Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay, I'm going to start a new game and I'm trying to figure out what my character should be. I played a monk/mage in NWN and really enjoyed it, but I know you can't dual-class a monk in BGII. Which would be more fun and offer the most variety: a monk, a kensai or a kensai/mage? If I go with the latter, I know I have to put some good stats in strength and intelligence. Anything else? Constitution? Thanks!
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Kensai/Mage is hella fun, solo it to become UBER or do it in a group for the NPC interaction. Monk is a wee bit boring, Kensai is pretty much a flank fighter.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
VhaalintheAssassin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The cool thing is that although multi-classes require more responsibility of high attributes, there are magical items early in the game that boost them to 18-19 (such as Girdle of Strength, etc.). So, when you're designing your character, and distributing points, just keep some attributes kind of low, knowing you'll get items to boost them soon enough anyway--heh, heh...Only downfall I can think of is that creating a character with low points causes lower bonuses, spells, etc., so you get set back in that sense...
Old 06-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree on the monk part. I've been running a monk on and off for about 2 or 3 months now, and the fun kinda got drained early on. I'm still looking forward to monk bonuses from ToB, but basically, I need to have Korgan cover all the fights for now. The monk starts off extremely weak and then suddenly becomes extremely powerful. I'd rather have some gradual advancement. Go for the kensai/mage.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Or, if you're into having more spells, Cleric/Mage multiclass.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay then, guess I'll try to kensai/mage to mix things up a bit. I've been a full mage once and a ranger/cleric (I think) once. This will be new.

Any thoughts on which weapons I should excel in?
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Klutz
Manshoon

Katanas and/or Flails are the better Kensai/Mage weapons, usually dual-wielded. But Kensai/Mages are pretty disgusting with just about anything. Quarterstaff is a pretty good choice too. Since they are so flexible weapon-wise what you might want to do is figure out what the rest of your party will be using, and pick something that they aren't.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay, I went with a lawful good kensai, intending the dual class him to a mage at level 13. Now I need to figure out the rest of my party. This is what I've decided on for sure so far:

- Jaheira (romance, never played whole game with her)
- Jan (he cracks me up and I find Imoen and Nalia annoying)
- Mazzy (great tank, and I just plain like her)

Now, what about the others? This is what I was thinking:

- Viconia (need a cleric, but will she clash too much with me?)
- Aerie (if I don't pick Viconia, will need a cleric and Anomen bugs me sometimes, but I'm willing to go with him)
- Keldorn (like him, but if I keep Viconia, I think there's a problem, right?)
- Valygar
- Minsc

Any suggestions beyond these? I've used Valygar, Keldon, Aerie, Mazzy, Imoen, you know who in ToB (don't want to give away), Anomen, and Minsc in previous games. My last romance was with Aerie and before that, when I played a female NPC, Anomen. I don't mind using someone I've tried before, but am not sure who would work best. Any ideas? I'm wondering if I should go with Aerie and Keldorn. She becomes a great mage/cleric, and he has choice of great weapons. Yes, no?

[ 06-14-2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Shotgun ]
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

You forget Haer' Dalice

He's a blade, and a good combat caster. Try him, he also has a few funy banters...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
Shotgun
Manshoon

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Haer'Dalis (sp?). Don't know why, just aren't. I've narrowed it down, though. Here are my two party choices, which do you think would be more fun/interesting?

Me (kensai/mage)
Jaheira
Mazzy
Jan
Keldorn
Aerie

or

Me (kensai/mage)
Jaheira
Mazzy
Jan
Viconia
Minsc (who could be switched for you know who in ToB)--too many tanks? Maybe keep Aerie?