Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2002, 07:16 AM   #91
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Well yes, it was more a figure of speech. But I've just wondered how he's managed to get away with it for so long.
the populace would much rather have HIM than kowtow to heathen Westerners. Nasty or not, he is still theirs

Besides, who's to say any replacement would be better? Better the devil you know than the devil you don't

Old 05-07-2002, 07:23 AM   #92
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not to close to all this in OZ, but it did make the news - apparently Fortuyn would have been a "kingmaker" of sorts had his party won the number of seats as was expected, as he would have held a lot of leverage - for better or worse.

Irrespective of whether or not you agree with a politician's views, I don't believe it is acceptable to resort to (or support the use of) violence to sway public opinion, ESPECIALLY if they are abiding by a democratic process. (Even though Abraham Lincoln originally advocated it, all those years ago. )

In closing, I'm glad you sorted out your differences in this thread all by yourselves, without need for any outside interference. I'm proud of you all! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 05-07-2002, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-07-2002, 07:35 AM   #93
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Irrespective of whether or not you agree with a politician's views, I don't believe it is acceptable to resort to (or support the use of) violence to sway public opinion, ESPECIALLY if they are abiding by a democratic process. (Even though Abraham Lincoln originally advocated it, all those years ago. )

In closing, I'm glad you sorted out your differences in this thread all by yourselves, without need for any outside interference. I'm proud of you all! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
*snogs Memsy*

HAH!

Old 05-07-2002, 10:01 AM   #94
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Well yes, it was more a figure of speech. But I've just wondered how he's managed to get away with it for so long.
by striking fear into the hearts of any possible oponents. It's quite simple really, stand up against saddam and you die.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:53 AM   #95
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
It looks like Godwin's law has taken place here.

quote:
Godwins Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
The implication being that whoever compared another person to a Nazi has killed the debate (and lost it).

I don't know too much about Fortuyn, except that he was right-wing. However, calling him a Nazi is going overboard, unless he literally wanted to "cleanse" the Earth the way Hitler tried to...

It is unfortunate that he was killed, no politician deserves that. The way to defeat politicians is not by gunshots, but by the voting booth.
[/QUOTE]Very well said Alexander.. Talthyr, what you said about Pim Fortuyn being a nazi was way passed the line . I don't agree with Pim's idea's, but if one supports the right wing, and is a nazi according to you, then there are a lot of nazi's on this world.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 05-07-2002, 02:07 PM   #96
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
It looks like Godwin's law has taken place here.

quote:
Godwins Law - As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
The implication being that whoever compared another person to a Nazi has killed the debate (and lost it).

I don't know too much about Fortuyn, except that he was right-wing. However, calling him a Nazi is going overboard, unless he literally wanted to "cleanse" the Earth the way Hitler tried to...

It is unfortunate that he was killed, no politician deserves that. The way to defeat politicians is not by gunshots, but by the voting booth.
[/QUOTE]Very well said Alexander.. Talthyr, what you said about Pim Fortuyn being a nazi was way passed the line . I don't agree with Pim's idea's, but if one supports the right wing, and is a nazi according to you, then there are a lot of nazi's on this world.
[/QUOTE]Ummm, sorry, I think you may have the wrong person... I said that he wasn't a nazi.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:26 PM   #97
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I was led to believe he was some kind of hero on this forum http://www.sherdog.com/cgi-bin/ubb/u...c&f=2&t=003063 Whos lying?
Old 05-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #98
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
LOL, an asshole I may be Mario, but I wanted to try put right what I did wrong (when I came to my senses). Just glad it worked out OK thanks to the good folks here at IW. Great bunch of people here. I love you all [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-07-2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]