Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #11
Absynthe

Another member of the walking dead here. I can fall asleep about half the time when I go to bed, but within an hour or so I wake up and it's all over for the night. It's at the point where my coworkers have a pool guessing how much sleep I get in a week. Most of them are betting several hours too high...
The only time I can sleep well is when I'm hiking.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I sometimes have trouble sleeping. I just tend to put up with it, and sleep whenever I can. I'm currently on a 27 hour sleep cycle, which means I am shortening my life at a rate of 40 days, 10 hours and 40 minutes a year.
If I'm having real problems sleeping, large quantities of very expensive wine seem to help.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #13
Jorath Calar
Harper

I have bouts of insomnia, happens maybe4 times a year and lasts about a week... last time I was awake for 3 days with about 2 hours of actual sleep.

The best cure I know for is to read a book by R.A. Salvatore.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Oh, Meg. Large quantities of very expensive wine solve everything (except impotence). If only our world leaders realized this.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #15
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Insomnia, I have it quite often actually, except mine is in the form of a sleeping disorder called Hypomania.

Basicly, I have stayed up for hours on end during certain times of the month, lasts for about a week usually, and I'll be lucky to get 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Sometimes I go days without sleeping at all. The sleep cycles come like this every month, but it's still hard to adjust to, especially with school.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #16
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Oh, Meg. Large quantities of very expensive wine solve everything (except impotence). If only our world leaders realized this.
LMAO Illumina, i might have to quote that in my sig, Nice one
Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #17
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
If I'm having real problems sleeping, large quantities of very expensive wine seem to help.
Hear, hear! One of the best solutions to most problems, and terribly underapplied.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #18
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I suffer from bouts of insomnia myself. The only "cure" I ever discovered was the martial arts. It's something I find interesting, challenging, and leaves my physically tired afterwards.

The problem is, I broke my foot, and I haven't slept well in about 6 weeks now.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #19
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
The best cure I know for is to read a book by R.A. Salvatore.
LOL! And I actually like Salvatore!

I was a horrible insomniac until I came to college. Here I ended up with no time to do anything, so I had to optimize everything ... and I end up with a 7-8 block for sleeping every night! For me, what solved it:

1) Caffeine: It takes 6 hours for HALF of it to get out of your blood stream, i.e. from a decent cup of coffee at 5pm, 100 mg will still be in your system at 11pm. I just never drink any caffeine after lunch now -- my lunchtime coffee is the end of it.

2) Evening Workout: I couldn't find time to do my workouts during my normal afternoon slot, and I hate doing them in the morning, so I allocated the block from 7 - 9pm, finals week excluded, for workouts. It's enough time, but early enough that the rush will wear off by 11pm, just in time for bed.

I've probably slept more in the past two years than in all the years before that, combined ...
Old 12-16-2004, 01:04 AM   #20
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I had insomnia at the beginning of year 11. I think it was stress, because I also had nightmares when I did go to sleep. It was just so frustrating and irritating to need to sleep but not be able to. I did a lot of pacing (didn't help! ). Fortunately for me, it passed fairly quickly.

This is a really effective CBT strategy for insomnia, that might work for you [img]smile.gif[/img]

One thing you could look at doing is keeping a sleep diary. Recording when you go to bed (as in start trying to go to sleep), how long it takes to go to sleep (obviously this will be an estimate), how long you sleep, how many times you wake up during the night, what time you finally get up. Then work out how long you spend in bed asleep, and how long in bed not asleep. This will help you get a handle on exactly what is going on (because people often underestimate how much sleep they are actually getting), and also what your general sleep cycle is. Also record what sort of things you are doing to overcome daytime sleepiness, e.g., caffeine, daytime naps, etc.

Basically, when you have insomnia, you need to reset your sleep/wake cycle so it is very steady and there aren't a lot of deviations to it. It's a really bad idea, for instance, to try to catch up on sleep you've missed during the week on the weekend, even though most people do it. So stopping all things that are strategies against daytime sleepiness are the first key.

So, when you've worked out what your sleeping patterns actually are, the strategy is sleep restriction. This sounds paradoxical, but the aim is to maximise the amount of time you spend sleeping while you're actually in bed. So you start by setting a non-changing rise time. No matter how much sleep you've gotten the night before, you always get up at the same time. This helps your body gets its sleep-wake cycle back on track. Then you set a going to bed time. This should be quite a bit less than what your usual go to bed time is, or used to be before you started getting insomnia. The aim is to have you sleep when you're in bed, but be tired the next day so when you go to sleep the next night, you'll be more likely to sleep. Then each night or couple of nights, you adjust the bed time by about 15 minutes, until you reach your ideal bed time (e.g., 8 hours before rise time). If you can't get to sleep within 15 minutes, get up and do something. Similarly if you wake up during the night and can't get back to sleep within 15 minutes. You'll be pretty tired the first week or so, but it's not something that works straight away, but it does work the best.