Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2001, 06:41 PM   #31
Draconia

I agree, what is the point in having a night blooming flower if you can't enjoy it while you are awake. Yes, Hyacinth smells really nice. It is has been a long time since I have smelled that tho. I might have to go to someone's house that has one here in town.
Umm, I have no idea about that tree. I have never smelled a tree that smelled like a fish. I hope I never do. No you didn't gross me out. I will see if I can find out what kind of tree that is. I am curious.
I hope to plant a variety of flowers this year. I found a yellow lilac bush I want to get. It is really pretty and I have never seen one before. I just hate to order out of a catalog but living here, there aren't many nurseries by me.
I found some really pretty lilies that seem to do wonderful here. I am also partial to the name. It's called Corina Lily. It is a really dark red. I have other lilies but the Corina Lilies are my favorite.
I don't have many trees around me. We started some black walnut trees from the seed. I still can't believe we did that. They are doing so well. We planted 5 and 2 grew. It is amazing to see those trees grow from the seed. Plus to see them survive every year. Those trees are my husband's babies.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:26 PM   #32
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Well my dear sweet lady friends Draconia and LadyZ, since this is the only place that I can find you, I will say HELLO LOVELY LADIES to you in here I hope you are both doing well, I really do....
Smitten by LadyRae
Old 04-07-2001, 07:46 PM   #33
Draconia

Hi The.Relic. It is good to see you.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:51 PM   #34
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Draconia:
I agree, what is the point in having a night blooming flower if you can't enjoy it while you are awake. Yes, Hyacinth smells really nice. It is has been a long time since I have smelled that tho. I might have to go to someone's house that has one here in town.
Umm, I have no idea about that tree. I have never smelled a tree that smelled like a fish. I hope I never do. No you didn't gross me out. I will see if I can find out what kind of tree that is. I am curious.
I hope to plant a variety of flowers this year. I found a yellow lilac bush I want to get. It is really pretty and I have never seen one before. I just hate to order out of a catalog but living here, there aren't many nurseries by me.
I found some really pretty lilies that seem to do wonderful here. I am also partial to the name. It's called Corina Lily. It is a really dark red. I have other lilies but the Corina Lilies are my favorite.
I don't have many trees around me. We started some black walnut trees from the seed. I still can't believe we did that. They are doing so well. We planted 5 and 2 grew. It is amazing to see those trees grow from the seed. Plus to see them survive every year. Those trees are my husband's babies.

Draconia - Still, though, with all the "fanfare" this night blooming jasmine has been getting, I have to find a spot for one if I can find it just to see what they mean. I'll let you know how it goes in the future on that one! I guess since you live in such a small town you don't see hyacinth in the grocery stores? They always have bulbs in grocery stores every year here. Hyacinth are really easy to come by. Yes, I have never ordered an actual "plant" via magazine either (some sell seeds (say that three times fast), but I think that sometimes it is really best to get a small plant already started instead, that way you have better luck with it actually staying alive!). Seeds can be a pain, especially if you have sqirrells and birds digging them up! Good luck figuring out my stink tree! I've looked at photos in many gardening books, and I see trees that resemble this tree, but I can't tell which one because they don't mention the "distinctive" aroma! All I know is they have a huge nursery in the area of our old house that has every tree imaginable for sale. Never smelled one of those there though.!

I've never had any lilies before. When do they bloom? Do they need shade or sunlight? Just curious. Yes, funny that one is called a "Corina lilly"! Of course it must be beautiful!

Wow, don't walnut trees get huge? Wish I could do that I love big trees. Unfortunately with my limited space here at this new house, I will have to stick to something small. Magnolias can get extremely large and spread out, but it takes many many many years. Still want one!!

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 08:29 PM   #35
Moni

I just wanted to let y'all know that the lady came through today and planted Ivy, Wandering Jews, Honeysuckle and Jasmine around the house! I would have waited for a new moon persoanlly but she was anxious to trim her own back yard up so it all got done today.

Her planting methods left me somewhat speechless...dig a hole, shove cuttings in and cover most of them up LOL! Man if I handled plants that way they would die in my hands lol. I told her that she could do all the work so that if they do all die, she can't blame me

She is a friend and the statement was taken as the joke it was intended to be but I seriously wonder how they will make it. She promised that if I just keep the areas watered, it will all take root and by this time next year, there will be pretty blooms all over the place.

Here's to hoping she's right!

Moni

Old 04-07-2001, 09:09 PM   #36
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
I just wanted to let y'all know that the lady came through today and planted Ivy, Wandering Jews, Honeysuckle and Jasmine around the house! I would have waited for a new moon persoanlly but she was anxious to trim her own back yard up so it all got done today.

Her planting methods left me somewhat speechless...dig a hole, shove cuttings in and cover most of them up LOL! Man if I handled plants that way they would die in my hands lol. I told her that she could do all the work so that if they do all die, she can't blame me

She is a friend and the statement was taken as the joke it was intended to be but I seriously wonder how they will make it. She promised that if I just keep the areas watered, it will all take root and by this time next year, there will be pretty blooms all over the place.

Here's to hoping she's right!

Moni

Well, hopefully your soil is favorable. If it is loose, then the roots should be able to move around, but if you have clay dirt, that may be a problem if she just dug a simple hole and tossed em' in. You could always take a shovel and just make deep "dents" into the soil around the perimeter of the plant (don't hit the roots!) and rock the shovel a bit back and forth to loosen up the soil a bit. Helps a lot I can tell you. We have a lot of clay round these parts where I'm living! Also mulch does wonders, I'd put some underneath them!
As for Honeysuckle, from what I have seen they seem to be very hardy and should make it as long as the roots aren't exposed or anything no matter what kind of soil you have. Good luck friend! Hope they all make it!

I'm no expert, just going on what I have learned myself so far

------------------
Old 04-07-2001, 09:20 PM   #37
Moni

ladyzekke,

Thank you for your knowledge! It sure takes a load of worry off my mind thinking they might not make it! The soil is excellent! Buried in dead leaves for thirty years, it is rich as it can be in all the flower beds around here. Even in the back yard along the fence, where most of the honeysuckle was put, the soil is loose and healthy.

Thanks again! I have one less thing to stress about now! (Hmmm...thinking about it, that was my ONLY source of stress so THANK YOU!)

Moni

P.S. I copied your sig straight into my cache so she always shows now in all her splendid glory!

Old 04-07-2001, 09:28 PM   #38
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I just like to say that all of your gardens sounds wonderful and well that pretty much it, can't seem to grow anything myself, even grass, it all dies on me.
Old 04-07-2001, 09:42 PM   #39
Moni

Aw Gabriel!

I used to kill anything I even LOOKED at and then one day my whole attitude on life changed...plants that I tend seem to thrive now.

Get to know your soil and look at almanacs for local planting and cutting schedules that coincide with the waning and waxing of the moon!

Best thing I could have done for myself was to really learn how to handle plant life!

Treat plants as if they are living creatures and they will respond as such

Moni

Old 04-07-2001, 09:45 PM   #40
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
ladyzekke,

Thank you for your knowledge! It sure takes a load of worry off my mind thinking they might not make it! The soil is excellent! Buried in dead leaves for thirty years, it is rich as it can be in all the flower beds around here. Even in the back yard along the fence, where most of the honeysuckle was put, the soil is loose and healthy.

Thanks again! I have one less thing to stress about now! (Hmmm...thinking about it, that was my ONLY source of stress so THANK YOU!)

Moni

P.S. I copied your sig straight into my cache so she always shows now in all her splendid glory!

Wow, sounds like you have perfect soil (those dead leaves really are a good thing because they attract worms, which aerate the soil!) You definitely have nothing to worry about I think. Glad I made you feel a little less stressful about it!

HAHA! I'll don't know how to do your "cache" thingy, but I will most definitely look out for your sig as well! Mayhap one of these days I'll buy W&W and you can help me with questions!

------------------