Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #21
Sio

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I found the Jim Carey films depiction insulting. The Time Machines Uber-Morlock was just another race of human altogether. Unless Albinos have a brain protruding down their backs...

Point taken however. As I said the Jim Carey one is insulting.

WOnderful link though Sio. I did some reading on all of it. Learned some new things. It also got me thinking about Caucasianism as a whole.

Blue eyes are of course a regressive gene, and are more sensative to sunlight than brown eyes. Many caucasians have blonde hair. I wonder how many of us then, have diluted versions of albinism?

Just pondering away. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again Sio. All the best in whatever you do.
Of course Albinos dont have brains runnign down their backs and trying to be funny and smart while putting across a serious point doesnt make sense and just makes you look stupid.
All ive tried to do is say, look this is happening, I dont think it's right. Instead all I encounter on these boards is people eagerly trying to eb the first to knock me down, and bring out my mistakes and exploit them to make themselves look better to themselves and other people.
I used to think that these boards were full of nice people, instead all I see is people trying to prove to themselves how good they are by making me feel as im in the wrong. All except 'Epona' have been nice, I didnt ask you to agree, all I asked you to do was look at the issue.
I dont place myself above anyone else's problems be they short, tall, squinted or anythign else. From what was supposed to be just a simple statement about been shown in a negative way im instead looked upon now as an intolerant self-obsessed asshole who puts himself and his condition above other peoples, im not bothered apart from this will no doubt reflect badly upon other people in my condition, making them look that they too are the same as one, if one albino is an asshole, maybe there all self-pittying assholes ey.
The topic has went far off course, so to hell with it, cant say anythign without been challenged to the point of ridicule, just see that it's wrong what Hollywood has done in case of Albinos, then take a look at other things done to portray other people with other conditions badly too, thats all I ask, I dont ask to be given the chance to have to prove myself and what I say, as im not one for liking debate, sorry if this upsets people looking to carry this on further than it already has, I dont liek debating, all I was doing was stating, and I was stating the obvious truth.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #22
Grungi
Banned User

hmmm see his reactions just prove my point why is it okay for me to be called shortarse but not him to be called whitey (or any albino to be called whitey)

whats the difference between someone who is short, and someone who is albino, for me both are humans and have no difference that i care about, for him one has a major problem that other people insult and the other doesnt? how dare he say that being short isnt as bad, dwarfism (i dont have it no) gets just as much bad attention as albinos do, either way something thats different is something thats different, neither should be picked on, but both are due to ignorant pratts, but friendly joking is always fine if the recipient is happy with it, sio has no right to say that its okay to call someone a shortarse but not to call an albino a whitey if both are happy with it whats wrong? and why are you differentiating and belittling someone elses problem? i bet you havent had over 10 years of daily bullying just cos you were an albino, there wasnt a single day at school where i didnt have some remark aimed at it or some fight because of it, and that was my entire year as well as the one below, so i feel insulted you think your worse off than i was. That kind of attitude affects the cause of the albino far worse than a hollywood film does.

I have been bullied because of being different so i do talk from experience, and my experience through that is, i really couldnt care less if people do it now, its made me thickskinned, and in a way has made me a far better person for it, i look at peoples personalities not their outward looks for making friends and talk to just about anyone most of the time, my height for me personally has never been a problem, when i was younger i blamed it for not having much luck with women, but now i dont care, my personality means im now able to chatup women with ease, nothing to do with my height at all. If your picked on in any way because of your physicalities take the good from it to make yourself a better person, thats the way i look at it, that site just reading it again makes me laugh, its actually giving me a lower opinion of the people who designed it, because they actually believe what they are writing, they are making a big deal out of nothing, Rofl the simpsons one, that is making me laugh again that they even mentioned that.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #23
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
On a somewhat similar note, during the 1940's there was an actor named Rondo Hatton who had acromegaly, which, sinply put, is a disease that distorts the person's features. Universal Pictures used him as a ready made monster in films and titled as "The Creeper"

http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/misc/rondo.html

I think it's pretty sad to exploit physical characteristics. It is bad enough to make actors up as an albino and continually portray them as evil in films, but it's worse if the person really suffers like Rondo and they make him play evil characters.

Mark
I don't know the actual story abot this actor..but mayhap the film industry wasn't using him any more than he was usig them for an income? Perhaps he found a creative use for his disability?

Old 01-09-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
:::SNIP stuff:::... and been part Albino myself this gets me pretty angry.
:::SNIP More Stuff:::
You can be "part" albino? I thought it was like pregnancy, either you are or you aren't [img]smile.gif[/img] The things I learn here.

As for letting hollywood get you down on how they portrey people, just ignore them. For the most part Hollywood is made up of ignorant boobs any way. I know how you feel, because with very few exceptions I cringe at how hollywood makes Military people out to be blood thirsty, incompetant fools all the time to further plot lines.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:19 AM   #25
Grungi
Banned User

stop getting so stressed about it! people look at the site and make their opinions and post them here, you gave them the link, you cant complain because they say things you dont want to hear, if you dont like discussion then dont get involved in it in the first place. Noone has been "not nice" to you, far as i can see everyone is trying to make valid points.

Im not having a go at you, just want you to see how you came across to me.
yorick was not being insulting with his post, its true what he said, he was poking fun at the website, not at you, hes pointing out that the examples its taking are pretty ridiculous and i agree as do most of the others, the website is listing some pretty weak examples to help its cause, that simpsons one and the manga one being other ones of note.

Not one person on here has a problem with albinos or thinks all albinos are evil because hollywood happens to have a few albino villains, your a person just like everyone else and thats the important thing, human beings are human beings, stop worrying about things other people find fault with, and improve the things you can, which is personality and knowledge and as i said before just be happy with who you are, because if you are self-respecting then you really wouldnt care what hollywood depicts....
Old 01-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #26
Sio

Part as in white hair, brown eyes and more than half of my skin pale white while other is of pretty mcuh normal colour.
Sorry but what the hell do yuo think this is, a bloody group, sorry no admission you have brown eyes.
Ok im not a albino then! im a what? you fill it in for me then, becaus ethe jibes I get sure as hell arent given to people that dont have white hair and white skin.
And when the hell did I say Grungi, that its alright for you to be called shortarse! please tell me because i must be bloody schizo cause I cant remember syaing that
Old 01-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #27
Sio

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
if you are self-respecting then you really wouldnt care what hollywood depicts....
Of course I should care what Hollywood depicts, because what Hollywood depicts has a huge impact on people, and some people and kids especially take in a lot of what is shown in a big way
Old 01-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #28
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I found the Jim Carey films depiction insulting. The Time Machines Uber-Morlock was just another race of human altogether. Unless Albinos have a brain protruding down their backs...

Point taken however. As I said the Jim Carey one is insulting.

WOnderful link though Sio. I did some reading on all of it. Learned some new things. It also got me thinking about Caucasianism as a whole.

Blue eyes are of course a regressive gene, and are more sensative to sunlight than brown eyes. Many caucasians have blonde hair. I wonder how many of us then, have diluted versions of albinism?

Just pondering away. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again Sio. All the best in whatever you do.
Of course Albinos dont have brains runnign down their backs and trying to be funny and smart while putting across a serious point doesnt make sense and just makes you look stupid.
All ive tried to do is say, look this is happening, I dont think it's right. Instead all I encounter on these boards is people eagerly trying to eb the first to knock me down, and bring out my mistakes and exploit them to make themselves look better to themselves and other people.
I used to think that these boards were full of nice people, instead all I see is people trying to prove to themselves how good they are by making me feel as im in the wrong. All except 'Epona' have been nice, I didnt ask you to agree, all I asked you to do was look at the issue.
I dont place myself above anyone else's problems be they short, tall, squinted or anythign else. From what was supposed to be just a simple statement about been shown in a negative way im instead looked upon now as an intolerant self-obsessed asshole who puts himself and his condition above other peoples, im not bothered apart from this will no doubt reflect badly upon other people in my condition, making them look that they too are the same as one, if one albino is an asshole, maybe there all self-pittying assholes ey.
The topic has went far off course, so to hell with it, cant say anythign without been challenged to the point of ridicule, just see that it's wrong what Hollywood has done in case of Albinos, then take a look at other things done to portray other people with other conditions badly too, thats all I ask, I dont ask to be given the chance to have to prove myself and what I say, as im not one for liking debate, sorry if this upsets people looking to carry this on further than it already has, I dont liek debating, all I was doing was stating, and I was stating the obvious truth.
[/QUOTE]Sio, I think you're seeing antagonism and mockery where there is none. Most people are just talking about an interesting and heartfelt issue you have brought up. I thought the above post and Grojlach's were actually supporting you.

Did you not want people to discuss this issue? Did you not want input from other who think/experience in a multitude of different ways to you? I think this is a good, interesting and thought provoking thread so far; if that's not what you wanted, why did you post it?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #29
Sio

I said already, I posted it to let people know, i didnt post it to have every aspect of it and myself and thoughts to be under scrutiny
Old 01-09-2003, 08:35 AM   #30
Grungi
Banned User

Find an Albino who would let their friends call them whitey and we'll talk, hey if I was short fine call me shortass, tall then call me lanky but dont call me 'whitey'. It isnt a simple joke that you can have a laugh about, not a buddy buddy laugh.

Quoted from you...

that is implying that its fine to call me a shortass as a friend if im happy for you to do so, but if i was albino, to call me whitey is not? thats the implication im got, i didnt mean its okay to call me a shortarse in general, course its not [img]tongue.gif[/img] just wondering why your differentiating between someone who is short and someone who is albino?

and your responses are very aggresive to people who are just trying to be either funny or helpful, thats not doing much to help the situation