Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

I have to admit that this video made me goosebumps all over - I just wanted to know if others are waiting as much as I am for this promising pearl of a game?

Apparently we will get: Dual wielding, finishing moves, new and vastly improved HUD and more professions to choose from.
Questing will also be allocated by the game engine by the choices you make - i.e. if you drop a sword to fee inventory a boy make pick it up to deliver it to its original owner thus starting a quest for you - or if you are a mage - then mage-specific quests will open.

Oh and forget about "the being mage-part" cause you don't pick a class - you just choos the skills you wanna use as you level up so I s´pose you could end up as a sword wielding mage using a bow...though it probably wouldn't be a good combo.

"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

Seems to be a Viking/Norse theme to it as oppoed to Oblivion with its kinda Greece/Rome elements. Looks interesting, but I have long since learned that these games are not worth the hardware upgrades. Most likely will play it on console, if even. Hope the combat engine is totally ravamped and not 1st person although I doubt this will happen.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

It will....they say in the reviews so far from IGN and Gamespot that the 3rd person is being altered to something far better - and the 1st person should be improved immensely to include shock from being hit, staggering from heavy blows and it should be like a live cam.

ofc I will need to see more before making any final judgments - but I am sold so far.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Seems to be a Viking/Norse theme to it as oppoed to Oblivion with its kinda Greece/Rome elements. Looks interesting, but I have long since learned that these games are not worth the hardware upgrades. Most likely will play it on console, if even. Hope the combat engine is totally ravamped and not 1st person although I doubt this will happen.
Well, Skyrim is the native land of the Nords race, where Oblivion took place in the homeland of the Imperials. Now, I need to go get a job that pays well enough to buy a new up to date computer system. I'm working on a 7 year old HP pavilion with Vista right now. It can barely handle Oblivion.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Well, Skyrim is the native land of the Nords race, where Oblivion took place in the homeland of the Imperials. Now, I need to go get a job that pays well enough to buy a new up to date computer system. I'm working on a 7 year old HP pavilion with Vista right now. It can barely handle Oblivion.
Get a 2nd-hand Xbox imo. Way cheaper than upgrading for the kind of system you'd need to run this fluidly, on a PC. Very few RPG's are PC-exclusive nowadays and since PC-gaming in general has essentially dried up in the wake of innovative consoles, you'd basically be getting a brand new rig for one game.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I was considering the possibility of a 360. I've always felt more in control on FPS games with a mouse and keyboard though. Still... A console also means I don't have to always be sitting up to play.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Also looking forward to this. Only problem is you have to kill the dragons...
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Light Bulb Re: Bethesda doing it again on Nov.11th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
I was considering the possibility of a 360. I've always felt more in control on FPS games with a mouse and keyboard though. Still... A console also means I don't have to always be sitting up to play.
Oh I hear you, i'm the same way. I held out against the reality for a time, waited as the games I wanted to play (such as Fable 2/3 or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions) skipped the PC platform entirely and went directly to consoles. My thinking was, "What good is a monster rig when I got no games to play on it?". Is it really feasible to keep upgrading to the latest and greatest when consoles don't need to be "upgraded" for years, and cost less in the first place? No. In fact, nowadays, it's almost insane.

I also note that everything I have recently played on my PC (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Bioshock 2) is also available on console already, but minus the hassle of worrying about keeping my SLI video setup current, how many cores I have, or how much ram, do I have a PSU to support it all, will it work on this OS etc - not to mention updating drivers and firmware and getting ample cooling. Alas, things are just easier on consoles now. And whether I like it or not, that's the way the wind is blowing. Almost everything is released there first and ported to PC later. I can replay my old favourites on a mid-range or low-end rig.

Don't get me wrong. I haven't thrown out my PC in favor of consoles only. I just have both now and wholly advocate them, whereis beforehand I did not. The difference now is, I usually build a mid-range PC and use it for games that are exclusive to PC. The only ones that I have played this year are WoW and Civ 5. And both of these are not hardware intensive and can be run on low-end PC's with no problems. So basically, once you keep a mid range system around you'll be fine. I could play both WoW and Civ on my laptop if I wanted. My current rig can still run most games save for the very newest and demanding titles - but because I am done investing into it now and just pick up the game for my console instead. If and when I check out Skyrim, I will be doing so on an Xbox, rather than wrestling with FPS and quad core optimization on my PC.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 03-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Hooray Skyrim, The land of the nords. Which means I be playing with land filled with snow and winter...

While I'm happy with the news. It also means I will have to upgrade my pc as I always upgrade my pc whenever a new TES title hit the market. However the thought of having to drag my sorry arse into computer shops and looking for the best pc deals is feeling me with dread. I just feel too old to do those kind of stuff...

Either that or I can play the game with min/lowest setting with my 3 year old computer. Oh joy!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I got myself a quad core 3.0 ghz with 8 GB ram 3 years ago - it should still be able to do the work with Skyrim though I may have to swap the graph.card to a new one using a Nvidia 260 at the moment with 1 gb ram - everything is running smoothly though DA2 could not use the texture pack as the card did not support it.

on a related note:
For TES gamers...

I am starting a playthrough of Oblivion now ( never finished it as I am an avid restarter ) but being sick at home is boring so now it has to be done. Thus...a few questions

1. Do I need to be a specific level to enter the Nibbern door to do shivering Isles?
2. I am playing stealth mode on this run ( so sneaking and taking out mobs with a bow from a distance - is a dagger preferred to close up sneak kills or does the game not react between sword and dagger ?
3. What is the secret of lockpicking manually? ( normally I just use auto pick but it sure does wreck havoc on my stash of lockpicks )
4. Varlastone and weyd stones --> it says you can use them to recharge magical weapons - but how do I do this?

"Unleash the Casey!"