Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Zebodog

I decided to take the plunge and am no running Ubuntu. I dual boot into XP Pro for games occasionally, but everything else is Ubuntu.

Ubuntu recognizes system time correctly, but when I boot from Ubuntu to XP, XP thinks I'm 6 hours ahead. If I change and then reboot back to XP, it's fine and when I cold boot to XP it's okay as well.

WTF? Help...
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well that is the wierdest Linux problem I've ever heard...
Old 04-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Zebodog

Since XP pulls it's time from System BIOS, I'm a little concerned.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Old 04-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I've had similar issues with XP keeping time, then I found that the simplest answer was the right one.

right click the time on your desktop. click adjust time/date, click timezones tab. Make sure the appropriate one is selected for your area. If the time zone is right and your time is still wrong, sorry can't help there.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It's a known issue.

Basically, Linux by default sets the clock to GMT by default and then adjusts the time as per your preferences. Windows on the other hand just takes the BIOS clock as your local time full stop.

Combining the two approaches leads to what you're experiencing.

(and IIRC you get a strong recommendation in the Ubuntu installer to pick what I'm about to tell you )

Anyhoo, it's far easier to fix it at the Linux end of things:

Simply have a look inside /etc/default/rcS and check that you have this:

Quote:
UTC=no
I suspect you're set to 'yes' at the moment so you'll need to change it. (eg at a console type sudo gedit /etc/default/rcS)

Hope that helps [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Found this decent explanation:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the standards about the UTC setting are different in the Windows and the Unix world. Windows interprets the system clock as local time, Unix by default as UTC. Since the bios is a shared space between all operating systems installed on a computer, it is not possible to talk about a default setting.

At the end of the day this is a matter of the way a machine is being used - the Windows choice is the more natural for personal workstations and departmental servers, the Unix choice makes sense for larger server installations with clients in multiple time zones. In addition, the Windows option is the more intuitive.

A typical PC user (I guess that this also the Ubuntu target group) expects that his or her computer is treating time the same way than watches and cell phones (that is as local time).
[ 04-21-2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ubuntu is Gnome, therefore, do it the common sense way. Place your mouse pointer onto your date/clock, right click the critter, select adjust time, type in password at console, then click select timezone and adjust it to your zone. Issue resolved.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Ubuntu is Gnome, therefore, do it the common sense way. Place your mouse pointer onto your date/clock, right click the critter, select adjust time, type in password at console, then click select timezone and adjust it to your zone. Issue resolved.
Time Zone is set as it should be.

The problem isn't with Ubuntu, it's with WIndows.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Unfortunately there's also an actual bug with how the Ubuntu clock applet handles UTC. Checking or unchecking the UTC box doesn't do diddly-squat for some people which is why I suggested changing it at the console.

So did it work Zebedog?
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Zebo, this does not sound right. Check your BIOS setting then. M$ reads the BIOS to set OS clock. Linux uses GMT time server to set the BIOS clock, then preferences the OS time for setting. I have never experienced this issue before. I run Ubuntu 5.10, with about 65% of the current updates. Their is a kernel that reconfigures my 3-D card, so I have not updated since = well there are 70MB worth of updates I have not touched. Hmm, maybe there lies the issue.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
quote:
Unfortunately there's also an actual bug with how the Ubuntu clock applet handles UTC. Checking or unchecking the UTC box doesn't do diddly-squat for some people which is why I suggested changing it at the console.

So did it work Zebedog?
[/QUOTE]Like a charm! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Thank's to all for their input.

So far, I'm impressed with Ubuntu.