Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
Of course Albinos dont have brains runnign down their backs and trying to be funny and smart while putting across a serious point doesnt make sense and just makes you look stupid.
All ive tried to do is say, look this is happening, I dont think it's right. Instead all I encounter on these boards is people eagerly trying to eb the first to knock me down, and bring out my mistakes and exploit them to make themselves look better to themselves and other people.
I used to think that these boards were full of nice people, instead all I see is people trying to prove to themselves how good they are by making me feel as im in the wrong. All except 'Epona' have been nice, I didnt ask you to agree, all I asked you to do was look at the issue.
I dont place myself above anyone else's problems be they short, tall, squinted or anythign else. From what was supposed to be just a simple statement about been shown in a negative way im instead looked upon now as an intolerant self-obsessed asshole who puts himself and his condition above other peoples, im not bothered apart from this will no doubt reflect badly upon other people in my condition, making them look that they too are the same as one, if one albino is an asshole, maybe there all self-pittying assholes ey.
The topic has went far off course, so to hell with it, cant say anythign without been challenged to the point of ridicule, just see that it's wrong what Hollywood has done in case of Albinos, then take a look at other things done to portray other people with other conditions badly too, thats all I ask, I dont ask to be given the chance to have to prove myself and what I say, as im not one for liking debate, sorry if this upsets people looking to carry this on further than it already has, I dont liek debating, all I was doing was stating, and I was stating the obvious truth.
Whoaah Sio. You're shooting at an ally. I'm on your side here. Did you even read my post fully? No need for such a response. My point about the Uber-Morlock was that it was NOT depicting an Albino. No more than the mutants in Planet of the Apes are depicting Englishmen or something. He was mutated by life underground, by evolution thousands of years from our own time. Of course they're going to make him look white if he's not seeing any sun. Note - white, alabaster - not pale pink.

It is science fiction.

Are Dwarves and Midgets maligned by Lord of the Rings?

Some latitude has to be given for peoples imaginations.

I supported you on the Jim Carey aspect. In fact, were that the only time albinos have been poorly represented, that would be enough to be justifiably upset about.

Cool off Sio. You have friends here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
Find an Albino who would let their friends call them whitey and we'll talk, hey if I was short fine call me shortass, tall then call me lanky but dont call me 'whitey'. It isnt a simple joke that you can have a laugh about, not a buddy buddy laugh.

Quoted from you...

that is implying that its fine to call me a shortass as a friend if im happy for you to do so, but if i was albino, to call me whitey is not? thats the implication im got, i didnt mean its okay to call me a shortarse in general, course its not [img]tongue.gif[/img] just wondering why your differentiating between someone who is short and someone who is albino?

and your responses are very aggresive to people who are just trying to be either funny or helpful, thats not doing much to help the situation
I've had non-Caucasian friends call me "Red" before now. To Chinese for example, we look red. 'Ang Mo' the name Chinese called Europeans, means 'Red Devil'.

However, I wear glasses. Call me 'four eyes' and you'll have a 'black eye'.

Not passing judgement one way or the other, just throwing my experiences out there.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #33
Sio

Quote:
Find an Albino who would let their friends call them whitey and we'll talk, hey if I was short fine call me shortass, tall then call me lanky but dont call me 'whitey'. It isnt a simple joke that you can have a laugh about, not a buddy buddy laugh.

Quoted from you...

that is implying that its fine to call me a shortass as a friend if im happy for you to do so, but if i was albino, to call me whitey is not? thats the implication im got, i didnt mean its okay to call me a shortarse in general, course its not [img]tongue.gif[/img] just wondering why your differentiating between someone who is short and someone who is albino?

and your responses are very aggresive to people who are just trying to be either funny or helpful, thats not doing much to help the situation
yeh if your mates and its fine for your mate to call you shortass fine, ut people arent abused in the street for been short or tall are they, people dont point and shout, occasionally yes you may find someone will call you it but been short isnt something thats looked upon as weird, or that theres something wrong with you.
And trying to be funny? Hell theres a joke post somewhere around here, this isnt the time or place to be funny.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #34
Sio

Soz Yorick, I admit im getting a bit pent up, btu I dont want to argue, mostly all im seeing though is what I see when I go to the shops, misunderstanding people that think if I make a single moan im been self-pittying, in this case, that if I think Albinos are been shown ina negative way that im just a crybaby pittying.
Hell i dont want pity and dont self-pitty, for a hundred assholes who think theyre cool to make a comment about me theres one person who thinks that my pale features look cool and nice.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:53 AM   #35
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Sio, with all due respect to you and what is very obviously a subject on which you hold passionate views, please try to look beyond your immediate emotional reactions when you reply to other people in this thread. If you review the responses, you will see that they are mostly supportive, with some requests for clarification and a degree of widening of the debate to include the broader issue of stereotyping.

What they do not indicate is any personal mockery of you and your situation. I would like you to consider taking a little more time in composing your responses and to look towards the broader meaning of the other contributors. Nobody is mocking you.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #36
Grungi
Banned User

theres always a time to be funny, i cracked jokes before when in a life threatening situation was trying to lighten the tension, admittedly got told to shutup, so not everyones cup of tea [img]tongue.gif[/img] but humour is meant to make you feel better, and im sorry but that website you posted is humourous in some ways, if you cannot see that posting the simpsons saying about a zombie "he has a chalk face" is NOTHING to do with albinos in any way then your not reading it right, i find it humourous in the extreme that anyone could take that to be a critisism of albinos, sorry thats just me, but i do find that funny, not to mention pretty stupid.

and yes dwarves are abused in the streets frequently, guy down one of my local pubs is a dwarf and he gets alot of it, hes a good bloke though doesnt deserve any of it, so yes being short is just as bad, and gets just as much abuse.

and your last comment is what i been saying all along, it IS cool to be albino, its cool to be you! its cool to be unique and to be yourself thats whats cool and who cares about the retards who think because hollywood depicts some people with white hair and pale faces to be evil that all of em are?

when i was at school me being short was looked at as being something wrong, it was a reason to abuse me constantly and every single day of my young life, so yes it was a problem at the time, now its just funny, yep im a shortarse, so what? call me it all ya want and it just bounces off, why should i care?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #37
Sio

yeh im trying but for instance, Grungi keeps banging on about me saying its ok to called shorty, I havent said that, he's looking at little mistakes in wording I have used and then winding me up about it.
I dont think its right at all to be called, or ridiculed, but because I only said Albinism when starting my post, and not every other kind of condition around he must be thinking I only mean Albinism or something, I dunno, i was just trying to say about ti thats all but he's knowingly stressing em out, making me get annoyed.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:01 AM   #38
Sio

Quote:
theres always a time to be funny, i cracked jokes before when in a life threatening situation was trying to lighten the tension, admittedly got told to shutup, so not everyones cup of tea [img]tongue.gif[/img] but humour is meant to make you feel better, and im sorry but that website you posted is humourous in some ways, if you cannot see that posting the simpsons saying about a zombie "he has a chalk face" is NOTHING to do with albinos in any way then your not reading it right, i find it humourous in the extreme that anyone could take that to be a critisism of albinos, sorry thats just me, but i do find that funny, not to mention pretty stupid.

and yes dwarves are abused in the streets frequently, guy down one of my local pubs is a dwarf and he gets alot of it, hes a good bloke though doesnt deserve any of it, so yes being short is just as bad, and gets just as much abuse.

and your last comment is what i been saying all along, it IS cool to be albino, its cool to be you! its cool to be unique and to be yourself thats whats cool and who cares about the retards who think because hollywood depicts some people with white hair and pale faces to be evil that all of em are?

when i was at school me being short was looked at as being something wrong, it was a reason to abuse me constantly and every single day of my young life, so yes it was a problem at the time, now its just funny, yep im a shortarse, so what? call me it all ya want and it just bounces off, why should i care?
Ok sorry.
Years of non-supporting people, and insults kinda has me on constant edge. I see that people arent trying to have a go, its just most people around do.
So sorry for been agressive, just not used to support
Old 01-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #39
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Guys, remember, in a debate/discussion nobody has to win. Just remember to respect each other's points of view. Below is a short extract from advice I posted elsewhere. Please consider it in the context of this thread.

I would ask that all participants exercise restraint, especially when replying to a post that "pushes their buttons" so to speak. If you really feel enraged by a particular viewpoint, that is absolutely the wrong time to compose a hasty and emotional reply. Stand up, walk about, have a cup of coffee or go for a walk. In fact, do anything rather than start or participate in a flamewar. You are all reasonably intelligent people - use that intelligence to respond in a reasoned and respectful way.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 01-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #40
Grungi
Banned User

not banging on and not trying to wind you up im genuinely curious as to why your differentiating between dwarfism and albinos that was all, not trying to stress you out, trying to help you out, share my viewpoint with you etc.

i got shit on (sorry to say it but i did) repeatedly for years and years and years, at the age of 18 i became a different person and never looked back, basically from when i went to school at 7 i think it was until then i got picked on because i was short (probably because i was the easiest target for it), im using myself as an example for any minority who has ever been picked on or gets a "bad press" because im a better person now and the people that did it? fck em, they are scum, idiotic retarded morons IMO their opinions count for nothing because they know nothing, all of my friends are my friends and know what upsets me and what doesnt, calling me shortarse or making short jokes is fine by me and they all know it, attack my personality and im more likely to get upset. Hence why im banging on about "shortness" just using it as an example, im assuming you had the same kind of thing and your bitter about it too, but what you will tend to find online is most people are more open and more knowledgeable so you dont get the kind of retards that you do in school or in life, thats one thing to be said for the internet, it does tend to weed out people who are "ist" (racist, sexist, religionist, etc) at least on forums like this you wont find it.

me personally i really couldnt care if you were 8 foot tall 10 foot wide and albino with a pigs tail and 5 eyes [img]tongue.gif[/img] (i might run screaming but ya never know [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) i would almost certainly make jokes about it unless i knew they hurt you, as i make jokes about everyone i know equally including myself, if you cant take it dont dish it, i always say. What i find appalling is people like myself and you who then do the same on to other people, ie they get abuse themselves because they are different but then pick on others who are different again, only people i would ever pick on are those who do something to deserve it through a bad attitude or personality.