Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 10:42 AM   #81
Sir_Tainly

Hi Ramon,

You can talk about strangely spelt place names, COL-OG-KNEE!

My father actually spent some time in Koln (whats the code for an umlaut?), but he always claims he ended up learning German with a regional dialect. Is it true that Koln has a strong accent?

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-02-2001, 10:59 AM   #82
Hesperex

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hesperex, where is Great Britain ?

Just tried to find the country of Great Britain on the map. Don't exist. Personally I detest with a passion being referred to as British, I also hate seeing blue in the English football teams strip when there's none in our national flag and I despise seeing the Union flag representing ENGLAND at International events. Whilst people instantly recognise a Scot as a Scot or an Irishman as an Irishman it seems the English are too often referred to as British (as opposed to the Scot's etc being labelled British) and it seems to me that the English are fast losing their identity. Christ, the amount of English people that don't even know the date of our own patron Saints day is imho shameful. Anyway, gripe over

I'm an Englishman from England btw.

Point taken, but the reason I said Great Britain was because as you say England is not always recognised, particulary outside of Europe, I am English but I am also British. Britain is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's is the name under which we carved our colonial Empire. Great Britain is a name to be proud of. But I am English and I am very proud to be so, and let no one forget which nation conquerd Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland. Obviously all this conquest talk could get me into a nasty argumant with people from the aformentioned nations, particularly Ireland. I am not advocating conquest I am simply saying it happend, and I am proud of the empire we once had under the flag of Great Britain. Unless you are a football, rugby or cricket supporter you are not likely to recognise the English flag if you are not from either England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or France. The Australian flag has the British flag 'Union Jack' in the corner not the English flag. I know that a lot of Ausies are avid cricket, rugby fans so will no doubt know the English flag but how many Americans can honestly say they would recognise the English flag if they saw it? I know they would recognise the British flag but what about the English.?? or how many Germans would know it?

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.

Old 04-02-2001, 12:31 PM   #83
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Hi Ramon,

You can talk about strangely spelt place names, COL-OG-KNEE!

My father actually spent some time in Koln (whats the code for an umlaut?), but he always claims he ended up learning German with a regional dialect. Is it true that Koln has a strong accent?

Milord, sorry, I don't know the codes for Umlaute as I am using a German keyboard with own keys reserved for Umlaute, but on the "German" thread on the GD forum Cb asked the same question and the incomparable Archbabe Melusine answered and listed some codes/shortcuts. Another possibility is to load other keyboard configurations into Windows and switch to one of these when writing in another language. That is the way I do it whenever I write in Spanish/Catalan/French.

Yes, Cologne has its own regional dialect which is very distinct from official "High German" and in which the locals take much pride, but Western and Nothern German dialects generally tend not to carry over to High German as much as much the Southern ones like Bavarian. But Rhinish people, especially from Cologne, can still often be identified when speaking High German by a certain "melodic" way in their intonation or accentuation. It is called the "Rhinish singsang" - and it sure feels like home for me !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 04-02-2001, 12:52 PM   #84
The Xlord
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyric:
Sweden, land of the Vikings
Oh you bastard!
Sweden land of the Vikings? huh? Thats fake!
Norway is the land of the Vikings! It was the Norwegian Vikings who discovered America, and when the Norwegian raid France and UK you guys was tumbeling around in Russia!!!
Så lenge leve Norge.

The Xlord

------------------
Defender and master of Good archmagic
Homepage: http://www.nwh.itgo.com
Old 04-02-2001, 01:08 PM   #85
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:

Unless you are a football, rugby or cricket supporter you are not likely to recognise the English flag if you are not from either England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or France.
My point exactly, yet the flags of the other four countries are recognisable worldwide. The English flag is imho being lost and our countries name forgotten in favour of the Union name and the Union flag.

Hesperex, I wasn't after a particulars debate. The question was "which country are you from". Not "which Empire".

As is too often the case imho Englands name is ommited in favour of the Empire name.

No offence intended btw.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:09 PM   #86
Hesperex

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
My point exactly, yet the flags of the other four countries are recognisable worldwide. The English flag is imho being lost and our countries name forgotten in favour of the Union name and the Union flag.

Hesperex, I wasn't after a particulars debate. The question was "which country are you from". Not "which Empire".

As is too often the case imho Englands name is ommited in favour of the Empire name.

No offence intended btw.

Yes I agree with you.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.

Old 04-02-2001, 05:18 PM   #87
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Hesperex:

Point taken, but the reason I said Great Britain was because as you say England is not always recognised, particulary outside of Europe, I am English but I am also British. Britain is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's is the name under which we carved our colonial Empire. Great Britain is a name to be proud of. But I am English and I am very proud to be so, and let no one forget which nation conquerd Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland. Obviously all this conquest talk could get me into a nasty argumant with people from the aformentioned nations, particularly Ireland. I am not advocating conquest I am simply saying it happend, and I am proud of the empire we once had under the flag of Great Britain. Unless you are a football, rugby or cricket supporter you are not likely to recognise the English flag if you are not from either England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or France. The Australian flag has the British flag 'Union Jack' in the corner not the English flag. I know that a lot of Ausies are avid cricket, rugby fans so will no doubt know the English flag but how many Americans can honestly say they would recognise the English flag if they saw it? I know they would recognise the British flag but what about the English.?? or how many Germans would know it?

My ancestral roots are British.

Some from different parts of Scotland, some from Northern Ireland, and others from Sheffield in England. British or Anglo-Celtic sums up my heritage.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-02-2001, 06:38 PM   #88
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I'm from south east england or London. It's a nice place there as I'm sure most of you on this forum know since we have this nice visit once in a while.

------------------

Greetings mortals, my name is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:10 PM   #89
PreciousGollum
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I'm originally from a place called Middle Earth,but I doupt anyone has ever heard of it! Anyway,there I was,sneekin' around in the depths below the Misty Mountains,when I stumbles on this portal.My curiosity got the better of me so through it I went and ended up here in this place the locals call England.Unfortunately,the portal was one-way,so now I'm stuck here without my precious!

On the bright side though,I began telling stories about my homeland to some old bloke with a pipe-who said he was a writer and wanted to publish my tales.Now I'm a bit of a celebrity,and with the royalties I'm gettin' off the book sales and the new movie adaptation,I'll soon have enough to forge me a new precious!

One good thing about this place though,no nasty stinkin' hobbits!

------------------
"It hurts us,it hurts us.It freezes,it bites!"
Old 04-02-2001, 09:33 PM   #90
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Charlotte, North Carolina USA May the (American) Football Gods smile on the Panthers this year