Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #11
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Did I read correctly that Old Bear, Commander of the night watch is or was a Dragon.</font>
Not quite sure what you mean there, I don't recall anything like that.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You're in for a treak, Pritchke - you will really enjoy this series. At least till you get to the end of A Feast For Crows. Then you'll be waiting for the next one like the rest of us. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by pritchke:
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Did I read correctly that Old Bear, Commander of the night watch is or was a Dragon.</font>
Not quite sure what you mean there, I don't recall anything like that. </font>[/QUOTE]Old Bear wasn't a dragon, he was a bear. Read on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shadowhound:
Not quite sure what you mean there, I don't recall anything like that. </font>[/QUOTE]Old Bear wasn't a dragon, he was a bear. Read on. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Yes, it was the old blind master, the who is probably Old Nan's age, I got mixed up with the two since they are both old farts. I am about quarter way into the second book now. Very interesting thus far with several unique new characters. King Roberts Bastard son escaped the massacre of Roberts true children. The one whom Eddard Stark met with in the smitty. It took awhile to click in but the polishing of the helmet gave it away. All storylines have been interesting thus far especially Tyrion since he is the new hand, and the King's reaction should be funny, but as clever has Tyrion is he is thredding dangerously.</font>

[ 02-12-2007, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
Thoran
Galvatron

hehe... it's cool reading folks comments as they go through the early books for the first time.

I'm just finishing up Crow... I've taken my time since I know I'll be waiting for the next book... Martin is a master.

GRRM indicated in his writings that he split Crows so that he could get us SOMETHING, but that main characters missing in this book were moved to the next. It's struck me that this is a very effective plot device (one that's not used often in Fantasy since Tolkien did it... the true master). He's effectively leveraged the fact that we don't know where Tyrion, the little queen and her dragons, a couple of the Starks are... we hear rumors just like the characters in the book are hearing them "Dragons in the free cities", "Woman who can't be killed leading rebels", "Noises in the walls", etc...

Damn he's good.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
pritchke

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">I must say I really like Theon Greyjoy's sister , she is the type my mother warned me about, but as great appeal. Also saw that Lord Greyjoy's plan to attack the Starks coming, land not defended best strategic opportunity there. I expect he will take quit a bit of land and eventually lose it due to a wildling attack, making it easy for Bran or Rob to take back. I don't expect the Black to be able to hold off the wildling attack, well maybe if they stayed on the wall instead of wandering into the haunted forest, makes for good reading though.</font>

[ 03-01-2007, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
Thoran
Galvatron

hehe... not a bad theory. I remember those books being infuriating because just when you were REALLY getting into one characters story he'd switch to someone else... then you'd get into THAT character and he'd switch again, a good sort of frustration but it made me growl on a couple occasions.

Regarding your earlier note about Tyrion... he's one of my favorites and sadly is only rumored about in the last book, but HE'LL BE BACK!

The other very cool thing about the last book is Martins expanding use of Prophecy, great read!
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #18
pritchke

<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Greyjoy has taken Winterfell Bummer!! But the Arya the evil or smart little girl captured a castle of her own at age 10. Wasn't expecting her to name the assassin to kill himself but pretty cool how she got him to help her. She must have paid close attention to some of Old Nans stories.

One of the things I like about the book is there is very little magic and sorcery but it is there from time to time. Like how the red priest gives birth to Lord Stannis Shadow to assassinate his enemies. I really liked Renly as well he would have made a good king bummer that his brother shadow killed him.</font>

[ 03-17-2007, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Like how the red priest gives birth to Lord Stannis Shadow to assassinate his enemies. I really liked Renly as well he would have made a good king bummer that his brother shadow killed him.</font>
I think you mean the Red Lady, Melisandre gave birth to the shadow. Not the Red Priest Thoros. Renly was flamboyant and well liked but I dont know if he would have been that good of a king.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">Like how the red priest gives birth to Lord Stannis Shadow to assassinate his enemies. I really liked Renly as well he would have made a good king bummer that his brother shadow killed him.</font>
I think you mean the Red Lady, Melisandre gave birth to the shadow. Not the Red Priest Thoros. Renly was flamboyant and well liked but I dont know if he would have been that good of a king. </font>[/QUOTE]<font face="Verdana" size="3" color="#009999">I meant priestess but yes that is who I meant. I almost had hart failure thinking Bran and Ricken were killed. Davos looks like he might be toast, pretty good lake battle but I am now wondering if there will be any survivors. I would give that battle to the Lannisters even though it looks like both fleets are lost at this point the Lannisters had the much weaker fleet which was a sacrificial decoy.</font>