Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
ANYONE can write a story about men, dwarves and elves and battles, but Tolkien takes it to another level - what with the amazing characters and plots. After reading LOTR, does anyone know any other brilliant fantasy novels that match up to Tolkien?
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hello Jaradu! I'm going to move your thread to the Books forum where I'm betting you'll get a lot of discussion on the topic. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'm not as fanatical about Tolkien as most. IMHO I believe his form can sometimes become tedious, spending way too much time on the description of a surrounding area that plays no part whatsoever in the storyline, indeed the characters will neither pause nor stop to rest in this area and move through it in seconds. But all that said, I have read many of his books and the closest to his style I found to be Terry Brooks. For me Brooks is everything I wanted to Tolkien to be, all the good stuff and none of the bad.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
DameonRules
Manshoon

<font color=green>I think that the wheel of time books by robert jordan, are by far better then tolkein. alot of people don't agree with me on that point. also terry goodkind's sword of truth novels are also great novels.</font>
Old 08-26-2003, 06:13 AM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Tolkien all the way...
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:27 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

<font color="gold">David Eddings has some brilliant books, and I actually enjoyed two of his series more than Tolkien. [img]smile.gif[/img] </font>
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 11:43 AM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

Tolkien is in a class by himself, no doubt about that.

Of all the modern writers I'd recommend Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series over all comers.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:08 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

did u know that tolkien actually invented a whole language for orcs? I dont know about u guys but i find that kinda scary!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I did not know that... good thing no one else ever followed his move and created a new language for another fictional race, either. I mean, think how the Klingons would react [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for fantasy books, Steven Brust's "Year" series are enjoyable, as long as the adventures of a magic-using assassin-for-hire with a dragon familiar are of interest... I also like Dave Duncan's series on... sword brothers, I think. Created a whole fictional world and interspersed it with modern-day knowledge, and did it very well, IMHO. The books did not get better as they went along, though... sadly...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #10
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

R.A. Salvatore, 'nuff said...