Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-13-2001, 01:50 AM   #61
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

As far as I know I'm Always Invisible but that aside
I got like this Kensai-mage
Always invisible and always stoneskinned
not only that
i also got a thief-mage having the same
they backstab and engage battles after having fired some spells (not the thief)
and in the beginning they are dead before they hit you to often
You must be able to survive and thus you Ranger/Cleric grows
eventhuogh a Druid levels up faster a Cleric still duelles up as one of the fastest classes in the game

And what i meant with a Tank
I normally use tanks to fight weaker opponent to save my spells
and if your fighting hobgoblins you can win if you have AC-6 and Crom Feayr
And i have no other uses for a Tank
However i must admit i never played insane

BTW kalkylus there's an entrance leading directly to mae'var without having to deal with his hidden thiefs
Old 02-13-2001, 04:28 AM   #62
G.W.

Yep, elementals aren't that good once you've gotten past chapter three and know how to find good weapons right away...
I'd suggest using the ranger/cleric's crazy augmentation spells that give him extra hp and strength, they are available at a fairly low level.

Old 02-13-2001, 09:30 PM   #63
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Rikard, yes I know of this entrance, but I was not talking about the thieves in front of Mae'vars building. I was talking about Renals building, which I must enter sooner or later. There are thieves there that can kill you easily whith backstabs and you only gets 14 exp for each one of them.
Old 02-17-2001, 07:57 AM   #64
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

SPOILER about Kangaxx and liches.

I had some time over today, so I decided I would do the "Kangaxx-mission". My characters are now at level 12, except the fighter/thief who is at level 10/11. I had heard from someone that you could get two rings of gaxx, if you stole one from the first Kangaxx, so I decided I would try that. I had three of my party members that could hurt Kangaxx. The fighter/thief had flame-tounge (+4 agains undead), the ranger/cleric dualwielded mace of disruption (the improved one) and flail of ages, and the berserker/mage had staff of ryhmn. My tactic was pretty easy:

I had one mage cast two scrolls of protection from undead on my ranger/cleric and fighter/thief. My fighter/thief set three traps, and my berserker/mage stood in the corner, out of sight from Kangaxx. I let my main character, Jill the kensai/mage, stay in a visible position so that Kangaxx would see her, but also so that she wouldn't have far to the corner. I opened the tomb, and let Kangaxx come. When he he became visible (and blue), I stole the ring of gaxx, then he saw Jill and became hostile. Then I let Jill stay put and watch when the ranger/cleric and the fighter/thief took care of him. If Jill wasn't in a visible position, then Kangaxx would never die, so I had to make her watch the terrible slaughter. As soon as the demi-kangaxx came, I let Jill go to the corner, so that she wouldn't be mazed. The ranger/cleric and the fighter/thief took care of the demi-kangaxx very easy, because he didn't even see them.

After this fight, I have 2 ring of gaxx!! This almost feels like cheating. I think I will give the rings to Jill or maybe I should give it to my ranger/cleric?? Who should have the boot of speeds? I let my ranger/cleric have it this fight, but Jill is kind of specialized in fighting because of her spells. Jill have mostly protective combat spells that boost her to be a really good fighter.

I feel pretty content about this party, even though I miss the backstabs of my former kensai/thief. My fighter/thief is a really weak backstabber, I always get disapointed when he only does 25-50 in quadridouble damage. I have only seen him do 112 damage at most, which was quite usual for my kensai/theif
Old 02-19-2001, 12:39 AM   #65
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

For anyone that is interested, I am going to the twisted rune with this party (still at insane difficulty of course and at level 12). I was really close one time of beating them, but I got unlucky. Maybe next week I will try again. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can beat them with this party?
Old 02-19-2001, 11:43 PM   #66
G.W.

Well el kalkylus this seems to be the last on top subject on the board, and the only one I bother reading now. When it goes, so goes the board...

Old 02-21-2001, 05:02 PM   #67
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yeah, it is gone soon enough, as always. It is nice to see that someone reads my post. It seems that people here on the board are not interested in discussing the game anymore.

I have learned a lot from this board, for example, never choose a gnomish mage/thief (hehehee), but I think it stops here. It is sad, but it's life. Back to math and programming.

By the way, G.W, don't you have a suggestion in how to beat the guys at the twisted rune with this party?
Old 02-21-2001, 05:56 PM   #68
Epona
Zartan

Just to let you know, I am interested in discussing the game, that's how I found the board in the first place, and there have been loads of useful tips which have helped. Also every day there are a few queries about this or that, but they move off the first page pretty quickly, so I try to dig some out of page 2 or 3 and answer them when I've got a moment.
On the question of a 4 member party, it is not something I have tried yet, but I will do on my next run through the game, and all these tips will be useful. Let me know how the twisted rune goes....
Old 02-22-2001, 08:43 AM   #69
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Okey, I finally beat them with this party on insane difficulty. It was not easy, and this tactic is not fullproof, but it worked 2 times out of 3.

Here is my party again:
Sligyn - Berserker/mage- level 9/12 - equipped with Lilarcor and elven bow.
Jill - Kensai/mage - level 9/12 - equipped with Dakon's Zerth blade, Celestial fury, robe of vecna, ring of gaxx, cloak of sewers, and boot of speeds.
Devarabiel - elven fighter/thief - level 10/11 - equipped with flame tounge, cloak of none detection, and some thief-equipment.
Lovyan - ranger/cleric- level 9/11 - equipped with mace of disruption(the improved one, shield of balduran, ring of gaxx, ring of earth elementals (ac -12)

To be able to beat the guys in the twisted rune, I had to prepare myself very carefully. I let Jill and Sligyn throw some stoneskins on themselves, and a little other protections. Devarabiel set two traps where the lich would be (the third trap failed), and Lovyan casted protection from evil 10radius, true seeing and 2 glyph wards to the place where Vaxall (eye-monster) would be. Sligyn hasted everybody, and Jill casted improved invisibility on Devarabiel. Now the fight begins.

Devarabiel had to stay put so that he could backstab the lich (Shangular), while Jill an Sligyn ran away to the right corner. I placed Lovyan in the middle, so that she could detect illusions, and use her shield of balduran against Vaxall. Quickly, I let Sligyn cast Death fog to the place where the mage (with the staff of magi) would be, and let Jill cast ice storm. After that I shouldn't have to worry about the mage anymore, because she would then have a lot of casting failures. The big problem was the vampire (Shyrissa). If I was lucky, no one would be dominated (didn't have any slots left for chaotic command), but she could still level drain your party members. Jill and Sligyn had to take care of Shyrissa, and they had to retreat to the corner, so that Vaxall wouldn't disturb them. When Shyrissa is dead, then Vaxall, the mage, Revanek (the thief), and Shangalar is still left. The mage sometimes manages to cast a spell (meteor storm or mace), and Shangalar cast all kinds of spells, if he is not dead already. Vaxall, can kill you if you miss a saving throw, so this tactic isn't exactly fullproof.

I played with this tactic 3 times, and I killed them all 2 times out of 3. The first time, everybody survived unharmed, the second time they were helpless, and the third time, Devaberiel died while the others survived.