Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 06:18 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I just want to say that you all should realize that not everyone that posts messages have facts and figures at the ready to back themselves up. Sometimes things are posted from emotion and are not factual. They are written from how we feel about a subject. Sometimes they are correct sometimes they are not.
If half the posts written during the last few days were read in the spirit or context in which they were meant or read with the concern for the emotional state of the original messages, there would be far less flames, locked threads, and possibly 1 less ban. I'm not saying I disagree (or agree) with any thing that has happened, but I do know that a forum of free thoughts and ideas has not been here.
Everyone has a right to an opinion, whether it is popular or not. Just as I am hurt to see people cheer at our pain, they have that right. How many of us cheered at the bombing and destuction of Iraq in Desert Storm? (I do not want an argument over this!)
I'm sure what I've written may anger some here and have no facts and figures to back myself up. But you really need to gain some tolerance here or this forum may become such a place where a dissident opinion is basically unwelcome and there is no meaningfull discussion. It seems no unpopular thoughts may be expressed without personal attack or demand for clarification (sometimes there is none). Some of us are not as well informed as others, does that give us no right to speak? I know I have been smacked around a little over my views in the past, but I stick around, I usually just let it go and move on. Some here need to learn to let it go and move on.
In closing I'd say I was sorry if this bothers any one, but to be truthful I am not. This is what I believe and I will stand by it.

Thank You
Mark

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 06:34 AM   #2
Vampire

Well I guess we are all not perfect and are subject to our hormones...

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 06:59 AM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:

Everyone has a right to an opinion, whether it is popular or not. Just as I am hurt to see people cheer at our pain, they have that right. How many of us cheered at the bombing and destuction of Iraq in Desert Storm? (I do not want an argument over this!)

[This message has been edited by skywalker (edited 09-14-2001).]
You're so right. Everyone does have a right to an opinion, and to express that opinion. And everyone else has a right to agree with it or not. That is the beauty of debate. That is the beauty of the forum. And if we remember to respect others, whether we agree with them or not, then we can't go far wrong!

I must say, I'm never in favour of anybody cheering at anyone else's pain though! (Maybe I've missed those posts?) But no, there isn't much you can do about it, except make your feelings clear.

Please don't mistake people pointing out cause and effect as 'cheering' though. It isn't. People saying ha ha goody, serves you right, hope they do it again - that's cheering. It stinks.

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 07:01 AM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
You're so right. Everyone does have a right to an opinion, and to express that opinion. And everyone else has a right to agree with it or not. That is the beauty of debate. That is the beauty of the forum. And if we remember to respect others, whether we agree with them or not, then we can't go far wrong!

I must say, I'm never in favour of anybody cheering at anyone else's pain though! (Maybe I've missed those posts?) But no, there isn't much you can do about it, except make your feelings clear.

Please don't mistake people pointing out cause and effect as 'cheering' though. It isn't. People saying ha ha goody, serves you right, hope they do it again - that's cheering. It stinks.

No Silver. There have been no posts (except maybe Jake) on the forum cheering this disaster.

Mark

Old 09-14-2001, 07:11 AM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
No Silver. There have been no posts (except maybe Jake) on the forum cheering this disaster.

Mark

Sorry, Sky... you are obviously referring to the scenes of cheering that were broadcast from the Middle East. Forgive me, I've not been out of my bed long, and my head's a bit muzzy......

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 07:13 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

'sokay!

Notice I didn't attack your misinterpretation of that part of my post!

Mark
Old 09-14-2001, 08:09 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I agree totally. I posted a thread about this yesterday.

Please take skywalker's post in the spirit in which he posted it.

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 08:37 AM   #8
Pangur Ban

i'm glad that the forum seems to be stablizing ... its nice to have a place to retreat to ..

Everyone I have talked at work and elsewhere has explanations and solutions, some even more bizarre that some of the stuff I've read here. I'm running on overload.

I wish the media to stop trying to extract every last bit out the situation. I worry for the effect this will have on children all over the world.

The last time I've lived thru so much worldwide sorrow was when Princess Dianna died, but I have *never* heard so much bitterness, anger, and outright hatred, even from some people I (thought) knew very well. I hope that this is part of their own way of coping with this crisis, and not part of some deeper, darker, instinct that we all have.

A busload of Muslim schoolchildren in Brisbane was pelted with stones yesterday. If you had asked me last week if this sort of thing would happen in "multicultural" Australia, I would have shrugged it off with a laugh.

I don't know if cycles of hate and revenge can ever be broken. For my own sanity and rather shaky piece of mind I'm going to say that yes, there must be a way. I hope that someone can work out what it is - soon.

Pangur Ban

Old 09-14-2001, 10:45 AM   #9
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Who got banned?
Old 09-14-2001, 03:00 PM   #10
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Sorry, Sky... you are obviously referring to the scenes of cheering that were broadcast from the Middle East. Forgive me, I've not been out of my bed long, and my head's a bit muzzy......

The cheering in the streets by various muslim fanatics was not limited to the middleeast, Denmark right now is considering deporting a large number of Afghan refugees who publicly celebrated the attack, there were isolated incidents here in the states that got reported once then were never heard about again on the Television....no there was cheering in many places Tuesday.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.