Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 07:22 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

In California, a group of Pagans is seeking hate-crime charges brought against a church group for blasting christian music and shouting prayers while they held a public gathering to share Wiccan beliefs and practices.
According to the hate crimes statutes, a person or group can be prosecuted for interfering in religious practice. So is it a hate crime? Or do people have the right to interfere with the practices of others as a right to free speech?
Old 05-02-2002, 05:03 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I would say that it is a hate crime to interrupt a perfectly legal and peaceful pagan gathering with fanatic outcries and attempts to "convert" them. Of course it should be noted that I am quite biased as I am a Wiccan myself.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:16 AM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Is there a link to this story anywhere. It's hard to comment on a situation without knowing all the details.

I don't know the "legal" definition of "hate crime" in California. That term seems a bit strong to me since there was no physical violence.

However, given the information we do have, I agree that the Christians were way out of line. How would they respond if the situation were reversed?

I assume the Wiccans had applied for and received whatever license or permit is required to hold a meeting. If so, then they should definitely be able to take legal action against the group. It may not be a "hate" crime, but it was pretty blatant harassment.

For the purpose of full disclosure, (although most of you probably already know), I am a die-hard Southern Baptist. It's actions like this that create a lot of resentment towards Christianity from non-believers.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:18 AM   #4
Neb

Just a comment, I don't think there's much chance of the situation ever being reversed. It's not part of Wiccan belief to convert "non-believers".
Old 05-02-2002, 05:18 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well I am not biased at all here so I think that yeah, it is a bad thing to disturb someones beliefs since the free speach is also about free religious believes..

The door swings both ways, would churches allow wiccans to come inside during a "mass"?? (sorry donīt know the correct english word here) and shant and disturb their practice??

I think that most religions should have a sit down and talk about their differencies instead of trying to disturb each other.. Havenīt worked out that well the last centuries so.. ease down on the hostility more or less.

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 05-02-2002, 05:21 AM   #6
WOLFGIR

add n to former reply..
See the example as an example only...

Old 05-02-2002, 05:25 AM   #7
Neb

Sorry Wolfie, I should probably do that, but I simply can't imagine Wiccans doing that. I can't even think WHAT they'd chant.... "Do what ye want as long as ye harm none!" "All that you do will be returned to you three-fold!" Heh, for some reason it seems less annoying to me than: "Repent or thou shalt end up in hell! Praise your lord and savior Jesus Christ!"

Actually Wiccans couldn't be telling Christians to do anything that they didn't believe in doing already, the ten commandments tell Christians not to kill, steal or hurt. And I believe that "you reap what you sow" has been mentioned in the Bible somewhere....

Meh, enough of my ramblings.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:05 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OK, I looked up the story on CNN.

This was a public meeting held in a parking lot. It was Spring Equinox ceremony and the Wiccans had invited the public to attend.

Christians showed up and sat on the "outer periphery" praying quietly - at first.

Then, a local pastor (who also happens to be a sheriffs deputy) cranked up the volume on his radio and started blasting "Christian" music as the Wiccans tried to sing "hymns" of thier own (sorry, Neb, probably a poor choice of words there).

Things got more out of hand when the Wiccan's tried to hold a symbolic animal sacrifice (melting a chocolate bunny in a fondue pot). The Christians became extremely belligerant(sp?), circling the high priest and blowing out the sterno flame.

Since it was in a public parking lot, California attorneys say the Crhistians were just exercising their right to free speech, but it's obvious how blatantly disruptive they became.

And, as an example only, they would be pounding the doors of City Hall down if the Wiccans had been so disrespectful during a "public gathering" of Christians.

I still think hate crime might be a bit strong, although the story did change my mind a little on that. But I DO beleive the Christians ought to be subject to some type of legal action (maybe a few dozen hours of community service or such).

BTW, the sheriffs deputy has been suspended pending an investigation.

Here's the link to the story.

Wiccans seek hate crime ruling against Christians

One last sidenote. I noticed that CNN (like all other media sources) incorrectly called the Wiccan religion Paganism. The Wiccan religion is only ONE form of a paganistic religion. Paganism is a TYPE of religion, not the religion itself.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:08 AM   #9
WOLFGIR

Thanks for the clearification Cerek!

I donīt really know much about the hate rule in it self and donīt know if there is another more suitable offense.. :S

Old 05-02-2002, 06:24 AM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

On the one hand, since no assaults took place and (apparently) no threats were issued, I can't see that this is a "hate" crime. On the other hand, if the Wiccans can make the case that they felt threatened then it could fall within the hate crime statue, depending upon how it is interpreted. This is a misdemeanor disturbance for sure, but not necessarily a hate crime (which is a felony). At the very least a formal, public apology would be appropriate.
I hope the Wiccans are successful in their attempt to get the religious practice protections they seek passed from the state legislature. If the protections pass, then everyone benefits.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.