Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Hoorah! Teen cracks iphone lock!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

This kid was able (with the help of his online community) to crack into the new iphone that AT&T has a hold on, and set it up to be able to work on T-Mobile's network. At this time, the iPhone is not for sale outside the US, but with a crack like this, somebody will definately seize the opportunity to make some overseas cash so that another provider other than AT&T can be used.

At this time, AT&T and Apple have not commented. They're probably shocked out of their wits.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: Hoorah! Teen cracks iphone lock!

Oh, it would be really, really shortsighted not to have seen that coming. I doubt human intelligence can ever come up with a code, lock or cipher that cannot be undone with human intelligence. Adding computers to the mix does pretty much nothing, since in this modern world nearly everyone who can afford an iPhone can also get his hands on some calculating power.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Greasel View Post
Oh, it would be really, really shortsighted not to have seen that coming. I doubt human intelligence can ever come up with a code, lock or cipher that cannot be undone with human intelligence. Adding computers to the mix does pretty much nothing, since in this modern world nearly everyone who can afford an iPhone can also get his hands on some calculating power.
And now they can make a movie out of it

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF;1187399
[COLOR=deepskyblue
At this time, AT&T and Apple have not commented. They're probably shocked out of their wits.[/COLOR]
They're probably rounding up the lawyers more like.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sever View Post
Without a doubt. Somehow I think this is going to end very badly for that kid.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Well there is way more to it that what just meets the eye. They feel relatively comfortable due to the fact he posted the entire process on his blog. It took him his entire summer to complete, and no mention of how many iPhones he used. But the tech review states that any miss-step would result in a total loss of product. Also since he *purchased* the product, as with many other laws due to our obtuse society, the manufacturer more than likely will fail to do anything with these laws in place. Additionally, at this time he is not in an attempt to sell or gain monetary value, he just did it. There are hundreds of blogs on the net that give step by step instructions on "How To", heck I have been personally involved with three such articles. His procedure require one to be proficient with "soldering iron" and other small and hand eye coordinated tools.

Furthermore, today's paper says there is a "hack group" that has configured the iPhone through software only. They have managed to utilize European and Asian market carriers to test their 90% results. They *PLAN* to charge for their software code. IMHO, they would be the ones to target, especially once they go monetary!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

And all that for such a shitty phone, that was already outdated by the time of its release?
All this i-phone hullabaloo has shown is how you can generate ridiculous amounts of hype surrounding an okay-ish product, in order to make it the must have item of the moment.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Kid traded his modified Iphone recently for a brand new Nissan 350z and three 8GB unmodified Iphones for his fellow hackers.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Yeah they've already gone after the group who plan to sell it (the crack). You can unlock a phone for personal use but cannot sell the info. or the unlocked phones commercially, apparently. I don't know if him selling his phone to that company is commercial but yes, they are indeed rounding up the lawyers and have almost got a case.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #10
Havock
Dungeon Master

I have give apple credit for at least making it extremely difficult to crack into. Now if only the hype matched up to the product. I can't help but compare the I-phone to Britteny Spears in that respect. Big on hype and shot on delivery

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote