Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 05:24 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

As said in the title, I'm sorry to say this, but I really think I should share this with you. In the Netherlands we're very emotional about what happened in NY, Washington and Pennsylvania.. We will therefore (just like the rest of Europe) be silent for 3 minutes starting at 12 o clock this afternoon (in 50 minutes).
That's not the reason I'm typing this. In Ede (a small city in the east of Holland) a group of young Maroccans recently celebrated because of the disaster in the US. They think that the act of war against the United States is good..
No one does agree with this, but i just wanted to let you know..

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 05:33 AM   #2
Vampire

It's 3min at 1100 in UK!

------------------
Old 09-14-2001, 05:36 AM   #3
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
It's 3min at 1100 in UK!

How can that be?? Both my watch, the clock here, and the comp is saying it's 11.30 (so 10.30 in England)...

------------------

Link
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 05:36 AM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
As said in the title, I'm sorry to say this, but I really think I should share this with you. In the Netherlands we're very emotional about what happened in NY, Washington and Pennsylvania.. We will therefore (just like the rest of Europe) be silent for 3 minutes starting at 12 o clock this afternoon (in 50 minutes).
That's not the reason I'm typing this. In Ede (a small city in the east of Holland) a group of young Maroccans recently celebrated because of the disaster in the US. They think that the act of war against the United States is good..
No one does agree with this, but i just wanted to let you know..

I've heard the news (have you seen Rondom Tien yesterday Michiel? Good discussion-bad ideas -quite interesting all in all).
I hasten to add that the outrage at their behaviour was universal, and that it was simply a small group of provocative teenagers without a sense of decency at all. This has happened in several countries. I can understand the reaction from a certain p.o.v: they have always reacted in this way to America's misfortunes, they have been brainwashed and indoctrinated from their births on to believe that America is Satan. In that respect, I can imagine the reaction to this, if they haven't seen footage yet. However, the part that is inexusable is their absolute disrespect and neglection of the enormous value of a single human life. If they would have stopped to think about the reality of these horrors, imagined the loss, the pain, the fear, the despair, they shouldn't have reacted in this way! I am disgusted by the disregard of what I thought of as universal values. I've come to realise I've been utterly naive to think there were at least a few things that all people have in common.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 05:37 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
How can that be?? Both my watch, the clock here, and the comp is saying it's 11.30 (so 10.30 in England)...

Doh... he meant that the three minutes' silence will be at 1100 in the UK, not that that's the current time there

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 05:40 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Sorry luv!!

------------------

Link
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 05:42 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Sorry luv!!

's okay
Seen the discussion with the teacher of those kids yesterday though?

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 05:46 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Nope.. I didn't watch Rondom Tien, I just read it in yesterdays news paper.. I though it was outrageous!!!

------------------

Link
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 07:29 AM   #9
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, from one American, let me say that it IS insulting, but I'm going to quit being hurt by it. "Small minds" and all that. If these people can't see the big picture, then they will have to deal with that themselves one day. I'm not even going to get mad anymore. I know they only act that way because that's what's been taught to them. Maybe the next few years will show them differently. One can only hope.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.*
Old 09-14-2001, 10:19 AM   #10
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Thanks to the Netherlands for the support, but that one group can f*ck themselves. I'm not worried about the opinions of mindless idiots like them.

Thanks for posting this Link, but only half of it is bad news. I am sure that there are people here in America somewhere that feel the same as the Maroccans do. There are all kinds in this world, and sometimes you just gotta ignore some of them.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB