr!

Anyway, I had written out a quite long, and hopefully thoughtful response to this issue. Well, ya ain't goin' get that now...

In a nutshell-
Temp gone is designed for combat use only, as per FRUA.
Thus, this is a feature request, which I can see being implemented via one of three ways 1) a new status type is added for "3D Gone" - completely hard-coded, character name greyed out until they are no longer "3D Gone" (greyed out means they can not be clicked on or participate in combats), 2) a script that allows a designer to grey out the name until some point later, or 3) new functions $REMOVE_TARGET_CHAR() and $ADD_TARGET_CHAR() (which both bring up issues that would need to be dealt with that are not insignificant) which removes the character from the party/adds a character to the party.

Also, since I am not privy to your subplot idea, I tried to imagine scenarios where I would use this as a designer, and they break down into 2 camps: 1) Big Deals - If the party is being whittle down so that only a few characters are going to be used for a bit of time and across various locations, I would use a training hall on either side of this; 2) Small Deals - through the use of Who Tries, or a chain of them with GPDL checks to make sure the same PC/NPC is chosen each time and a solo combat or two if needed, the addition of appropriate Text Events would give the desired effect.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

actually, after posting this I think I came up with a workable solution (the power of "getting away from the problem" to find a solution )

ST
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Shadow Stranger

As for Manikus's problem:
Write out your reply in Word or whatever and then hit reload. Make sure Word, or whatever program you use, is open at the time. This is a good idea anyway, because you will see the latest posts just before you commit your message, the latest posts may require editing of the message. This is what I do in the FRUA forum. If you do it in that forum you will remember it for this forum.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger View Post
As for Manikus's problem:
Write out your reply in Word or whatever and then hit reload. Make sure Word, or whatever program you use, is open at the time. This is a good idea anyway, because you will see the latest posts just before you commit your message, the latest posts may require editing of the message. This is what I do in the FRUA forum. If you do it in that forum you will remember it for this forum.
I appreciate the suggestion, and this is how I used to do things. But, as I only write about 1% of my responses in this forum over the last several months, it's not worth the pain of adding one more step in the process. For the FRUA Community forums and the various other forums I regularly visit and contribute to (not to mention my various webmail pages) I can back-up the browser and my information has been saved in the cache.