Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-09-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Cheesily Patriotic? [img]tongue.gif[/img] If anyone is going to take offence at this then just please leave the thread. Okay? Go... Now.... Still here? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maybe i watch too much tv but are you? In american films, especially action ones, it they all involve amazingly cheesy american patriotics!! In one film, this man ran back into a warzone to collect an american flag, even though he'd probabaly get shot. And, this was one of the worst, in rambo, it was a good film, until the end....

*Starts acting*

"What do you want Rambo!?"

*Ahem*

All i want is for my country to love me.... as much as I love my country...

I mean Pul-ease!!! I know that you can get into some serious trouble for burning an american flag etc, but thats respectable. But is TV just lying to me? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

Not me!

Mark
Old 06-09-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
MagiK

It may be cheese when seen on TV, but I know that such shows of bravery and patriotism along with devotion to country do exist in real life.

Im not taking offense, just telling you, that when you have your life on the line, the symbols and thoughts behind them are HUGELY important...at least to me and to others who served with me.

I'll tell you something...when I watch shows like band of brothers, or saving private ryan...and I see the courage and conviction of the men who serve (or more accurately the portreyal of those things and people), I get rather emmotional and teary eyed...its something that is near and dear to me and I will not worry about appearing cheesey or wimpy or whatever. I cherish Duty, Honor and Courage. The display of those concepts move me deeply.

Well there you have one persons opinion.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Hello!

Find me an American that can speak for all americans and I'll show you the biggest liar in the world!

That said...dude! you guys have men with Q-tips on their heads guarding an old woman who has nothing in her purse! Yeah! We are proud to let Sly speak for all of us !
Old 06-09-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

*Not an American but entering this interesting thread*

IMHO there's nothing wrong with some positive patriotism.
Some years ago a read a scintific study divinding between "good patriotism" and "bad patriotism".

Good patriotism basically is "I love my country (and therefore my fellow countrymen) and want to do everything to make living here better. I'm proud if the achievements of my country (of the inhabitants of my country) and its contribution to a better world". The Rambo quote fits here nicely.

Bad patriotism basically says: "My country is better than yours!"

The study also stated that the US and France were the countries with the highest rating of "bad patriotism" while Germany was the lowest. However in Germany "good patriotism" is also very low as patriotism in general.

Yet you can also watch extremely exaggerated display of patriotism in Indian films for example. Patriotism is an important ingredient in the glue that keeps huge countries together. If US citizens were not proud of their country where would be the sense in keeping the states together when economical and geographical differences between Nebraska and Florida are more than obvious.

[ 06-09-2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Faceman ]
Old 06-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, but I can't make it through the anthem at a baseball game without getting misty-eyed. Before or after 9/11, though moreso after. Judging by the cheers during the anthem at Yanks/Cubs on Saturday at Wrigley Field, I'd say I'm not alone.

The flag on the battlefield is an interesting thing. Our servicemen can correct me if I'm wrong, but the military DOES NOT abandon a flag on the battlefield. It is a matter of pride. Note this is how Sam Jackson gets into his debacle in the movie "Rules of Engagement." They cannot leave the embassy until they climb to the roof and take the flag. Our soldiers DO NOT let it fall into enemy hands. Not while they're drawing breath anyway.

Americans may be more patriotic than other countries, but I think the nature of our relationship with our country has a more subtle distinction: identification. We say "we" when "the US government" does something. Folks in Europe don't tend to identify so closely with their governments.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

That definition of "bad patriotism" sounds pretty much like what I know as "nationalism". Do you still have any recollection if in that study there was any scountry where the desirable combination of a high "good patriotism" and a low "bad patriotism" rating could be found?
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 06-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

WOA WOA! I'm not against patriotism! LOL. I'm 100% for it. I'm proud to be english! I just wanted to know if TV over exagerattes everything...
Old 06-09-2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
WOA WOA! I'm not against patriotism! LOL. I'm 100% for it. I'm proud to be english! I just wanted to know if TV over exagerattes everything...
TV exaggerates EVERYTHING! Even the news. On the other hand, good US soldiers tend to display a high level of motivation, dedication, honor, and patriotism. It's in the job desciption you know. Of course, there is a certain percentage of not so good soldiers too. I've seen both. In all ranks. Civilians vary widely too. Our country is young enough where most can still relate with the struggle to found it! We tend to celebrate the Fourth of July with much enthusiasm!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #10
Faceman
Hathor

Patriotism in the armed forces is a different thing. As much as I do not support physical violence IRL (and that includes the military) I understand that you learn a great deal about trusting others and caring for others in the army (and that includes your country - after all the people at home are who you fighting for, right?).