Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2001, 01:40 AM   #11
Lukas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My first CRPG ever was the venerable Ultima 4. However I got stuck right at the very end, just before viewing the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom as I couldn't figure out the password to get into the room where the Codex was located...

It had great atmosphere, and the mind supplied whatever graphics you required...

I also did Bard's Tale I to III (memories of laboriously mapping every square come to mind), Ultima 5 & 6. I also did Magic Candle which was quite good.

My favourites - Ultima 4 (great departure from the stock format of going after the Big Bad Guy at the end of the game), Ultima 5 (I liked the darker theme), and Magic Candle.

I did not like the Wizardry series - too much hack n' slash. Puzzles were pretty obtuse too in W7.

Enjoyed the M&M series, but the latest in the series are pretty unimaginative. Kinda boring, actually.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:49 AM   #12
turbovee
Elminster

My first computer RPG was the D&D game Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Sega Genesis. My first PC game was the first forgotten realms game can't remember the name though.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:52 AM   #13
Sylent

I am pretty much the same as Accord, I played BG1 first, coz Diablo aint role-playing...
but actually Fallout2 introduced me to the role-playing theme, although it was a different style. The fact that BG1 was made by Black Isle, inspired me to buy it.
I am afraid my early computer gaming days were spent on platform games like Duke Nukem... mindless fun

Just a question for the older members here:
I bought Might and Magic six, but didn't play it much, because I didnt like the style much. Were the earlier M&M games any good?
From the sounds of it, some of you played them.

Old 02-01-2001, 02:19 AM   #14
barbucha

My first RPG was Lands of Lore 1.

Old 02-01-2001, 03:02 AM   #15
The X
Dungeon Master

Sylent, I gotta agree w/ U that Might & Magic 6 's rather boring.
I can't really say any different for the later two 7 & 8.

I started out with Might & Magic 2:Gates To Another World and it being my first RPG, I truly enjoyed the adventure accompanying the game plot. No doubt poor graphics(Hey c'mon!its only 12 bit graphics and it was running on the big floppy disc!!)but the plot really kicked me on.

I remember having to time travel 700 yrs back to meet Ancient King Kalohn to aid him in vanquishing the Mega Dragon with the Elemental orbs and doing the Juror's Quests for each classes and a whole lot more! It has the exact game flow that's found in BG2 with each quest or subquest linking to the other.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like playing it again!!
Old 02-01-2001, 03:05 AM   #16
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

The X, I am just curious.....what kind of creature is that on your signature? Actually, what game is it from??
It looks rather......*interesting*.
Old 02-01-2001, 04:11 AM   #17
The X
Dungeon Master

The game is not out yet and if you're to ask me what creature is it...Hell,how should I know?
Sorry. No offence my friend.

Its one of the pics from the Pool Of Radiance link. Take a look yourself(I'm surprised that you guys didn't check it out though.)
Old 02-01-2001, 05:20 AM   #18
draconia

I never played any AD&D games or RPG before until I bought BG over a year ago. Now I am hooked. As soon as I found out there was BG2, I told my husband that I had to have it and I would not take no for an answer.

Old 02-01-2001, 05:52 AM   #19
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I started playing RPG´s about 17 years ago, started with Runequest, Mutant(swedish one) Dungeons and Dragons and Traveller. When I got my computer I started to play Bards Tale didn´t liked it though and since then, well BG1 made me believe in RPG´s on the computer, and Fallout seemed to make the words come true!

Since then i have played most Pen and paper ones and well not that many in computers, I ditched my C64 at the age of 13 so well, and I got my first real PC when I was 23 so well pen and paper ruled my world considering RPG´s.

My first real eyeballing experience came when we lended a cabin me and a couple of friends and played Greyhawk Campaign all the time, just a few hours of sleep and alot of Coca-Col pizza´s, before Kebab where introduced in Sweden, and we were to young to drink coffe...

Ah, thoose times
Old 02-01-2001, 06:32 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The first CRPG I ever played was Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar by Origin Systems. I totally fell in love with that game. That got me hooked onto Bards Tale and Pool of Radiance I.