Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-26-2002, 07:53 PM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Who had to work on Christmas day/night? How was it?
How about New Year's Eve?

I had to/will work on both...Christmas was surreal, NYE will be hell on earth..
Share your pain...

Edit: Dec 26th was also a public holiday here (worked) as is 1/1/03 (will work)
Sigh

[ 12-26-2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 12-26-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If we had recieved our material (lumber) we would have worked. It was wednesday for christs sake [img]tongue.gif[/img] *bad pun* But I have worked on christmas before

[ 12-26-2002, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Lord of Alcohol ]
Old 12-26-2002, 07:58 PM   #3
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
If we had recieved our material (lumber) we would have worked. It was wednesday for christs sake [img]tongue.gif[/img] *bad pun* But I have worked on christmas before
All the trees were being used for something else that day I believe...
Old 12-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #4
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I had to work the day before and the day after Thanksgiving as well as Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I still got to spend time with my family, so all was well anyway...and time and a half doesn't hurt, either.
[img]\"http://home.earthlink.net/~moraine_sedai/_uimages/dragonmage.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/hero2.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Alureth...Dragon friend of Lady Breanna<br /><br />Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.<br />Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force<br />Mother Hen of IW and Mage extraordinaire.<br /><br />Utterly in love with my soul mate, Hiram.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

I guess it depends on how you'd define work. We went up to the cabin for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, but I did take the laptop and put in a few hours work in the evening after Ashley had gone to bed.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:28 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I had to work Christmas Eve and today. Goes with the territory. I have often spent Christmas Day at the hospital and in the ER. Frantic, usually.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I had to work Christmas. The work load was pretty slow. I did get compensation though (triple time), but would have preferred the day off. My mother is in a rehab center, so I barely saw her for half an hour on Christmas eve (I worked nights on Christmas eve, then days on Christmas day). To make matters worse, I got there and found out that since there was a skeleton crew, she wasn't really cared for that well. There's other issues with that too, but I will hold off on that for now. I visited on Christmas day for about 2 hours, but she was so depressed that it wore on me really bad. The rest of the family is in North Carolina. If it wasn't for Becky and Pauline, I think I would have been totally depressed myself. Even with that, I didn't have time to devote to either of them because of the situation with my mom. She is a city above mine and I work two cities to the south. Lot of driving time even though it was all local.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:49 AM   #8
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I guess it depends on how you'd define work. We went up to the cabin for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, but I did take the laptop and put in a few hours work in the evening after Ashley had gone to bed.
Good to see you back mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'd been wondering how you've been since your accident. Hope you and your fam had a fantastic holiday break.

Back on topic ... I had to work every day up to Christmas and then back on Boxing Day and I'm working up till New Years, get a day off there and then back the day after that for another week And the stink thing is that I don't get any extra pay - just a coupla days in lieu for working the public hols (Which isn't all bad but I'd rather have the day off).
Old 12-27-2002, 03:34 AM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I have to face up to a 12 hour shift on new years day - will have to be up and outta bed by 05:30 - looks like it will be an early one for me the night before
Old 12-27-2002, 05:42 AM   #10
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
I had to work Christmas. The work load was pretty slow. I did get compensation though (triple time), but would have preferred the day off. My mother is in a rehab center, so I barely saw her for half an hour on Christmas eve (I worked nights on Christmas eve, then days on Christmas day). To make matters worse, I got there and found out that since there was a skeleton crew, she wasn't really cared for that well. There's other issues with that too, but I will hold off on that for now. I visited on Christmas day for about 2 hours, but she was so depressed that it wore on me really bad. The rest of the family is in North Carolina. If it wasn't for Becky and Pauline, I think I would have been totally depressed myself. Even with that, I didn't have time to devote to either of them because of the situation with my mom. She is a city above mine and I work two cities to the south. Lot of driving time even though it was all local.
Tobbin - sorry to hear of your troubles mate but it's good to see you back here.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show