Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

Please help, i have the dreaded chronic restart syndrome. No really, for the first time EVER i got through the underdark. I usually restart at that point. I also killed firky, first go ever with a 5 man lvl 11 party no restarts either . Also no harm spell or greater malison doom chromatic orb. yea im quite proud. Any who i am upto suldannessalar(sp?) and I have the urge to restart as a paladin.

I need to get outa this habit, i wanna play into TOB but at the moment I can't because i keep restarting AHH! I will hopefully not restart this time.

Perhaps i just like the roleplaying part. I mean i like the story but maybe i just like to roleplay all chars. hmm. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get outa the chronic restart syndrome?

Thanx by the way, i kinda rambled on...

Tom-Slayer
Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

Can some one also reinterperate(sp?) the meaning of being lawful good to me?

As i see it, if you were ordered by say, Amn's highest position council member or whatnot you know, to kill someone, if you went to kill them and found out they had done nothing wrong, they follow the laws and orders and therefore would have to kill him right? Good example the valygar situation.

This is often why i never play lawful good and allways neutral good, because the character has a moral compass and he will object if he thinks its wrong.

Can someone clear up Lawful good alignments definition for me, because at the moment it can be evil.

Thanx in advance

Tom-Slayer
Old 09-06-2005, 03:08 AM   #3
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Tom-Slayer,

I would be surprised if just about everyone isn't a chronic restarter! I can understand also that you'd be inclined to bail out of games during the Underdark, as it's a fairly long and gloomy part of the game.

I'm hard pressed to come up with a solution for you, other than to say that if it's the role-playing elements that attract you, then by completing the game you'll get resolution on your role in the scheme of things. Along the way there will be more dialogue to have with your party, villagers to save, and possibly a romance to continue. As a powergamer on the other hand, you shouldn't allow yourself to leave boss enemies unbeaten.

You could start a log of your game, and somehow make it a community exercise, either through 'story-telling' in a thread, or alternately getting people in the Ironworks Forum to direct your party's next challenge, or your party's composition, or even things such as which weapons or spells are selected for each character ... just a thought. [img]graemlins/confuse21.gif[/img]

As for "please explain alignment" questions ... 'tis nothing less than a can of worms. I would say that 'ever so generally'; lawful = conventional, chaotic = radical, good = generous, evil = selfish, but the application of alignments (particularly in BG2) is pretty fuzzy.
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 AM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I am a chronic restarter. If you want to restart, you should, just don't delete your saved games. If you get the urge to go back, you're free to do so. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 03:55 AM   #5
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

Thanx for all the advice, i may just do some of that... the only bad thing about reloading old save games is it hard to pick up where i left from.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

That's what the journal is for.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Lawful Good is supposed to be the classic goody two shoes. With the Valygar situation if you've been ordered to slay Valygar you'd go because it's the right, or lawful thing to do as you've been ordered to by a superior (as it were). You wouldn't kill him out of hand, except in self-defence, and would feel inclined to drag him in before the Cowled Wizards for a proper trial. If you perceived that he wasn't getting fair treatment from the Wizards, you might then have to react on his behalf.

Similarly, you don't go around looking in the boxes and crates around Athkatla I feel, as the contents could quite easily belong to somebody that doesn't have a home. That's just me personally. You don't steal off anybody at all really, but defeating bad guys does give you the opportunity to make some extra cash.

As an example ( Potential SPOILER)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
you wouldn't do Xzar's quest for Montaron, or defeat the Cowled Wizard for Edwin. In fact you wouldn't really want to be associated with the Shadow Thieves at all. As far as you could help it that is but the game doesn't give you that chance.

Really though Tom-Slayer, I wouldn't worry about it. Neither BG/BG2 gives you much opportunity to keep within alignments as far as I'm concerned. As an example, you don't get rewarded for acting evil if you play an evil character as much as you get rewarded for acting as a good guy. A certain underdark dragon comes to mind... The ancient, if not redundant, alignment system was implemented but not fully utilised/realised. Then again, the reputation system is rubbish too, so go figure!

Edit: I too suffer from CRS. Five characters on the go at the moment. Plus, I've had an idea or two since, so I might go home this evening and roll them up as well!

[ 09-06-2005, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 09-06-2005, 04:54 AM   #8
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

How true how true, thanx again guys, i will take your opinions into mind. I suppose i just have to live with it eh? Good gaming.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom-Slayer:
Anyone got any suggestions on how to get outa the chronic restart syndrome?
1) Apply some restrictions on how you roll characters (for instance, I only use natural rolls: I never use the + and - buttons to move stat points around).
2) Get a really, really good roll. (My current BG2 character is a Generic Archer with stats of 16/19/16/14/19/17.)

No, I didn't make this post just to brag. I don't think. :hmm:
Old 09-07-2005, 02:39 AM   #10
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

Okay, il run through the game with this party...grrr i will lol. The only bad thing is i think i got a few too many tanks.

Me- Cavalier
Saerilith - Fighter ? (can't remember)
Keldorn - Inquisitor
Anomen - Cleric/fighter

I got this far, i will prob put in immy as a mage and theif, i don't want aerie. I could have minsc but i think i will wait till TOB.

So it will look like;

Me- Cavalier
Saerilith - Fighter ? (can't remember)
Keldorn - Inquisitor
Anomen - Cleric/fighter
Imoen - theif/mage
TOB NPC

Have i got too many tanks? i will probably use anomen and imoen for ranged, even though anomen should be in combat. Oh well, has anyone got any suggestions?

Also would it seem right if my paladin had a cat for a familiar? I plan on naming him Justice. Lol Justice will be swift and final !

Thanx in adance

Tom-Slayer