Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-04-2001, 01:04 AM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

About your story ...

There's some background stuff that isn't in the game...

care to share?

Like, the first thing with Smitty and the mystic pen? I KNOW there's gotta be something to that...

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 01:10 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah, yes, RudeDawg!

You see, "Smitty" is a holdover from one of Bradley's other games. He was one of the NPC's in Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990). That was the last of the Wizardry games to be set in the fantasy realm of Llylgamyn, in which the party of adventurers was chasing down a mystic pen that had the power to alter the reality of the universe to whatever you wrote with it. Except that whatever you wrote with it, would come back upon you as a bane, and that curse would last for 120 years.

Recognizing Smitty from the Wizardry game, I incorporated that into my storyline...also had Sylvia, my priestess, hailing from the lost city of Llylgamyn. Sort of a "nod of the head" in tribute to Wizardry, which was truly the background from which Wizards & Warriors came.

I'm spinning some added elements into the storyline, but the main details hold true to the gaming environment.

Thanks for asking!

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-04-2001).]
Old 06-04-2001, 01:19 AM   #3
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Ah, yes, RudeDawg!

You see, "Smitty" is a holdover from one of Bradley's other games. He was one of the NPC's in Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990). That was the last of the Wizardry games to be set in the fantasy realm of Llylgamyn, in which the party of adventurers was chasing down a mystic pen that had the power to alter the reality of the universe to whatever you wrote with it. Except that whatever you wrote with it, would come back upon you as a bane, and that curse would last for 120 years.

Recognizing Smitty from the Wizardry game, I incorporated that into my storyline...also had Sylvia, my priestess, hailing from the lost city of Llylgamyn. Sort of a "nod of the head" in tribute to Wizardry, which was truly the background from which Wizards & Warriors came.

I'm spinning some added elements into the storyline, but the main details hold true to the gaming environment.

Thanks for asking!

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-04-2001).]
Wel, that explains it. I quit playing Wizardry after the 3rd game... I got into other stuff for awhile, and couldn't play as much as I liked...

------------------
Old 06-04-2001, 01:25 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ah..the 6th and 7th games were the best of the series, IMO...the storyline was much deeper than any of the others.

Wizardy 6 was pretty "dark" all the way around...as dark as a classic Gothic horror story, although it had some absolutely hilarious moments. Wizardry 7 (Crusaders of the Dark Savant) was less dark, but was still pretty grim...you have this sense of urgency gnawing at you through the entire game. I have a feeling that Wizardry 8 will be much like that as well.

There were some pretty hilarious moments in Wizardry 7, too, though...like the point where, in order to get out of a certain dungeon, your characters had to get stoned (and I don't mean the "petrified" variety either, heheh). You were even provided a pipe and a "mystical substance". It was a hoot! Even after I had done with it, I let my bard carry the pipe around. Why should I deprive him of his fun?

Wizards & Warriors is downright whimsical compared to those games. But, of course, there's Lysandra the vampiress...LOL!

Old 06-04-2001, 01:35 AM   #5
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

When did Wizardry 6 & 7 come out ? What years ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 06-04-2001).]
Old 06-04-2001, 01:48 AM   #6
arion windrider
Red Wizard of Thay

i cant believe wizardry is still around i remember when it was competing against ultima

------------------
Swordmaster to the King of Riva.. ALL HAIL TO BELGARION KING OF RIVA
Old 06-04-2001, 01:54 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Wizardry 6 was released in 1990, and Wizardry 7 was released in 1992. It's been almost 9 years since the last Wizardry, which is why so many of us are waiting so fervently for Wizardry 8.

Old 06-04-2001, 01:54 AM   #8
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by arion windrider:
i cant believe wizardry is still around i remember when it was competing against ultima

That's why I want to know when W 6 & 7 came out. In the early 90's I was working for Origin, and was PURE Ultima playin...

------------------