Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-02-2001, 08:43 AM   #11
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:

i somehow believe that no man is an island indeed....

Unless his name is Prince Edward..............

------------------
Regards

Mouse
Old 06-02-2001, 12:02 PM   #12
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No Man is an Island
...no man is an island, entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's
or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me,
for I am involved in mankind,
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.

John Donne (1572-1631)

This is the poem from which that quote was taken as well as some others you may be familiar with.

I do believe that is statement is true. No one stands separate and apart unto themselves. We are all interconnected in all aspects of our lives. We can break it down and look at these aspects individually.

Physically we are dependent on others. None of us sprang fully formed from our father's forehead as Athena. Particularly as children, we are dependent on and connected to others. I suppose one could make the argument that a hermit is an island, but initially in his life he was not. We truely count on each other for our physical lives at least when we are young.

Emotionally, studies have found that children who do not received emotional bonding become mentally ill. We are dependent on each other for our emotional health. Without the emotional contact with others, psychosis can insue. That alone would indicate the need for others to relate to and with us.

Spiritually, the very nature of sprituality is to be connected to something greater than ourselves.

So, in conclusion, I would say that it is an impossibility for one to be an island. Therefore, I suppose the point is moot, since I do no believe that it is possible.

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-02-2001, 01:48 PM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

then tell me this...

why havent i become mentally ill yet??

why?

i should be...

can you give me a reason?

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-02-2001, 02:03 PM   #14
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Ryan, you aren't because you are do have contact with others. The friends you have told me about, you and I talk all the time. You do have emotional support even if you don't realize it.

------------------
O_H_F

Old 06-02-2001, 02:04 PM   #15
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
then tell me this...

why havent i become mentally ill yet??

why?

i should be...

can you give me a reason?

Bahamut,

As Charean alerady pointed out, the fact that you post here is keeping you from isolating yourself. The act of isolation LEADS to problems. Notice I said ISOLATION and not loneliness or keeping yorself in a small group. Isolation is cutting EVERYONE out.

I've hinted at it before, but I'll give you a glimpse into my past. in 1998, I lost my mother to cancer. I had fought by her side for 2 years trying to keep her alive, and when she died, I blamed myself. It took awhile, but after a year of sliding into a depressive state and not looking for help, I finally broke down.

I had spent that year cutting off ties with friends, family, and assosiates. I would lock myself in a tiny one room apartment, and sleep. ALL THE TIME. When I awoke, I would watch SouthPark on my computer. I wouldn't answer the door when frineds came by. I wouldn't answer the phone.

One day I went to work, and found out that I had been missing for 4 days. In order to keep my job, I had to check myself into a hospital, and go into counseling. It didn't matter, I was asked to leave the position shortly after.

I got better, (I am , really ) but it has taken awhile. Thank god and my friends, I wasn't allowed to isolate myself again. IRL, one of my friends (known as Bourbon on the board) kept me sane. Now, I can go on with my life.

While in couseling, I learned alot about the dangers of isolation. It is a sign of danger, and a self-fulfilling prophecy. As we turn inward because we think we have a problem, we cut ourself off from the things that can help us. The scary thing, is I was functioning, while isolating myself inwardly. There are those who cut themselves off completely.

In technicla terms, all sociopaths are introverts, and have cut themselves off from others by believing that they are "different", the rules of humanity don't apply to them.

It doen't mean that everyone who pulls away is sociopathic, but it IS interesting that every sociopath who has been interviewed shows extreme signs of the emotional introversion that we are discussing.

These are extreme examples, but I'm trying to make a point.

Humans are herd animals. There's nothing wrong wth that, nor with seeking some "alone-time" to sort things out. But, we are made to seek others. :shrug:

For better or worse, you are stuck with us....

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 02:13 PM   #16
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yes... i understand now.

no man is an island

why?

what moiraine said to me was also right

people who have no contacts whatsoever are indeed static, or dont evolve(hope i got that right). anyways, meaning, i evolve.

i havethe mere pleasure of thinking thoughts and arming myself with it. therefore, i evolve.

as for the loneliness state, it is indeed lonely coz thats how i reacted to it. with my actions that i know will pay off sometime in the near future, sacrifices communication, and the result is, i am lonely.

but this means that i am not an island, because of the mere fact, again, that i have the pleasure of studying other people, and get something from them, and use it to my advantage... therefore, i evolve

bingo, case solved

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM ...wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-02-2001, 02:16 PM   #17
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Very good.

now, go write a poem about it...

They say that a poet who can no longer write, does go insane...

I had quit writing during my period of darkness... don't do that to yourself.

------------------
Old 06-02-2001, 02:26 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RudeDawg:
They say that a poet who can no longer write, does go insane...

I had quit writing during my period of darkness... don't do that to yourself.

RudeDawg, one of my favorite lines from Wizardry 7 was "When mortal men cease to dream, they walk forevermore the land of the living dead." Pretty strong stuff. I think that applies to your "poet" thing as well.

Bahamut, I'm glad you realize the connectiveness of all humanity, whether or not you can feel it right now. I think we all feel "dissociated" at some point or another. It does pass. Talking things out, even here on this board, can help. It also helps to leave the house and go somewhere, even to the store. I have to remind myself to do that sometimes as well!

Old 06-02-2001, 02:27 PM   #19
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

the poem thing started when i was down.. thank god!

just wrote a few poems ealier this evening, ill post them tomorrow!

------------------

Old 06-02-2001, 02:30 PM   #20
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
RudeDawg, one of my favorite lines from Wizardry 7 was "When mortal men cease to dream, they walk forevermore the land of the living dead." Pretty strong stuff. I think that applies to your "poet" thing as well.

Sazerac, did you ever read the Sandman comics (the ones by Neil Gaiman) Some of the earlier issues had him delivering justice by trapping people in dreams, or by KEEPING them from dreaming. Those who can no longer dream, are doomed to a lifetime of walking in a half-dream state, where they can no longer control themselves or their environment.... scary stuff

------------------