Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-09-2003, 07:03 AM   #11
Sio

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
see if your getting offended by someone who got a bit of bad makeup on then your taking things too seriously and of course you'll get offended by other films, thats being way too overzealous.
It is the fact that it's not realistic, if he's trying to get a serious point over, make a film about Albinism issues then make it real, real issues, put some thought into how we look, not slap someone with white makeup and bring in bloody superpowers
Old 01-09-2003, 07:03 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
Heres the site ====> http://www.lunaeterna.net/popcult/film.htm
To be honest, I think the site is slighty biased. Some of the cases mentioned are a bit far-fetched (the one from the anime movie - come on, does *any* of the anime featured characters ever have any normal colours? What would you call a girl with green hair and orange eyes, then? If there's one rule regarding skin and hair colour in anime movies, then it's "there is no rule" ), and other cases are a bit too much focused on trying to convince the reader that albino's are *always* portrayed in negative movie roles, even if they're not. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are many more albino-featured movies with albino's in much more positive roles, perhaps not that well known. Why not list those as well to give a fairer overview?

I mean, I think you can easily make a similar site with negative movie portrayals of Jews, Muslims, Dutchies, the French, Americans, you name it; and just as easily one to portray them in a positive way. There has been a lot of unfair stereotyping in movies, especially in big Hollywood productions and similar (let's take the early James Bond movies for example, with evil Russian(aligned) villains who are always after blowing things up, sheepy women in need of rescue and falling for James Bond after knowing him for 5 minutes), but there have been just as many movies acting as a counter-weight, to criticise that same stereotyping.
That said, I have to agree that despite the slightly biased listing on that site, there's no denying that several of those movie characters wouldn't exactly help people to accept and understand albino's as they really are, but only widen the gap of mistrust, unfamiliarity and misunderstanding.

[ 01-09-2003, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #13
Sio

Quote:
hmmm your getting worked up at me because i put you in the same light as someone with a bad squint, immediately belittling their situation, why should you get more attention than someone like that? i know someone with a very bad squint and shes a lovely person, but because of it she got hideous bullying and all sorts of problems in life, only just managing to get a fulltime job at the age of 26 , frankly how dare you belittle it, i dont belittle your condition or anyone elses, so you should not do the same to someone you believe to have lesser significance than you.

There are examples in film (check hammer horrors) where the evil people have a bad squint, in the 60s and 70s it was a good way of showing someone was evil, so yes its a very relevant example of the same kind of thing, personally it wouldnt bother me nor does it bother my friend that they show it to be evil, as anyone who actually knows her realises shes not.

it all comes down to people being idiots as usual, if you look to the PERSON and the personality and NOT to their physical characteristics then you'll get on just fine. You cant account for the idiots in this world and they will always always make someone with a difference a target for insults.

but you have managed to make a whole point around your own reaction to it, you now believe your condition of albinism (and correct definition is pink eyes and white skin for a true albino anything else isnt the same thing) is a more significant condition than that of my friend who has a very bad squint (ie noticeable from a reasonable distance when you see her) , might be more obvious by a bit, but its no more important IMO.
yes Albinism is more noticable than a squint, especially when you can spot me a mile down the road. A condition is a condition and a bad squint and albinism are equally important, I didnt say that I think my say on Hollywood about Albinism has more priority over one about squints.
But people with squints arent shown up on film are they, or made to look stupid by been given names that only cause some asshole on the street to think its funny to call you it as well.
If they were shown in a light such as this then of course id be all against it, nobody should have to suffer because of films, and people like the Coen brothers it's fine for them, they have no condition themselves that I know of, so it's easy for the to say abuse equally whent hey wont be at the other end of it.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:10 AM   #14
Sio

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Heres the site ====> http://www.lunaeterna.net/popcult/film.htm
To be honest, I think the site is slighty biased. Some of the cases mentioned are a bit far-fetched (the one from the anime movie - come on, does *any* of the anime featured characters ever have any normal colours? What would you call a girl with green hair and orange eyes, then? And I wouldn't worry too much about sci-fi movies, either; in those movies they're busier trying to introduce new characters who are as different from others as possible, not always directly a sneer towards albino's), and other cases are a bit too much focused on trying to convince the reader that albino's are *always* portrayed in negative movie roles, even if they're not. I'm not 100% sure, but I think there are many more albino-featured movies with albino's in much more positive roles, perhaps not that well known. Why not list those as well to give a fairer overview?

I mean, I think you can easily make a similar site with negative movie portrayals of Jews, Muslims, Dutchies, the French, Americans, you name it; and just as easily one to portray them in a positive way. There has been a lot of unfair stereotyping in movies, especially in big Hollywood productions and similar (let's take the early James Bond movies for example, with evil Russian(aligned) villains who are always after blowing things up, sheepy women in need of rescue and falling for James Bond after knowing him for 5 minutes), but there have been just as many movies acting as a counter-weight, to criticise that same stereotyping.
That said, I have to agree that despite the slightly biased listing on that site, there's no denying that several of those movie characters wouldn't exactly help people to accept and understand albino's as they really are, but only widen the gap of mistrust, unfamiliarity and misunderstanding.
[/QUOTE]******************, I pointed the site out cause it had a few good points, sorry I dint do a disclaimer beforehand stating I found the anime part to be irrelevnat, just to stop people nitpicking at a tiny flaw, for the most part it had good points, but I cant help it if it goes stupid at one point or another

[Webmaster: Watch the Language Sio]

[ 01-09-2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #15
Grungi
Banned User

oh btw you also say no self-respecting person would call themselves whitey with albinism, why not? i have self-respect and as i said before am happy to be called shortarse by my friends, likewise if i was fat (which im heading that way [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) im quite happy to be called fat bastad which by many i play football with im also called, they all have similar type names, its all fun, its all in jest and noone gets offended, but were all adults and all have plenty of self-respect, you can only speak for yourself in respect to that, if an albino has lots of self-respect and confidence and lets his friends call him whitey i wouldnt consider him lacking in anything, id respect him for being sensible enough to know its a term of endearment when used by friends.

Call people what they want to be called, respect the individuals wishes NOT the causes wishes, i bet plenty of albinos really couldnt care less how hollywood portrays them and may well be annoyed to read you saying that "no self-respecting albino would let his friends call him Uv or whitey" what gives you the right to say that for any of them? you saying i dont respect myself because i let my friends call me shortarse? (and pls dont say its a different thing, because its a physical difference from the norm that is picked upon like many others, and after over 10 years of bullying because of it i think i can consider it just as afflicting as your schooldays)
Old 01-09-2003, 07:13 AM   #16
Sio

Quote:
oh btw you also say no self-respecting person would call themselves whitey with albinism, why not? i have self-respect and as i said before am happy to be called shortarse by my friends, likewise if i was fat (which im heading that way [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) im quite happy to be called fat bastad which by many i play football with im also called, they all have similar type names, its all fun, its all in jest and noone gets offended, but were all adults and all have plenty of self-respect, you can only speak for yourself in respect to that, if an albino has lots of self-respect and confidence and lets his friends call him whitey i wouldnt consider him lacking in anything, id respect him for being sensible enough to know its a term of endearment when used by friends.

Call people what they want to be called, respect the individuals wishes NOT the causes wishes, i bet plenty of albinos really couldnt care less how hollywood portrays them and may well be annoyed to read you saying that "no self-respecting albino would let his friends call him Uv or whitey" what gives you the right to say that for any of them? you saying i dont respect myself because i let my friends call me shortarse? (and pls dont say its a different thing, because its a physical difference from the norm that is picked upon like many others, and after over 10 years of bullying because of it i think i can consider it just as afflicting as your schooldays)
Find an Albino who would let their friends call them whitey and we'll talk, hey if I was short fine call me shortass, tall then call me lanky but dont call me 'whitey'. It isnt a simple joke that you can have a laugh about, not a buddy buddy laugh.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:14 AM   #17
Sio

Gotta go get the bus now, lesson is ending so i'll reply in about an hour or so when I get home.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
*************, I pointed the site out cause it had a few good points, sorry I dint do a disclaimer beforehand stating I found the anime part to be irrelevnat, just to stop people nitpicking at a tiny flaw, for the most part it had good points, but I cant help it if it goes stupid at one point or another
No need to reply with such a curse to someone who simply states his opinion in a non-flaming way. He's entitled to that opinion mate, and he expressed it in a polite way, actually agreeing with some of your points.
No matter how strongly you feel about this, I imagine religious folks feel just as strongly about someone using the name of their god that way. Just relax, it's obviously hurtful to you when albinos are mocked, but that doesn't mean people can't give a divergent opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-09-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:25 AM   #19
Grungi
Banned User

u didnt read my post, in the 60s and 70s esp in horror films people with squints WERE villains, squint-eyed bastard is about the most imaginitive insult i think to come out of it admittedly, but my point is its just another thing for people to pick on, there is no person in the world who doesnt have SOMETHING that can give you cause to insult them, whether it be their personality, physical characteristics, religion or whatever, and people WILL insult them, thats human nature, instead of worrying about it and trying to stop it in films and gettign up in arms about it do the more important thing which is be nice to people and prove to them that being an albino has no effect whatsoever on how you treat people, if everyone who is albino does that then you start influencing people because they can say to themselves "well yes i do know an albino guy, and hes a great guy and everyone likes him, so i spose hes just like the rest of us"

i think all this political correctness nonsense and actually going up in arms about it from any group who feels hard done by , achieves nothing but to wind up everyone else, okay maybe im one of the lucky few people in the world who can look at a film and see it as entertainment and not care what happens in it, the film "the patriot" i know plenty of english upset by it because of its terrible depiction of the english at the time, but i proudly display it in my vid collection cos i think its a great film, and who cares that the british in it are a bunch of posing nancies who deserve to get shot [img]tongue.gif[/img] , people take it all too seriously and people let themselves be influenced too much by what hollywood shows.

My view of you currently is your one of those people who has a physical problem of whatever sort and believes it to be more important than others and carries it around with them just to feel sorry for himself, apologies if thats not how you are, but thats how you come across, so what your an albino, doesnt affect my opinion of you one tiny amount, if you were here and a nice guy id happily go to the pub with you, be proud of what you are, your unique, revel in it, im unique too and very proud of it, and i wouldnt change any physical part of me even if i could. I had the stigma of being the short one always picked on every day (without fail) for over 10 years, but so what, i dont care, means i have plenty of short jokes on tap [img]tongue.gif[/img] and people tend not to even notice im short anymore because they notice my personality and my confidence and that comes through over and above my physical side, everyone has some kind of aura of their personality which you notice first, before you notice physicalities, whether it is shown by the way they walk or the way they talk, and thats something you can improve on always.

and yes I too found that site to be extremly limited and biased in its depiction of a so called problem, i believe that will just further cause problems by complaining about it in that manner. Way i see it is just be yourself and be happy, if your a good person then you should have plenty of friends around you and a good life regardless of your physical appearence.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:32 AM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I found the Jim Carey films depiction insulting. The Time Machines Uber-Morlock was just another race of human altogether. Unless Albinos have a brain protruding down their backs...

Point taken however. As I said the Jim Carey one is insulting.

WOnderful link though Sio. I did some reading on all of it. Learned some new things. It also got me thinking about Caucasianism as a whole.

Blue eyes are of course a regressive gene, and are more sensative to sunlight than brown eyes. Many caucasians have blonde hair. I wonder how many of us then, have diluted versions of albinism?

Just pondering away. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again Sio. All the best in whatever you do.

http://www.hughwilson.com