Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-30-2001, 03:34 AM   #41
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

ok, listen up all you predictors and prognosticators...

fact: there were originally twenty (20) bhaalspawn ("he will spawn a score of mortal progeny"; score=20)

fact: sufficient death and destruction adds to the, uh, power rating regarding ascending to the throne, i.e. who gets to be the new god

fact: some bhaalspawn have already been eliminated (the intro movie for bg definitely implies that at LEAST one is gone)

fact: since there being two bhaals would be ridiculous, it follows that for there to be a new lord of murder, only one bhaalspawn can survive.

at least four of the bhaalspawn were "normal" (bg intro dead guy, the pc, imoen, sarevok), and the supposed fifth is a fire giant (where did that come from again?), so while this is hardly a majority, it seems safe to say the avatar of bhaal didnt copulate with any dragons or other powerful creature. besides that child not having much competition to the throne, it would present too obvious a target for extermination by both the other spawn and, more importantly, groups like the harpers, radiant heart, etc.

my theory is this: the end goal, assuming you're being a good guy and don't want to be the lord of murder (sicko!), is not to ascend but rather prevent anyone from ascending, which boils down to making sure at least two bhaalspawn survive since ascension becomes default if there is only one remaining.

given that imoen is something of "pal" but seems to be slowly turning to the dark side ("death is... pretty", etc), ToB may be about finding a way to supernaturally extract the essence of bhaal from you and her before she wipes you out. that's right, imoen's the bad guy. and on the assumption that you and her would be the only bhaalspawn left (i imagine the pc will have to eliminate at least one or two more, and she may kill even more), you cant just kill her, both because she's not totally in control of herself AND it would promote you.

anyway, that's my theory. the irenicus thing gave me the idea of extracting essences so i do think it's possible bhaal may end up in a gem somewhere guarded by you and your sister against any other god-wannabe's.

Amergin

------------------
blessed are the cheesemakers
Old 05-30-2001, 04:35 AM   #42
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I would bet my money on Melissan being a fallen planetar - which is a VERY tough opponent.

STATS STATS STATS STATS! a planetar is a type of celestial being right?

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!
Old 05-30-2001, 06:55 AM   #43
Vampire

Darn! I have a near Lawful Good party! Can't have Sarevok then!
Maybe if gave him the the Helm of Opposite Alignment! lol
Old 05-30-2001, 07:23 AM   #44
Rolzi_69
The Magister

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!
Tell me who the 5th spawn is
and hu is that fire bloke
and hu is milessant
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGH
tll me now oh faithful memnoch!!!!!!1
Old 05-30-2001, 08:20 AM   #45
Cayle
The Magister

But if Amergin's thoughts are in the ballpark, you might decide that you NEED to bring sarevok back. That would be quite the twisted plot twist indeed.

------------------

- Cayle
Old 05-30-2001, 09:49 AM   #46
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I like Amergin's line of thinking!
Sorta like the Highlander series.
There can be only one!

Oh minor nitpicking, but I dont think the slaughter of innocents actually adds to the power of the Bhaalspawn, but rather causes enough of a stir for the Bhaalspawn to assume the portfolio of the Lord of Murder, sorta like an Ascension Ritual thing, or just a sacrifice or some such.

------------------
Why?
Old 05-30-2001, 11:15 AM   #47
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Interesting theory Amergin. Fits my theory that your PC can't become a god because it doesn't fit with the other D an D publications. Interplay aren't going to create a new god. Maybe Imoen goes evil because her powers were awakened forcefully by Irenicus while you've always been more in touch with your Bhaal essence and have fought and controlled it. The game would basically end with happy ever after with you and Imoen living on as normal people and maybe Sarevok too.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 05-30-2001, 11:21 AM   #48
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's a very interesting and well-thought out theory, Amergin.

------------------
Old 05-30-2001, 11:29 AM   #49
Sigmar
Unicorn

There is only one other being with power to rival the power
of the fire giant. That is Tiax, you all thought he died in the
asylum but it was just a cunning trick to make the character
think he had finally gone, little does he know he has Tiax
waiting for him at the end of throne of bhaal.

------------------
Tiax will rule all!
Who prodded Tiax?!
Prepare to feel the mighty magical powers
of Tiax... stop laughing!
(The "wise" words of Tiax.)
Old 05-31-2001, 11:43 AM   #50
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

a bomp instead of a bump

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."