Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 07-16-2001, 12:52 AM   #1
Darkman

I'm new here so I appologize in advance if this has already been covered a million times. What I want to know is how exactly do you play a Cleric? Since having a Cleric in your party for healing is pretty much manditory, I figure I should probably get some use out of him/her so they aren't just extra baggage that I tolerate only because they can heal. What Cleric spells are useful besides the usual healing stuff and tangle vine? Are they viable in physcial combat besides using sling shots?? I am about halfway through the game with my own created multiplayer party and about the only kills my Cleric gets are the left-overs of the weakest monsters in the game that my fighters and archers didn't quite finish off. That is pathetic! Even my mage who hardly lifts a finger has racked up more than twice as many on the kill count as the priest. Please any Cleric advice you can give or links to Cleric strategy guides would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Darkman
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 06:55 AM   #2
Worm
The Magister

.POSSIBLE SPOILERS
Your probably using viconia I'd bet MMM-HMM. Now in BG 2 my gnomish cleric dual wields a +5 hammer and crom faeyr (Get 25 STR) can summmon deva's has the energy blade spell if you use stuff like command word die (K.O.'s people) You can really make fights easy that's how I killed the TOTSC boss. And in one he rocked also clerics are like a mage/fighter but not multi-classes if you use them right you can have an STRONG charecter who will save your party over and over and over.
------------------
Worm, About as interesting as traveling with an angery cambion.

[This message has been edited by Worm (edited 07-16-2001).]
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:31 AM   #3
Darkman

What is MMM-HMM? Mace & Missile masteries and Hammer & Missle masteries?

I am playing multiplayer with all 6 charcaters self created, so I'm not using Viconia. But this is actually getting rather boring since my 3 fighters are so strong (1 tank, 2 archers with 18 or higher str & dex). I am thinking of starting over in single player this time so I get the NPC interaction thing going on, and more of a challenge as I will need to deal with each NPC's weaknesses. While creating your own party is probably the more efficient way to beat the game, it has definately taken some of the fun out of BG for me. Anyway, I need to learn how to play the Cleric since whatever party I choose to stick with is inevitably going to have a Cleric.

-Darkman
Old 07-16-2001, 12:13 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I have always found clerics to be handy in a fight, especially when armed with the proper equipment.
SPOILER........................................... ...............................
The Cleric I use in my party is armed with the +2 hammer that I got off an evil cleric to the west of Beregost. She also has a +1 sling. My favorite spells that she uses, other than healing are Glypht of Warding, Bless, Defensive Harmony, Chant, entangle, Call Skeletons (that's not what it's called , but that's what it does) and Dispell Magic. I use her for her magical spells almost as much as my mage. She is also my backup frontline fighter, a good long range fighter and a protector for my mage. If and when you move your party over to BG2 the spells get even better! I think you have to play the game through a couple of times to really get an appreciation of just what each class does and how you use them.

I also use herto repell undead. In some cases she will destroy them, but that only comes when your cleric gets to be a lv=7 or so.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?

[This message has been edited by Sir Taliesin (edited 07-16-2001).]
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:44 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Many players utilize Clerics as walking Red Cross Stations. They are much more than that -- MUCH MORE. In the AD&D system which BG1, etc. is designed from the Cleric is purposefully designed to be the second best class in combat, second to the warrior class which includes fighters, paladins, rangers, et. al. They can use melee weapons, missle weapons such as slings with bullets, utilize armor and shields, have decent hit points, use spells and if you employ them right many of their defensive ones can be used offensively, and they can use some wands and many potions. I always quick slotted a Wand of Heavens on my cleric. It is one of the nicest wands in the game that can put some major damage on enemies. I have used both Yeslick and Branwen in my party. Ever see what you can do when 2 Wands of Heaven go off at the same time? It ain't pretty! If you get a chance go to the IWD board and look up my inquiry on Clerics in that game. It will give you a greater appreciation for this class. By the way, if you haven't yet, insatll Tales of the Sword Coast. It raises the xp. cap and it gives an extra weapon slot for the Cleric. By the way, go ahead and play with NPCs. You'll like it!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 08:53 PM   #6
Darkman

That was a good thread on the Icewind Dale forum! Almost makes me wanna go start up a Cleric! Well... almost But thanks for the link, Albromor. It was very helpful.

BTW, here is the thread in question in case someone doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about.

http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/No...ML/001095.html

-Darkman
Old 07-18-2001, 02:27 AM   #7
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

I was thinking of making my character next time a cleric as I couldn't see any significant disadvantages and this has just solidified my opinion (I could find at least one major disadvantage in every other class except fighter. When I thought fighter though, I thought "BORING!!!" ). Next time, I go cleric!

-Jafin

------------------

I am Jafin, arch-mage of the HADB clan!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 10:29 AM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

You're very welcome, Darkman. And, Jafin, let us know how your cleric makes out.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote